Second Derivative of Time Dilation Equation

In summary, the conversation discusses the time dilation equation and the process of taking its derivative using the chain rule. The conversation also addresses a discrepancy in the output of the second derivative and attempts to find the error in the calculation. The conversation concludes with a suggestion to rewrite the equation using exponents to make it easier to take derivatives using the power rule.
Eismcsquared
Hello all.
I was playing around with the time dilation equation : √(1-v2/c2)
Specifically, I decided to take the derivative(d/dv) of the equation. Following the rules of calculus, as little of them as I know, I got this:
d/dv(√(1-v2/c2) = v / (c2√(1-v2/c2)).
Now, this seems reasonable enough, and when I (don’t hate me for this) plugged in our original equation into Desmos, and asked for the derivative as well, my equation seemed to be correct.
However, every time I attempt to produce the second derivative of the equation, I end up with an output of simply -1. Naturally this is wrong, and desmos agrees.
Here’s my work:
-v • d/dv(1/√(1-v2/c2))•d/dv(-v)•1/√(1-v2/c2)
Continuing...
-v•1/(-v / c2√(1-v2/c2))
• 1/c2√(1-b2/c2) • -1
Simplifying...
-v•c2√(1-v2/c2)/(-v)
• -1/(c2√(1-v2/c2)
Simplifying some more, i get -1??
I have no clue where I’m going wrong.. I think it’s simply a matter of me not quite understanding one the calculus rules I used in this.
I’m sorry for any formatting errors/messiness but I’ll try to clean it up as best I can. I can’t seem to find the fraction button.

Physics news on Phys.org
Eismcsquared said:
I got this

Note that you left out the minus sign in front here. You put it in in your work further down, but I wanted to note that it's left out here.

Eismcsquared said:
Here’s my work

You're using the chain rule, which is fine. I would advise using units where ##c = 1##, which will reduce clutter and make it easier to do the math. That gives this for the first line of your work:

$$
\frac{d}{dv} \left ( - v \frac{1}{\sqrt{1 - v^2}} \right) = \left( \frac{d}{dv} - v \right) \left( \frac{1}{\sqrt{1 - v^2}} \right) - v \frac{d}{dv} \left( \frac{1}{\sqrt{1 - v^2}} \right)
$$

However, I don't think you're performing the derivative of ##1 / \sqrt{1 - v^2}## correctly. It might help to rewrite it using explicitly exponents, so that it's easier to take derivatives using the power rule ##d (x^n) = n x^{n - 1}##. Rewriting the second term above this way, and evaluating the first term since it's simple, you should get this:

$$
- \left( 1 - v^2 \right)^{- 1/2} - v \frac{d}{dv} \left( 1 - v^2 \right)^{- 1/2}
$$

Does that help to see how to correctly take the derivative of the second term?

Yes, thank you!

What is the Second Derivative of Time Dilation Equation?

The Second Derivative of Time Dilation Equation is a mathematical formula used to calculate the rate at which time passes for an object in motion relative to an observer. It takes into account the effects of both velocity and acceleration on the passage of time.

How is the Second Derivative of Time Dilation Equation derived?

The Second Derivative of Time Dilation Equation is derived from the Special Theory of Relativity, which states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion. It is based on the relationship between time, velocity, and acceleration as described by the Lorentz transformation equations.

What does the Second Derivative of Time Dilation Equation tell us about time dilation?

The Second Derivative of Time Dilation Equation tells us that as an object's velocity or acceleration increases, the rate at which time passes for that object will slow down. This is known as time dilation and is a fundamental principle of the Special Theory of Relativity.

Can the Second Derivative of Time Dilation Equation be applied to everyday situations?

Yes, the Second Derivative of Time Dilation Equation can be applied to everyday situations. For example, it can be used to calculate the slight time differences experienced by GPS satellites in orbit due to their high speeds. It can also be applied to understand the effects of time dilation in particle accelerators and other high-speed experiments.

Are there any limitations to the Second Derivative of Time Dilation Equation?

Like all scientific equations, the Second Derivative of Time Dilation Equation has its limitations. It is based on the assumptions of the Special Theory of Relativity and may not accurately describe extreme situations, such as near the speed of light or in the presence of strong gravitational fields. Additionally, it does not take into account other factors that may affect the passage of time, such as gravitational time dilation.