Seeking Symmetry: Lie Group & Algebra Models

• I
  • Thread starter fresh_42
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Symmetries
In summary, the Lie algebra is a non trivial Lie algebra with a trivial center that has a complex representation in terms of diff operators.
fresh_42
Mentor
Insights Author
2023 Award
TL;DR Summary
Is there a physical system which uses these groups?
I wonder whether there is a physical theory / model / example whatever, that uses one of the (Lie) groups ##\begin{bmatrix}1&a_2&\ldots&a_n\\0&1&\ldots&0\\ \vdots & \vdots &&\vdots \\0&0&\ldots&1 \end{bmatrix}## or the Lie algebra ##\begin{bmatrix}a_1&a_2&\ldots&a_n\\0&0&\ldots&0\\ \vdots & \vdots &&\vdots \\0&0&\ldots&0 \end{bmatrix}##?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What exactly are the group and the algebra?

Under what operation is this a group? It can't be matrix multiplication because there is no identity.

Vanadium 50 said:
Under what operation is this a group? It can't be matrix multiplication because there is no identity.
Silly me. Corrected.
martinbn said:
What exactly are the group and the algebra?
Matrix multiplication and commutator, resp.

I would be happy if someone knew a representation of the Lie algebra in terms of differential operators.

Then the group is just the additive group ##\mathbb F^{n-1}##. The algebra should have zero in the top left, and is the trivial algebra, trivial commutator on ##\mathbb F^{n-1}##.

No, the algebra needs the non zero value at top left. I want it to be non nilpotent with a trivial center. It's basically the simplest non trivial Lie algebra with the multiplication table ##[X_1,X_i]=X_i## and ##[X_i.X_j]=0##. I admit that it's a bit of numerology I'm doing here. I'm chasing for an imagination of that Lie algebra. What is it good for? Does it occur anywhere? Modulo the fact that I didn't make any mistakes in my calculation, I found a cochain complex of that Lie algebra whose first cohomology group( space?) is ##\mathfrak{sl}_{(n-1)}##. This is funny by itself, but I wonder if it is just that: funny. A realization or representation via diff operators would at least help me better understand this property: Simplest non Abelian Lie algebra.

I assumed that the Lie algebra was supposed to be the Lie algebra of the given group. I ques that is not what you meant. In any case the group is just the additive group and is not that interesting. Of course translations appear here and there in physics.

It's becoming even more funnier: If we write ##\mathfrak{g}_n :=\langle X_1,\ldots\, , \,X_n\,|\,[X-1,X_k]=X_k\, , \,[X_i,X_j]=0\rangle## then I have a certain Chevalley-Eilenberg complex such that ##H^0(\mathfrak{g}_n)=H^2(\mathfrak{g}_n)=\{0\}## and ##H^1(\mathfrak{g}_n)\cong\mathfrak{sl}(n-1)\cong \mathfrak{su}(n-1)##. That's why I asked whether there is any meaning for ##\mathfrak{g}_n##. So far it's just an easy, but nasty calculation. I need a better understanding on the simple part: ##\mathfrak{g}_n##.

1. What is seeking symmetry in mathematics?

Seeking symmetry in mathematics is the process of identifying and studying patterns and structures that exhibit symmetry. This includes the study of groups, which are sets of objects with a defined operation that preserve certain properties, and algebras, which are mathematical structures that involve operations on sets of elements.

2. What are Lie groups and Lie algebras?

Lie groups are mathematical groups that are also smooth manifolds, meaning they can be described by a set of continuous parameters. Lie algebras are associated with Lie groups and are defined as vector spaces equipped with a bilinear operation called the Lie bracket, which captures the group's algebraic structure.

3. How are Lie groups and Lie algebras used in physics?

Lie groups and Lie algebras are used extensively in physics, particularly in the study of symmetries and conservation laws. They are used to describe the fundamental forces of nature and to understand the underlying mathematical structures that govern physical phenomena.

4. What are some real-world applications of Lie groups and Lie algebras?

Lie groups and Lie algebras have numerous applications in various fields, including computer graphics, robotics, cryptography, and chemistry. They are also used in economics and finance to model complex systems and in engineering to design efficient algorithms.

5. How does the study of Lie groups and Lie algebras contribute to our understanding of symmetry?

The study of Lie groups and Lie algebras provides a powerful framework for understanding and classifying symmetry in mathematics and physics. It allows us to identify common patterns and structures in diverse systems and to develop general theories that can be applied to a wide range of problems. Additionally, the study of Lie groups and Lie algebras has led to the discovery of new symmetries and their applications in various fields.