Sealing a chemical Reaction in furnace(Final Beng mechanical Eng. project)

In summary: They are made to withstand high pressures and temperatures, and are usually leak-proof. They are also quite affordable. You could also look into using a gasket, something like silicone or rosin, which is also quite leak-proof and can withstand high temperatures. You could also look into using a gasket, something like silicone or rosin, which is also quite leak-proof and can withstand high temperatures.
maqadir
HELP NEEDED Sealing chemical Reaction in furnace(Beng mech Eng. project)

Hello everyone,
I had posted a similar thread earlier, got a few responses, but nothing enough to drive me out of my problem, even my project supervisor at Uni of Notts is confused!
(https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=283985)

I just thought, as a last ditch effort, maybe someone could help me this time around.
The picture below, shows the furnace that i have to work with ( the mechanical bits of this project are that i have to design a motor, that makes the tube rotate, as shown by the bold arrows because currently that tube just sits stationary

http://s3.supload.com/free/Furnace.jpg/view/

Now, since its an open ended tube, and hollow, the material fed in, is a solid state powder ( tungsten oxide) and gas ( hydrogen sulphide) which is toxic and smelly!

Now as a mechanical engineer, i have already designed a motor and a way that will make the tube rotate, however, for the life in me, i cannot find out how to seal the two ends ( sealing the two ends is very important as the gas being fed is toxic)

Also the seal needs to be such that, only the outer bit of the seal rotates with the tube, and the middle remains stationary, so that material can be fed through the middle. Note: Material can't be fed through, if the tube is sealed with a method, whereby both the tube and seal rotate. Also the seal should have holes for feeding

Any ideas?

Thankyou

Attachments

• Furnace.jpg
    Furnace.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 382
Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Have you considered something along the lines of a magnetic seal? Where is the seal located, and what temperatures conditions will it be under?

minger said:
Have you considered something along the lines of a magnetic seal? Where is the seal located, and what temperatures conditions will it be under?

The seal once i have found the right one, will go onto the ends of the working tube. ( the thing is, the tube rotates in the furnace already. Since its rotating, and its open ended, it needs to be sealed, because gas is going to be fed in. No you can seal it with almost anything that can stand temperatures of up to 200 Degrees C, but obviously, if i use anything to seal it, the seal too will rotate, making it impossible to feed the gas. So i need a seal, that can stand temperatures of up to 200 degrees C, and not rotate along with the tube and also have two holes, so that the gas and powder can be fed into the working tube easily.
ID of the glass tube is 34:38 (inner:eek:uter diameter in mm)

Your best bet it to look at pneumatic couplers, like the ones used for air hoses on compressed air systems.

1. How does sealing a chemical reaction in a furnace work?

Sealing a chemical reaction in a furnace involves creating an airtight environment where the reaction can take place without any interference from outside elements. This is typically achieved by using a furnace with a sealed chamber and using inert gases such as nitrogen or argon to prevent any unwanted reactions from occurring.

2. What are the benefits of sealing a chemical reaction in a furnace?

Sealing a chemical reaction in a furnace allows for better control and optimization of the reaction conditions. It also helps to prevent any contamination or loss of reactants, resulting in a more efficient and reliable process. Additionally, by sealing the reaction, it can be carried out at higher temperatures and pressures, which can lead to higher yields and faster reaction rates.

3. Are there any limitations to sealing a chemical reaction in a furnace?

While sealing a chemical reaction in a furnace can offer many benefits, there are also some limitations to consider. The type of furnace and sealing method used may not be suitable for all reactions, and there may be safety concerns when working with high temperatures and pressures. It is important to carefully evaluate the specific reaction and select the appropriate equipment and sealing method.

4. How do you choose the right furnace and sealing method for a specific chemical reaction?

The choice of furnace and sealing method will depend on various factors such as the type of reaction, required temperature and pressure, and the reactants and products involved. It is essential to consult with experts and carefully consider the specific requirements of the reaction before making a decision. Conducting thorough research and experimentation can also help determine the most suitable furnace and sealing method for a particular chemical reaction.

5. What are some common applications of sealing chemical reactions in furnaces?

Sealing chemical reactions in furnaces is commonly used in industries such as pharmaceuticals, petrochemicals, and materials science. It can be used for various processes, including synthesis, purification, and heat treatment. Some specific applications include the production of high-purity materials, the creation of new compounds, and the development of advanced materials with unique properties.