Searching for Answers: Finding Help in PF to ID a Stone Tool

• Thread starter rnevels
  • Start date
  • Tags
    artifact
In summary: Fossilized bone can be difficult to identify because it can be changed over time depending on the environment it is buried in. In summary, this object may be an indigenous stone tool that was found in Northwest Arkansas.
rnevels
How did you find PF?: Goggle search

We recently found this stone object on our property here in NWA, and we were wondering if there was someone in PF that could assist us in identifying if this might be an indigenous stone tool. From a layman’s perspective it seems to be intentionally shaped and “used” due to the concave in the bottom of the stone. It also has what feels like an intentional “fit” to the hand for holding and use.

Thanks in advance for any guidance and direction you can provide in helping us identify this object.

Attachments

• RRN - Artifact 1.jpg
    RRN - Artifact 1.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 62
  • RRN - Artifact 2.jpg
    RRN - Artifact 2.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 58
  • RRN - Artifact 3.jpg
    RRN - Artifact 3.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 69
  • RRN - Artifact 4.jpg
    RRN - Artifact 4.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 64
  • RRN - Artifact 5.jpg
    RRN - Artifact 5.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 61
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF. :smile:

rnevels said:
We recently found this stone object on our property here in NWA
Is NWA Northwest Arizona or Arkansas or elsewhere? Can you say what type of terrain this was found in? Do you know of any Indian tribes who used to live in the area?

Good evening and thanks for the questions.

NW Arkansas, our property is only approximately 7 miles from where the Arkansas, Oklahoma, and Missouri borders meet. The terrain the object was found in is a hallow/draw surrounded by pasture and is rocky and tree covered with a wet weather water flow during rainy conditions. Osage, Quapaw, Caddo, and Cherokee tribes existed and/or frequented the area.

rnevels said:
Good evening and thanks for the questions.

NW Arkansas, our property is only approximately 7 miles from where the Arkansas, Oklahoma, and Missouri borders meet. The terrain the object was found in is a hallow/draw surrounded by pasture and is rocky and tree covered with a wet weather water flow during rainy conditions. Osage, Quapaw, Caddo, and Cherokee tribes existed and/or frequented the area.
Here's a couple PF threads from long ago:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...e-early-american-indian-tools-please.1008583/
https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...please-any-info-welcome.1012894/#post-6606437

You might check if it is a piece of Fossilized Bone.

1. What is the purpose of "Searching for Answers: Finding Help in PF to ID a Stone Tool"?

The purpose of this article is to provide guidance and resources for identifying a stone tool found in the Pacific Northwest region. It aims to help individuals who are interested in archaeology or geology to properly identify and learn more about the stone tool they have discovered.

2. How can I identify a stone tool?

To identify a stone tool, you can start by examining its shape, size, and material. You can also look for any markings or patterns on the tool. Additionally, researching the local geology and history of the area where the tool was found can provide valuable information for identification.

3. What resources can I use to help me identify a stone tool?

There are several resources available for identifying stone tools, such as online databases, books, and local museums or universities with experts in archaeology or geology. You can also reach out to local archaeological societies or organizations for assistance.

4. What should I do if I am unsure about the identification of a stone tool?

If you are unsure about the identification of a stone tool, it is best to seek help from experts in the field. You can consult with archaeologists, geologists, or members of local archaeological societies for their expertise and guidance.

5. Can I keep the stone tool I found?

In most cases, it is legal to keep a stone tool that you have found on public land. However, it is important to check with local laws and regulations to ensure that you are not breaking any rules. It is also recommended to document the tool's location and any other important information before keeping it.