Are these journals reliable? (Elimination of hiccups after chemotherapy)

• Medical
  • Thread starter Wrichik Basu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Journals
In summary, the conversation discusses the hiccups experienced by the father of the speaker, who is currently receiving chemotherapy for stage 4 metastatic lung adenocarcinoma. After researching, the speaker found articles suggesting that changing the medication from dexamethasone to methylprednisolone may decrease the intensity of hiccups. They plan to discuss this with the oncologist, but will follow the doctor's recommendations and not make any changes without their approval.
Wrichik Basu
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Some of you here may know from one of my earlier profile posts that my father has been diagnosed with stage 4 metastatic lung adenocarcinoma. He is receiving chemotherapy, the exact drugs being Pemetrexed, Carboplatin and bevacizumab.

After his first chemo cycle, he started having hiccups, but they stopped after taking one tablet of Baclofen 10 mg. Today, he came home after his 2nd cycle, but the hiccups are no longer stopping with baclofen. Our family physician (who is a senior doctor with a degree in internal medicine), after speaking to our oncologist, increased the dose of baclofen 10 mg to three times per day. Don't know whether that will work, but Dad is suffering quite a lot from the hiccups.

I was searching on Google to find a remedy for the hiccups. Several papers stated that dexamethasone, which is given for prevention of chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting (CINV), is possibly the cause of the persistent hiccups. These are the papers:
The first of these states, in its abstract, that elimination of dexamethasone stopped the hiccups, and did not have any impact on CINV. The second states the same, except that there was a decrease in protection against CINV after withholding dexamethasone in the next cycle of chemo.

After searching some more, I found the following papers that state that changing dexamethasone to methylprednisolone decreases the intensity of hiccups by a large extent, and, in some cases, eliminates hiccups.
I am not asking for medical advice here. I am not asking whether the doctor should actually switch to methylprednisolone because that will be decided by the doctor himself. But, I am thinking of sending these articles to him and then requesting him to explore the possibility of replacing dexamethasone. This is where I need your help: I have absolutely no idea about journals in medical science. Are the journals (where the above papers are published) reliable? I found all of these papers via PubMed, by the way.

• Sad
Likes atyy and pinball1970
Biology news on Phys.org
Sorry to hear about our Dad. :frown:

I don't know anything about those journals.
The more specialized a journal is, the less it is know to those outside of its particular field.

You might get a wider understanding of hiccups from articles like this:
Here is a General overview of hiccups.
It discusses the neural reflex circuit that gets activated to generate the hiccup behavior, some anatomy, various ways the behavior might be affected, pharmacology, and possible treatments.

Likes atyy and pinball1970
Wrichik Basu said:
Our family physician (who is a senior doctor with a degree in internal medicine), after speaking to our oncologist, increased the dose of baclofen 10 mg to three times per day. Don't know whether that will work, but Dad is suffering quite a lot from the hiccups.
Regardless of the quality of the journals in this case, I would not recommend doing anything outside of the treatment recommendations and Rx given by the doctors who are familar with your father's case. It would be too easy to do something that could cause side-effects or compromise the efficacy of your father's treatment. Just keep the doctors in the loop for how the hiccups are responding to their treatments, and keep asking for them to improve the situation. I hope things get better soon.

Likes atyy, Evo and pinball1970
berkeman said:
I would not recommend doing anything outside of the treatment recommendations and Rx given by the doctors who are familar with your father's case. It would be too easy to do something that could cause side-effects or compromise the efficacy of your father's treatment.
Absolutely. What I am saying is that I will just discuss this with the oncologist. As far as I have seen him, he is an amicable person and does not have a problem in discussing things with the patient's family. Until and unless he gives a nod, we obviously cannot give Dad anything outside the prescription.

Likes atyy and berkeman

1. What is the credibility of the journals discussing the elimination of hiccups after chemotherapy?

The credibility of a journal can be determined by several factors, such as the reputation of the publishing company, the peer-review process, and the impact factor of the journal. It is important to look for journals that are reputable and have a rigorous peer-review process to ensure the reliability of the information presented.

2. Are there any conflicting studies or evidence on the effectiveness of chemotherapy in eliminating hiccups?

As with any scientific topic, there may be conflicting studies or evidence on the effectiveness of chemotherapy in eliminating hiccups. It is important to thoroughly review and analyze the methodology and results of each study to determine the validity of the findings.

3. How recent are the journals discussing the elimination of hiccups after chemotherapy?

The timeliness of the journals is an important factor to consider when evaluating their reliability. It is recommended to look for recent studies and articles, as they are more likely to reflect the current understanding and advancements in the field.

4. Are the journals peer-reviewed?

Peer-review is a critical process in scientific research, where experts in the field review and evaluate the quality and validity of a study before it is published. It is important to look for journals that have a rigorous peer-review process to ensure the reliability of the information presented.

5. Are there any conflicts of interest or funding sources mentioned in the journals?

Conflicts of interest or funding sources can potentially influence the findings and conclusions of a study. It is important to look for any disclosures of conflicts of interest or funding sources in the journals to assess the potential bias in the research.

Back