Second derivative of friction force question

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of friction force per unit volume in boundary layers and its relation to the free stream velocity and boundary thickness. It is mentioned that the friction force per unit volume is represented by ##\partial \tau/\partial y## and is proportional to ##\mu\dfrac{\partial^2 u}{\partial y^2}##. The discussion also explains the reasoning behind the second derivative being proportional to delta^2 and the correct interpretation of this relationship.
fahraynk
I'm studying boundary layers. I am confused by what I am reading in this book.

The book says the friction force (F) per unit volume = $$\frac{dF}{dy}=\mu\frac{d^2U}{dy^2}$$
They say $$\frac{dU}{dy}=\frac{U_\infty}{\delta}$$

This makes sense to me, delta is the thickness in the y direction, and the velocity is 0 at the airfoil (or whatever object) and it equals the freestream velocity after the boundary thickness delta. so du/dy being proportional to the free stream velocity divided by the thickness makes sense.
But then they say this : $$\frac{d^2U}{dy^2} =\mu\frac{U_\infty}{\delta^2}$$

Can someone explain why the second derivative is proportional to delta^2 ?
Is it that, delta represents the thickness y, and so the second derivative of 1/y = -1/y^2, and we just ignore the negative?

Attachments

• upload_2017-4-29_17-46-23.png
    upload_2017-4-29_17-46-23.png
    12.4 KB · Views: 456
Physics news on Phys.org
Well for one, friction force per unit volume is not ##dF/dy## as you have written it. It is ##\partial \tau/\partial y##. The difference is important, because ##F## is a force, and ##\tau## is a stress. The units don't work out if you use ##F##.

So then the friction force per unit volume is
[tex]\dfrac{\partial \tau}{\partial y} = \mu\dfrac{\partial^2 u}{\partial y^2}.[/tex]
So, if you've already come to terms with the fact that
[tex]\dfrac{\partial u}{\partial y} \sim \dfrac{U_{\infty}}{\delta},[/tex]
Then the same logic leads to
[tex]\dfrac{\partial \tau}{\partial y} = \mu\dfrac{\partial}{\partial y}\left(\dfrac{\partial u}{\partial y}\right) \sim \mu\dfrac{\partial}{\partial y}\left(\dfrac{U_{\infty}}{\delta}\right) \sim \mu\dfrac{U_{\infty}}{\delta^2}.[/tex]

Likes fahraynk
Hi thank you for replying.

Ah okay, I think I figured it out.
I see how $$\frac{\partial u}{\partial y} = \frac{U\infty}{\delta}$$ because... it U=0 at the boundary and U_infty after a distance delta, so it should be proportional.

So I think :
$$\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial y^2} = \frac{\frac{\partial u}{\partial y}_\infty}{\delta} = \frac{U\infty}{\delta^2}$$ Or basically du/dt/delta = u_infty/delta^2
Is this the correct interpretation?

You got it.

Likes fahraynk

1. What is the second derivative of friction force?

The second derivative of friction force is the rate of change of the first derivative of friction force with respect to time or displacement. It represents the change in acceleration of an object due to the change in the force of friction.

2. Why is the second derivative of friction force important?

The second derivative of friction force is important because it helps us understand the dynamic behavior of objects in motion. It can indicate whether an object is accelerating or decelerating due to changes in friction force, and can also help in predicting the stability of an object.

3. How is the second derivative of friction force calculated?

The second derivative of friction force can be calculated by taking the derivative of the first derivative of friction force with respect to time or displacement. This can be done using calculus methods or by using numerical differentiation techniques.

4. What factors can affect the second derivative of friction force?

The second derivative of friction force can be affected by various factors such as the surface roughness, the normal force, the coefficient of friction, and the motion of the object. Changes in these factors can result in changes in the magnitude and direction of the second derivative of friction force.

5. How can the second derivative of friction force be used in real-life applications?

The second derivative of friction force can be used in various real-life applications such as vehicle dynamics, sports equipment design, and determining the stability of structures. It can also help in optimizing the performance of machines and improving safety measures in industries.