Seeking better explanation of some quantum stats formulae

In summary: Understanding their derivation will help you better understand their significance in quantum mechanics.In summary, in "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics", Griffiths introduces three formulae for counting the number of configurations for particles, based on whether the particles are distinguishable (N!), fermions (d_n!/(N_n!(d_n-N_n)!)), or bosons ((N_n+d_n-1)!/(N_n!(d_n-1)!)). These expressions can be found through a search for "statistical mechanics fermion and boson partition formulas" and can be further understood by working through their derivation in the microcanonical ensemble.
SamRoss
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Reading Griffiths. He derives some formulas but I'm not following.
In "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics", Griffiths derives the following formulae for counting the number of configurations for N particles.

Distinguishable particles...
$$ N!\prod_{n=1}^\infty \frac {d^{N_n}_n} {N_n !} $$

Fermions...
$$ \prod_{n=1}^\infty \frac {d_n!} {N_n!(d_n-N_n)!}$$

Bosons...
$$\prod_{n=1}^\infty \frac {(N_n+d_n-1)!} {N_n!(d_n-1)!}$$

In the above, ##N_n## stands for the number of particles in the nth state and ##d_n## stands for the degeneracy of the nth state. My confusion is not with the mathematics of combinatorics but only how it is being used here. Griffiths speaks of "picking particles" and "bins" and I'm only vaguely able to follow his argument. Furthermore, I can't search for these formulae online because they are not named in the text and I have been unsuccessful with searches for "quantum statistics", "configurations", etc. Can anyone here recognize these formulae and point me to a derivation of them? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
BvU said:
And found all your expressions -- with a little more explanation

Awesome. Thanks!

You should try working these expressions out on your own as they are very common in statistical mechanics.

1. What is quantum statistics and why is it important?

Quantum statistics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of particles at the quantum level. It is important because it helps us understand the properties of matter and energy at a microscopic scale, and is essential for various fields such as quantum computing and nanotechnology.

2. What are some common formulae used in quantum statistics?

Some common formulae used in quantum statistics include the Bose-Einstein distribution, Fermi-Dirac distribution, and the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution. These formulae are used to describe the probability of particles occupying different energy levels in a system.

3. How do these formulae differ from classical statistics?

Quantum statistics and classical statistics differ in their assumptions about the behavior of particles. Classical statistics assumes that particles are distinguishable and can be treated as individual objects, while quantum statistics takes into account the quantum nature of particles and their indistinguishability.

4. Can quantum statistics be applied to macroscopic systems?

Yes, quantum statistics can be applied to macroscopic systems as well. While it is commonly used to describe the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level, it can also be used to understand the behavior of larger systems such as gases and solids.

5. How can I better understand quantum statistics formulae?

To better understand quantum statistics formulae, it is important to have a strong foundation in mathematics and quantum mechanics. It also helps to practice solving problems and working through examples to gain a better understanding of how the formulae are applied in different scenarios.