Second Quantization - Quasiparticles

In summary, Baym has a typo in equation 19-41 on page 420 of his book, which causes him trouble when trying to work through the calculation. He solves the problem by starting with the expression at the top of the front side of the paper, the left side of equation (20-41), which leaves off the ## |\Phi> ## etc., and inserting the identity operator for ## n ## particles, (equation 19-47), and then the summed over ## n ## from ## 0 ## to ## +\infty ##.
LarryC
Homework Statement
Find a general formula to the first order of the inter-particle interaction for the energy of an N+1 particle system of spin-1/2 fermions with one particle of momentum p outside of an N-particle Fermi sea.
Relevant Equations
Second quantization of fermions
(Simplified version of Baym, Chapter 19, Problem 2)
Calculate, to first order in the inter-particle interaction V(r-r'), the energy of an N+1 particle system of spin-1/2 fermions with on particle of momentum p outside an N-particle Fermi sea (quasiparticle state). The answer should be expressed as the difference of the energy of the specified state and the energy of the N-particle ground state. (Probably the easiest way is to use creation and annihilation operators to express the difference as the matrix element of a difference of operators - a difference that can be simplified using anti-commutation relations.)

Physics news on Phys.org
I can probably help you with this. I have the book by Baym, and tried to work through a calculation in 1979 involving equation 20-41 p.449. After getting stuck for about 2 weeks or more, I finally determined Baym has a typo in equation 19-41 on page 420. (I have the 6th printing). That equation should have ## \frac{1}{\sqrt{n}} ## instead of ## \frac{1}{\sqrt{n!}} ##.
So much trouble caused by an exclamation mark!=factorial symbol. Once I figured that out, my calculation with equation 20-41 worked. Starting with 19-43 and the corrected 19-41, and 19-42, looking at equation 19-50, I was able to get equation 20-41 to work.
I still have that original paper. Let me take a photo of both sides of the paper, and upload it...

56353960_2586918574714980_6086939196486844416_o.jpg
55465149_2586919351381569_349704530822168576_o.jpg

In the photos above, the lower image is the front side of the paper, and the upper image is the back side. The images aren't real clear, but perhaps you can follow the calculation.
To see what I did here, I took the expression at the top of the front side of the paper, the left side of equation (20-41), which leaves off the ## |\Phi> ## etc., and I inserted the identity operator for ## n ## particles, (equation 19-47), and then the summed over ## n ## from ## 0 ## to ## +\infty ##.
The rest is a lot of algebra using 19-41, 19-42, 19-43, and 19-50 to get 20-41 to work.

Last edited:

1. What is second quantization?

Second quantization is a mathematical framework used in quantum mechanics to describe many-particle systems. It is a generalization of the traditional quantum mechanics that applies to systems with an indefinite number of particles, such as solids, liquids, and gases.

2. What are quasiparticles?

Quasiparticles are collective excitations that behave like particles in a solid-state system, even though they are not actual particles. They arise due to the interactions between the particles in the system and can have different properties, such as charge, spin, and energy.

3. How are quasiparticles different from real particles?

Quasiparticles do not have an independent existence and are only defined within the context of the system they arise in. They also have different properties and interactions compared to real particles, making them distinct from actual particles.

4. What is the significance of quasiparticles in condensed matter physics?

Quasiparticles play a crucial role in understanding the behavior of solids, liquids, and gases at a microscopic level. They help explain many phenomena, such as electrical conductivity, magnetism, and superconductivity, and have led to the development of new technologies, such as transistors and lasers.

5. How does second quantization describe the behavior of quasiparticles?

Second quantization uses operators to describe the creation and annihilation of quasiparticles in a many-particle system. These operators act on a state vector that represents the entire system, allowing for the calculation of properties and interactions of quasiparticles within the system.