Seeking suggestions for journals to publish paper

In summary, the speaker is an undergraduate student who was assigned a project to simulate the deformation of an elastic membrane. They have spent a lot of time on it and the results seem okay, but they are unsure if their work would be accepted by any SCI journals. They are seeking suggestions for potential journals, but it is unlikely that their work would be published unless it is novel or unique.
Fin_de_Siecle
I am a undergraduate student now and I have joined in a project in my college. I was assigned a job to simulate the deformation of an elastic membrane given the boundary and the exerted forces on it. It seems to be a homework problem and quite fundamental, but I really have spent much time on it and the results seem okay. Is it possible there are some SCI journals might accept my work?

I'd appreciate a lot if you can list me some possible choices.

Thank you so much.

Physics news on Phys.org
The usual answer is "whatever journal it fits in best, based on your reading". If you say, "but I'm not reading any", then your answer is usually 'nowhere'. If you don't know what else has been done in a field, it is highly unlikely that you have produced anything useful. Scientific publication is a dialog, and wanting to talk without listening is no more popular there than anywhere else.

That said, I suspect very, very few journals are interested in publishing answers to homework problems.

Fin_de_Siecle said:
It seems to be a homework problem and quite fundamental, but I really have spent much time on it and the results seem okay..

The amount of time you spent on it was, probably, a function of the amount of learning you had to do to solve it, not the intrinsic difficulty of the problem.

It would be fairly easy to list 10 commercially available software packages (not to mention open source software) that would give you a numerical solution to this. If your problem was straightforward to describe, it might take an experienced user say ten minutes to set it up and solve it. If it was hard, maybe half a day.

Unless there is something very novel about either your problem or the way you solved it, the chances of a journal publishing your work are zilch IMO.

1. What factors should I consider when choosing a journal to publish my paper?

There are several important factors to consider when choosing a journal to publish your paper. These include the journal's scope and focus, its impact factor and reputation, the target audience, the publication fees, and the submission guidelines and requirements.

2. Can you recommend any specific journals for my paper?

As a scientist, I am not able to recommend specific journals for your paper as I am not familiar with the specific details and findings of your research. However, there are several resources available online that can help you find potential journals, such as databases and directories of journals in your field of study.

3. How do I know if a journal is legitimate and reputable?

It is important to carefully evaluate the legitimacy and reputation of a journal before submitting your paper. You can do this by researching the journal's publisher, checking for any predatory practices, and looking at the journal's impact factor and indexing in reputable databases. Additionally, you can seek recommendations from colleagues and mentors in your field.

4. Should I prioritize open access journals for my paper?

This decision ultimately depends on your personal goals and values as well as the requirements of your funding agency or institution. Open access journals may have a wider readership and potentially higher impact, but they often require publication fees. It is important to carefully weigh the benefits and drawbacks of both open access and traditional journals.

5. What are some tips for increasing the chances of my paper being accepted for publication?

There are several strategies you can use to increase the chances of your paper being accepted for publication. These include carefully following the journal's submission guidelines, addressing any reviewer comments and suggestions, and choosing a journal that is a good fit for your research. It is also important to ensure that your paper is well-written, well-organized, and presents novel and significant findings.