Second Order Linear ODE - Power Series Solution to IVP

In summary: You can think of it as a zero times x^0 term if that helps.Sure. You can think of it as a zero times x^0 term if that helps.In summary, the problem is to find a power series solution for y(x) given the equation (x2-1)y''+x3y'+y=2x, with initial conditions y(0)=1 and y'(0)=0. The approach is to equate powers of x and use the equations for y(x), y'(x), and y''(x) to find a relation between the c_k values. The constant term 2x is not affected by the powers of x and can be left as is or treated as a zero times
ChemistryNat

Homework Statement

Let y(x)=[itex]\sum[/itex]ckxk (k=0 to ∞) be a power series solution of

(x2-1)y''+x3y'+y=2x, y(0)=1, y'(0)=0

Note that x=0 is an ordinary point.

Homework Equations

y(x)=[itex]\sum[/itex]ckxk (k=0 to ∞)
y'(x)=[itex]\sum[/itex](kckxk-1) (k=1 to ∞)
y''(x)=[itex]\sum[/itex](k(k-1))ckxk-2 (k=2 to ∞)

The Attempt at a Solution

(x2-1)[itex]\sum[/itex](k(k-1))ckxk-2 (k=2 to ∞) +[itex]\sum[/itex](kckxk) (k=1 to ∞)+[itex]\sum[/itex]ckxk (k=0 to ∞) -2x=0 ??

I'm not having an issue with the power series themselves, I'm just not sure how to incorporate in the "2x" term when I'm setting up the series equation. We didn't cover this scenario in class and I couldn't find anything like it in my textbook.

I've been trying to incorporate it as a series itself
ie. 2[itex]\sum[/itex]ckxk (k=0 to ∞) where C0=0, or 2[itex]\sum[/itex]ckxk (k=1 to ∞)
but I'm not sure I can even do that mathematically?Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
ChemistryNat said:

Homework Statement

Let y(x)=[itex]\sum[/itex]ckxk (k=0 to ∞) be a power series solution of

(x2-1)y''+x3y'+y=2x, y(0)=1, y'(0)=0

Note that x=0 is an ordinary point.

Homework Equations

y(x)=[itex]\sum[/itex]ckxk (k=0 to ∞)
y'(x)=[itex]\sum[/itex](kckxk-1) (k=1 to ∞)
y''(x)=[itex]\sum[/itex](k(k-1))ckxk-2 (k=2 to ∞)

The Attempt at a Solution

(x2-1)[itex]\sum[/itex](k(k-1))ckxk-2 (k=2 to ∞) +[itex]\sum[/itex](kckxk) (k=1 to ∞)+[itex]\sum[/itex]ckxk (k=0 to ∞) -2x=0 ??

I'm not having an issue with the power series themselves, I'm just not sure how to incorporate in the "2x" term when I'm setting up the series equation. We didn't cover this scenario in class and I couldn't find anything like it in my textbook.

I've been trying to incorporate it as a series itself
ie. 2[itex]\sum[/itex]ckxk (k=0 to ∞) where C0=0, or 2[itex]\sum[/itex]ckxk (k=1 to ∞)
but I'm not sure I can even do that mathematically?Thank you!

Your are going to equate powers of x to get a relation between the c_k values, right? The -2x will only contribute the x^1 term, yes?

Dick said:
Your are going to equate powers of x to get a relation between the c_k values, right? The -2x will only contribute the x^1 term.

So I can leave it in as a constant coefficient term, say 2C1x? and then use that in combination with the other constants I've pulled out?

ChemistryNat said:
So I can leave it in as a constant coefficient term, say 2C1x? and then use that in combination with the other constants I've pulled out?

Mmm. Sort of, but the coefficient your x^1 term is only going to have a -2 in it. Without any C_k term in front of it. It's just a constant.

Last edited:
Dick said:
Mmm. Sort of, but the coefficient your x^1 term is only going to have a -2 in it. Without any C_k term in front of it. It's just a constant.

Oh! so I can just leave it be and put it with the other x1 coefficient terms?

ChemistryNat said:
Oh! so I can just leave it be and put it with the other x1 coefficient terms?

Sure.

Likes 1 person

Related to Second Order Linear ODE - Power Series Solution to IVP

What is a second order linear ordinary differential equation (ODE)?

A second order linear ODE is a mathematical equation that relates an unknown function to its derivatives. It is linear because the unknown function and its derivatives appear in a linear form, and it is ordinary because it only involves one independent variable.

What is a power series solution to an initial value problem (IVP)?

A power series solution to an IVP is a method used to approximate the solution to a differential equation by representing the solution as a sum of terms in a power series, where each term is a polynomial function of the independent variable. This method is useful when an analytic solution cannot be found.

What are the steps to solving a second order linear ODE using the power series method?

The steps to solving a second order linear ODE using the power series method are: 1) Write the differential equation in standard form, 2) Assume a power series solution and substitute it into the differential equation, 3) Equate coefficients of like powers of the independent variable, 4) Solve for the coefficients, and 5) Check the convergence of the series and choose appropriate initial conditions to obtain a unique solution.

What are the advantages of using the power series method to solve a second order linear ODE?

The power series method allows us to find an approximate solution to a differential equation when an analytic solution is not available. It also provides a systematic and efficient approach to solving differential equations, and it can be used to solve a wide range of initial value problems.

What are some applications of second order linear ODEs and their power series solutions?

Second order linear ODEs and their power series solutions have many applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. Some examples include modeling the motion of a spring-mass system, predicting the behavior of electrical circuits, and analyzing the dynamics of chemical reactions. They can also be used to model population growth, heat transfer, and fluid flow.