Searching for the Word for 100,000,000: Googleplex & Beyond

• Thread starter Hornbein
  • Start date
In summary: Beyond a trillion, however, I don't see the point of those names, as honestly scientific notation actually becomes clearer. You can say 4.819335x1024 more easily then "Four Septilian, eight hectosextillion, one decisectillion, nine sextillion..."
Hornbein
10,000 is a myriad.
100,000 is a lakh
10,000,000 is a crore

But nothing special after that except google and googleplex.

Anyone know a word for 100,000,000?

(The "Related Threads" listing for this sure is bizarre.)

Science news on Phys.org
100,000,000 is a squared myriad. So it could be a quadramyriad.

Likes sysprog
Hornbein said:
10,000 is a myriad.
100,000 is a lakh
10,000,000 is a crore

But nothing special after that except google and googleplex.

Anyone know a word for 100,000,000?

(The "Related Threads" listing for this sure is bizarre.)
The number you listed is sayable as one hundred million, and sorry to be fussy, but the spelling of the number 'googol' is differerent from that of the search engine 'google, and so is that of the 'googol' in the number googolplex. If you're interested in expression of very large numbers, perhaps you might look at Prof. Knuth's up arrow notation.

Last edited:
Likes Mark44, pinball1970 and PeroK
sysprog said:
The number you listed is satable as one hundred million.
That's three words.

Likes sysprog
Hornbein said:
That's three words.
Yes, "one hundred million" is three words; ok ##-## so (along the lines of your "squared myriad" suggestion) we can reduce the saying of 100,000,000 to two instances of one word (one of them singular form and one of them plural form): 'myriad myriads'. :wink:

Last edited:
Likes sysprog
robphy said:
100,000,000 = 1 hectomillion = 1 decibillion
Should be 10 decabillion I guess, otherwise it is a tenth of a billion.

Arjan82 said:
Should be 10 decabillion I guess, otherwise it is a tenth of a billion.
100,000,000 = (0.1)(1 billion)

Likes sysprog
robphy said:
I have the ultimate reply to this alas I do not have access. Right now. Tomorrow morning.
Names, scope and context. The full nine yards, 27 feetish

• Haha
Likes sysprog
robphy said:
Ok... so I fantasized 3 extra zeros into the number :rolleyes:🤣

• Haha
Likes sysprog
In Chinese, the traditional power of ten groupings are by ##10^4## instead of the Western system of ##10^3##. So you have
十 = 10
百 = 100
千 = 1 000
万= 10 000
And then it repeats:
十万 = 100 000 (ten ten-thousands)
百万 = 1 000 000 (one hundred ten-thousands)
千万 = 10 000 000 (one thousand ten-thousands)
亿 = 100 000 000
They match up at ##10^{3\times4}##, or a trillion, which is 万亿.

Edit: If you want a word for 100 000 000 specifically, 亿 is yì, (which ironically, is a near homophone of the Chinese word for one: yī).

Last edited:
Likes Hornbein, sysprog and BWV
Looking into this further I quite like deca and deci, ten times a decamillion being a decibillion. However they have the flaw of differing only by one letter. Hekto sounds too much like "what the heck" or "heckle." It's ugly. Ini this case Latin and Greek are the same. Centi is possible but I think a decamillion is better than a centibillion. What do y'all think?

Maybe deka and deci. They are pronounced differently so that's quite legit.

Hornbein said:
Looking into this further I quite like deca and deci, ten times a decamillion being a decibillion. However they have the flaw of differing only by one letter. Hekto sounds too much like "what the heck" or "heckle." It's ugly. Ini this case Latin and Greek are the same. Centi is possible but I think a decamillion is better than a centibillion. What do y'all think?

Maybe deka and deci. They are pronounced differently so that's quite legit.
@jedishrfu posted this in 2018 wrt to grahams number. Some great examples

https://waitbutwhy.com/2014/11/1000000-grahams-number.html

Hornbein said:
Hekto sounds too much like "what the heck" or "heckle." It's ugly.
I'd definitely go with Deca and Hecto, as that matches the real world convention of affixing ten- and hundred-
to the number name. A suffix that makes a number smaller only happens in fractions in English. Being clear is much more important than being pretty sounding. "Googol" itself is an example of that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Names_of_large_numbers

Beyond a trillion, however, I don't see the point of those names, as honestly scientific notation actually becomes clearer. You can say 4.819335x1024 more easily then "Four Septilian, eight hectosextillion, one decisectillion, nine sextillion..."

Likes Tom.G

1. What is the significance of the title "Searching for the Word for 100,000,000: Googleplex & Beyond"?

The title refers to the vastness of the internet and the endless possibilities for information and knowledge that can be found through search engines like Google. The word "Googleplex" is a play on the term "googolplex," which is the number 10^googol, or 10^10^100. This highlights the immense amount of information and data that can be accessed through Google.

2. What is the main focus of "Searching for the Word for 100,000,000: Googleplex & Beyond"?

The main focus of this book is the history, development, and impact of Google as a search engine and a company. It also explores the future of search technology and its potential implications for society.

3. How does this book discuss the role of artificial intelligence in search technology?

The book delves into the use of artificial intelligence and machine learning in search algorithms, which allow for more personalized and accurate search results. It also discusses the ethical considerations surrounding AI in search technology, such as privacy and bias.

4. Does "Searching for the Word for 100,000,000: Googleplex & Beyond" discuss any controversies surrounding Google?

Yes, the book addresses various controversies surrounding Google, such as its monopoly on the search engine market, its use of user data, and its impact on privacy and democracy. It also examines the company's response to these controversies and its efforts to address them.

5. Is this book suitable for non-scientific readers?

Yes, this book is accessible and engaging for readers of all backgrounds. While it does discuss technical aspects of search technology, it also provides a broader perspective on the cultural, economic, and social impact of Google and search engines in general.