Second Life Continues to Blur the Line on its Currency

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Life Line
In summary, Linden CEO Mark Kingdon, continues to tout the ability to make real money and own property in the world. He also differentiated Linden$ from amusement park “coins” because they are redeemable for real money, given that the SL Terms of Service (§1.4) continues to describe the L$ instead as a “limited license right… and is not redeemable for monetary value from Linden Lab.”
What may be more interesting, at least from the legal perspective, is that Linden CEO Mark Kingdon, continues to tout the ability to make real money and own property in the world. In an interview posted on Virtual World News, I was particularly surprised that Kingdon (at about minute 16:30) specifically differentiated Linden$ from amusement park “coins” because they are redeemable for real money, given that the SL Terms of Service (§1.4) continues to describe the L$ instead as a “limited license right… and is not redeemable for monetary value from Linden Lab.”

More...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I was wondering about this when an online lady friend of mine tried hooking me into Second Life. I was surprised to find that one could apparently make money at this. Too bad I do not know anything about 3d modeling and rendering or I might be able to design virtual clothes and houses and such for extra cash.

I have recently become a resident on SL.
My avatar is Archimedes Tigerfish.

Go and visit the forums and the blogs to learn more about SL. If you like, there are Newbie Helpers on SL that will help you to have a more enjoyable experience on SL.

Are normal lives not good enough?

MotoH said:
Are normal lives not good enough?

SL is an extension. It's about the experience. We all have an extended reality that we construct in the mind.

I cannot nor will I attempt anyone to like the experience on SL. Perhaps, you could go and visit the SL website and tell me what you think. I would like to hear from people who don't like it.

With SL I can make new friends and could make money out of it. I'm looking at the different workshops offered on SL.

Please read : The Psychology of Avatars and Graphical Space in Multimedia Chat Communities

And, please share your thoughts.

I have to pay bills and buy things in real life, and I just can't see the point of doing it online besides the social part of it. I played SWG for a long time (still do off and on), but I stayed away from the role play as much as possible and just did it for PvP and SPvP.

I play Battlefield 2 Project Reality, and the only social part is squad based. No dealing with currency and things like that, just shooting and tactics.

Everyone has a different cup of tea I suppose.

Second Life: New reason to join?

Linden Labs has just launched a beta version.

http://www.geektown.ca/2010/03/second-life-the-world-that-wasnt-there.html

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Second Life Continues to Blur the Line on its Currency

1. What is Second Life and how does it blur the line on its currency?

Second Life is a virtual reality platform where users can create avatars and interact with each other in a simulated world. It blurs the line on its currency by having its own virtual currency, called Linden dollars, which can be used to buy virtual goods and services within the platform.

2. Is Linden dollars considered a real currency?

No, Linden dollars are not considered a real currency as they have no physical form and are not backed by a government or central bank. However, they can be exchanged for real money through authorized third-party exchanges.

3. How does Second Life regulate its virtual currency?

Second Life has its own internal economy team that oversees the creation and circulation of Linden dollars. They also have a set of rules and regulations in place to prevent fraud and maintain the value of their currency.

4. Can users earn real money from Second Life?

Yes, users can earn real money from Second Life by selling virtual goods and services for Linden dollars and then exchanging them for real money through authorized third-party exchanges. However, this is against the platform's terms of service and can result in a ban.

5. What impact does Second Life's virtual currency have on the real economy?

Second Life's virtual currency does not have a significant impact on the real economy as it is a closed system and the Linden dollar's value is not tied to any real-world currency. However, it does provide a way for users to engage in virtual commerce and can contribute to the overall economy of the platform.