Search for Intelligence on Earth

In summary, the point was that, even if ET was everywhere, we would not be able to detect them because we cannot see beyond the horizon.
newjerseyrunner
I was discussing the Fermi Paradox with a coworker at lunch and he made a very good point that I hadn’t considered and I don’t really hear mentioned on the topic: distribution.

The assumption that if ET was everywhere, we should see it everywhere. The point was that that should be true for humanity on Earth as well.

We’ve for all practical purposes completely covered the planet as thoroughly as Id expect a colonizing species to cover its cosmic neighborhood.

I play Geoguesser. It is very common to be plopped down in a location where the only sign of humanity is the road the street view is on. And this is because GeoGuessr only comes from that sample on roads.

But if you truly plopped down on a random location on Earth with binoculars and maybe even a radio receiver, how likely would you be able to detect humanity? 2/3 of the time, you’d be in the ocean. Huge chunks of the planet are covered in ice, desert, forest…

We tried to Google various things and couldn’t really figure out a way to quantify it. You could probably see a mile or two on average? At high elevations it’ll be far longer, in dense jungles it’ll be essentially zero.

Physics news on Phys.org
That's silly (best family friendly adjective that I could come up with on short notice).

Give me a loincloth and a crystal radio and a long wire, and I can detect radio transmissions pretty much anywhere on Earth. It may take me 12 hours to do so (Quiz Question -- why?), but it's pretty much a certainty.

Well, technically I don't need the loincloth, but again, just trying to keep this PF thread family-friendly. :wink:

1654128629613.png

https://www.dga.org/Craft/DGAQ/All-Articles/1202-Spring-2012/Shot-to-Remember-The-Right-Stuff.aspx

• Haha
Likes Klystron, Mondayman, pinball1970 and 1 other person
In drawing an analogy between the Earth and ... the galaxy, why would you limit your Earth observations to binoculars? That severely limits your observations to the horizon.

We can see through the back side of our galaxy, into the next one, on out of the local cluster, all the way to the CMBR.

If we were to analogize that to Earth, you ought to be able to see, well (pi to the e, carry the one) 12,500 miles in any direction.

1. What is the purpose of the Search for Intelligence on Earth?

The purpose of the Search for Intelligence on Earth is to discover and study any potential signs of intelligent life on our planet. This includes actively searching for extraterrestrial signals, analyzing data from space missions, and exploring our own planet for evidence of past or present intelligent life.

2. How is the Search for Intelligence on Earth conducted?

The Search for Intelligence on Earth involves a variety of methods, such as using radio telescopes to listen for signals from other civilizations, analyzing data from space missions like the Mars rover, and studying the history and evolution of life on Earth. Scientists also use mathematical and statistical models to help identify potential patterns or anomalies that could indicate the presence of intelligent life.

3. What are the potential implications of finding intelligence on Earth?

The discovery of intelligence on Earth would have significant implications for our understanding of the universe and our place in it. It could also lead to advancements in technology and communication, as well as philosophical and ethical discussions about our relationship with other intelligent beings.

4. Is there evidence of intelligence on Earth?

While there is no definitive evidence of extraterrestrial intelligence on Earth, there have been many intriguing discoveries and theories that suggest the possibility of past or present intelligent life. These include the presence of complex organisms on Earth, the potential for microbial life on other planets, and unexplained phenomena that could be attributed to intelligent beings.

5. How does the Search for Intelligence on Earth relate to the search for extraterrestrial life?

The Search for Intelligence on Earth is a subset of the broader search for extraterrestrial life. While the focus is on finding signs of intelligence on our own planet, the ultimate goal is to understand the potential for life beyond Earth. By studying our own planet and its history, we can gain insights into the conditions and processes that could support life on other planets.