Search for CPT violation with protons/antiprotons using quantum logic

In summary, the BASE collaboration has proposed a cool paper discussing g-2 measurements for protons and anti-protons sourced from CERN. These measurements could potentially deviate from the Standard Model. To perform the measurements, they plan to load a proton or anti-proton in a Penning trap and use quantum logic techniques to exchange its spin state with a co-trapped beryllium ion, which can be laser cooled. They aim to start taking data in 4-8 years, but there are many challenges in the build and characterization of the system. Additionally, they use 3 SWAP gates in the process to overcome the issue of Coulomb repulsion between the ion and the proton. This proposal showcases advanced techniques developed over the
Twigg
Science Advisor
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Found a cool proposal on the arxiv from the BASE collaboration. Put a proton in a Penning trap with a beryllium ion. Let the proton spin precess for a while. SWAP the proton spin state with the beryllium spin state a la quantum logic techniques. Readout the beryllium state. Get a g-2 measurement. Repeat the process for an antiproton. Look for CPT violation.
Just wanted to share a cool proposal paper from the BASE collaboration. I found this article dense and the theoretical aspects are way above my pay grade, so please chime in if you think I get anything wrong. For the record, I have no ties to this group and hadn't heard of them before this paper.

Why:
Perform g-2 measurements for protons and anti-protons sourced from CERN. Any difference in the g-2 measurements (protons vs anti-protons) would be a deviation from the Standard Model.

What:
Load a proton (or anti-proton) in a Penning trap. Cool it down with a combination of resistive and sympathetic cooling with a co-trapped beryllium ion (which can be laser cooled). Use quantum logic techniques (3 SWAP gates, each with a very different implementation) to exchange the spin state of the proton (antiproton) and the beryllium ion. Read out the spin state of the beryllium with good ol' laser spectroscopy. A previous paper from this group shows numerical simulations for the state exchange with 1% error rate (it will surely be higher in a real implementation).

How:
Check out figure 2 in the paper. The top panel of the figure is a cartoon of the trap layout. There are 4 stages, starting from the right and propagating to the left. I'm not sure where cooling takes place on this figure. The first stage is for precession, and the last 3 are for quantum logic and readout.

When:
I imagine they'll be ready to start taking data in something like 4-8 years. This is one heck of a build they're talking about. There are a lot of processes that need to be characterized. One of the oft-overlooked difficulties of multi-trap systems is their sheer mechanical complexity. I count 28 precision machined electrodes in the cartoon, plus who knows how many fasteners, electrical contacts, etc. That's hundreds of failure points. And remember that fixing anyone of these means breaking vacuum and having to do a vacuum bake (at least a week of just slow-cooking the chamber). This doesn't include magnetic shielding, or any cryogenic shields for blackbody effects (not clear to me if that will be necessary or not).

Overall, I find this a really exciting proposal, and these folks have a lot of work to do (which is normal, in precision measurement). Part of what I like is that it showcases a lot of advanced techniques developed over the last two decades. This is definitely a complicated measurement.

Likes Wrichik Basu and Greg Bernhardt
Physics news on Phys.org
Figured I'd add a comment on a technical aspect that might not be clear: Why do they use 3 SWAP gates if they're just exchanging the spin state of the proton (or antiproton) onto the beryllium ion? It's because you can't get the ion and the proton close enough for their spins to interact directly due to Coulomb repulsion. Spins interact via dipole fields, so they go as ##\frac{1}{r^3}##, whereas the coulomb potential goes as ##\frac{1}{r}## (much stronger at long range). Even if you could get them close enough, it'd be a highly uncontrolled process and you'd be extremely like to see your ions and/or protons skedaddle out of the trap. So instead, they SWAP the proton's spin state with it's motional state, then SWAP the proton's motional state with the beryllium's motional state via coulomb interaction, then SWAP the beryllium's motional state with its spin state with a sideband-resolved laser pulse. It's just a detour.

Sorry, I'm totally nerding out over this. o0)

1. What is CPT violation?

CPT violation is a theoretical concept in physics that suggests that the laws of physics may not be symmetric under the combined operations of charge conjugation (C), parity transformation (P), and time reversal (T). This means that if we were to reverse the charge, mirror the system, and run time backwards, the laws of physics may not behave in the same way.

2. How is quantum logic used in the search for CPT violation?

Quantum logic is a mathematical framework used to describe the behavior of quantum systems. In the search for CPT violation, quantum logic is used to analyze the behavior of protons and antiprotons in a quantum state. By comparing the behavior of these particles, scientists can look for any deviations that may indicate CPT violation.

3. Why are protons and antiprotons used in the search for CPT violation?

Protons and antiprotons are used because they are oppositely charged particles with the same mass. This makes them ideal for studying CPT symmetry, as any differences in their behavior could indicate CPT violation. Additionally, these particles can be created and manipulated in a controlled environment, making them useful for experimental studies.

4. What are the potential implications of finding CPT violation?

If CPT violation is found, it could have significant implications for our understanding of the fundamental laws of physics. It could suggest that our current theories, such as the Standard Model, are incomplete and may require modification. Additionally, it could open up new avenues for research and potentially lead to the discovery of new particles or phenomena.

5. How do scientists conduct experiments to search for CPT violation?

Scientists use a variety of experimental techniques to search for CPT violation. One approach is to compare the behavior of protons and antiprotons in a controlled environment, looking for any differences that may indicate CPT violation. Other methods involve studying the behavior of particles in high-energy collisions or using precision measurements of particle properties. These experiments require advanced technology and collaboration between different research groups.