Second derivative of a metric and the Riemann curvature tensor

In summary, the conversation is discussing the Riemann curvature tensor in inertial coordinates and its relationship with the symmetrized Riemann tensor. The symmetrized tensor has 20 independent components and symmetries, and the Riemann tensor can be expressed in terms of the symmetrized tensor.
MarkovMarakov
I can't see how to get the following result. Help would be appreciated!

This question has to do with the Riemann curvature tensor in inertial coordinates.

Such that, if I'm not wrong, (in inertial coordinates) [tex]R_{abcd}=\frac{1}{2} (g_{ad,bc}+g_{bc,ad}-g_{bd,ac}-g_{ac,bd})[/tex]
where [itex]",_i"[/itex] denotes [itex]\partial \over \partial x^i[/itex].

How does [tex]g_{ab,cd}=-\frac{1}{3}(R_{acbd}+R_{adbc})[/tex]?
______
So
[tex]-\frac{1}{3}(R_{acbd}+R_{adbc})=-\frac{1}{6}(g_{bc,ad}+g_{ad,bc}-g_{ba,cd}-g_{cd,ab}+g_{bd,ac}+g_{ac,bd}-g_{ab,cd}-g_{cd,ab})[/tex]
[tex]=-\frac{1}{6}(g_{bc,ad}+g_{ad,bc}+g_{bd,ac}+g_{ac,bd})+\frac{1}{3}g_{cd,ab}+\frac{1}{3}g_{ab,cd}[/tex]
But how does [tex]\frac{1}{6}(g_{bc,ad}+g_{ad,bc}+g_{bd,ac}+g_{ac,bd})+\frac{1}{3}g_{cd,ab}=\frac{2}{3}g_{ab,cd}[/tex]
____
...Have I made a mistake?

Physics news on Phys.org
How does gab,cd = −1/3(Racbd + Radbc)?
Clearly it doesn't! I'd be curious to know where you saw the relationship.

The RHS is known as the symmetrized Riemann tensor, Sabcd ≡ −1/3(Racbd + Radbc). It has 20 independent components, just like the Riemann tensor, with symmetries Sabcd = Sbacd = Sabdc = Scdab and Sabcd + Sacdb + Sadbc = 0. Conversely the Riemann tensor can be given in terms of the symmetrized tensor as Rabcd = Sadcb - Sacdb.

Related to Second derivative of a metric and the Riemann curvature tensor

1. What is the second derivative of a metric?

The second derivative of a metric refers to the mathematical concept of taking the derivative of the metric tensor twice. It is used in differential geometry to describe the curvature of a space.

2. How is the Riemann curvature tensor related to the second derivative of a metric?

The Riemann curvature tensor is a mathematical object that describes the curvature of a space in terms of its second derivatives. It is derived from the second derivative of the metric tensor and is used to measure the curvature of a space at a given point.

3. What does the Riemann curvature tensor tell us about a space?

The Riemann curvature tensor provides valuable information about the geometry of a space. It tells us about the curvature of the space at a given point, including the magnitude and direction of the curvature. It also allows us to make comparisons between different points in a space and determine if it is flat, positively curved, or negatively curved.

4. How is the Riemann curvature tensor calculated?

The Riemann curvature tensor is calculated using the second derivatives of the metric tensor. It is a complex calculation that involves taking the difference between two covariant derivatives of a vector field. This calculation is repeated for each combination of basis vectors to produce a matrix of values that make up the Riemann curvature tensor.

5. Why is the Riemann curvature tensor important in physics?

The Riemann curvature tensor is an essential tool in physics, particularly in the study of general relativity. It allows us to describe the curvature of spacetime and how it is affected by the presence of mass and energy. The Riemann curvature tensor is also used in other fields of physics, such as cosmology and quantum field theory.