Seeking Advice on Chemistry Study

In summary, it would be beneficial for you to review the basics of general chemistry before moving on to organic chemistry and biochemistry, and also to read some research papers in your field to gain more knowledge and understanding.
bacte2013
Hello!

I am a rising sophomore with double majors in a chemistry and microbiology. The reason I wrote this post is to seek your advice on my plan to review the chemistry for myself and for the research lab; I am currently working for the synthetic chemistry lab that focuses on the antibiotics and medical microbiology. Besides the research, I do not have anything to do for this summer so I am planning to devote the time on my studying.

I will be taking the organic chemistry course along with the biochemistry. I think it is a good idea to preview the organic chemistry during this summer, but I think I did not master my general chemistry as well as I should...I remember that the course was heavily focused on the physical chemistry (elementary). Should I skip the review of general chemistry and go right into studying of organic chemistry and research-related papers, or should I review the general chemistry during this summer? Can I study both organic chemistry, general chemistry, and biochemistry at the same time? Here are the topics from general chemistry that I feel confident: wavefunctions and electron density, basics of chemical bonding (no MO theory), stoichiometry, and acids-bases & electrochemistry & chemical equilibrium (I took the analytical chemistry on last semester).

Thank you very much for your time!
I look forward to your advice!

Physics news on Phys.org
Since you have some background in general chemistry already, it may be helpful to review the basics of the topics you feel confident with before moving on to organic chemistry and biochemistry. This will help give you a good foundation for the more advanced topics that will come in those courses. It might be beneficial to focus on the topics from general chemistry that you are less confident in, as they may be important building blocks for organic chemistry and biochemistry. Additionally, if there is time in your schedule, it could be helpful to read some research papers related to the field to get a better understanding of current research.

What is the best way to study chemistry?

The best way to study chemistry is to actively engage with the material, rather than just passively reading or memorizing information. This can include practicing problems, creating study guides, and participating in group discussions or study sessions.

How should I prepare for a chemistry exam?

To prepare for a chemistry exam, it is important to review all of the material covered in class and in your textbook. Make sure to also practice problems and review any notes or study guides that you have created. It can also be helpful to take practice exams or quizzes to get a feel for the types of questions that may be asked.

What resources are available for studying chemistry?

There are many resources available for studying chemistry, including textbooks, online tutorials and videos, study guides, and practice problems. Your school or university may also offer tutoring services or study groups for chemistry students.

How can I improve my understanding of difficult chemistry concepts?

If you are struggling with understanding certain chemistry concepts, try breaking them down into smaller, more manageable parts. You can also seek help from a teacher, tutor, or classmate, and use visual aids or online resources to supplement your learning.

What study habits should I adopt for success in chemistry?

To be successful in chemistry, it is important to develop good study habits such as staying organized, setting aside dedicated study time, and regularly reviewing material. It can also be helpful to actively participate in class and ask questions when you don't understand something.