Seismic Global Activity & Nuclear Underground Testing, Bad Combo.

In summary, the conversation discusses the curiosity of historical seismic activity and the increase in seismic activity since the 20th century, as well as the number of underground nuclear tests conducted and their impact on seismic activity. The possibility of a nuclear bomb causing global increases in tectonic activity is dismissed and the increase in recorded seismic activity is attributed to the invention of the seismometer. The conversation ends with a suggestion for conducting studies on the combined impact of global nuclear detonations.
Atrayo
Hello All,

I've always been curious about historical seismic activity prior to the 20th century. Then the advent of the last century until now, i have heard that seismic activity has increased dramatically.

Then i got to conceptualizing how many underground nuclear test's have been conducted in our combined history to present?

I read somewhere it is in the thousands, recently a couple of years ago India & Pakistan both denoted their first nukes underground. Where do all those shock waves go once a nuclear bomb is set off underground? Does it just dissapate from a torrent to that of a lingering vibration hundreds of miles away sonically?

I'm guessing that a geologist, volcanist, and a nuclear physicist can help answer this preliminary theory. What if in our past one of these nukes were denoted near a seismic fault line or dormant volcano? Would the sonic impact to such tectonic plates mearly absorb the energy. Or somehow accerelate seismic activity on our planet worldwide. Perhaps like winding up a "jack in the box" until the eventual pop takes effect in a series of earthquakes or volcanic blasts.

Has there been any talk of any such studies being conducted? Perhaps mathematically calculating the combined impact of all global nuclear denonations. In terms of kinenetic energy released underground, while having a overlay seismic map of any nearby fault lines and other geological activity landmarks. (such as volcano's, etc..)

I'm always been curious of this, but I'm just a hobbyist conceptual builder.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
a Nuke might cause some small scale tremors to come out of a fault line, but that would not cause global increases in tectonic activity.

this perception that a nuclear bomb is some sort of super weapon capable of blowing the planet into an asteroid belt is ridiculous. all you get is a really big explosion and in the case of a Plutonium bomb, a lot of radiation that is hard to clean up.

I would also suggest that perhaps the increase in recorded siesmic activity is largely due to the increase in seismic monitoring. Since the invention of the seismometer, geologists have recorded dozens of tremors per day that went undetected before.

1. What is seismic global activity?

Seismic global activity refers to the occurrence of earthquakes and other seismic events around the world. This includes both natural earthquakes as well as those caused by human activities such as nuclear testing.

2. How do nuclear underground tests affect seismic global activity?

Nuclear underground tests can have a significant impact on seismic global activity. These tests involve detonating nuclear bombs underground, which can create large explosions and release a massive amount of energy into the ground. This energy can then trigger seismic waves and cause earthquakes in the surrounding area.

3. Are there any regulations in place to prevent the negative effects of nuclear underground testing on seismic global activity?

Yes, there are several international treaties and agreements in place to regulate and limit nuclear underground testing. For example, the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty (CTBT) bans all nuclear explosions, including those conducted underground. Additionally, many countries have their own regulations and protocols for conducting nuclear tests to minimize their impact on seismic global activity.

4. Can nuclear underground testing lead to larger earthquakes or other long-term effects?

There is evidence that nuclear underground testing can lead to larger earthquakes and other long-term effects. The energy released during these tests can trigger seismic activity in the surrounding area and can also cause damage to nearby fault lines. In some cases, these effects can be long-lasting and may even contribute to the formation of new seismic zones.

5. How do scientists monitor and track the effects of nuclear underground testing on seismic global activity?

Scientists use a variety of tools and techniques to monitor and track the effects of nuclear underground testing on seismic global activity. This includes seismometers, which measure seismic waves and can help identify and locate earthquakes caused by nuclear tests. Scientists also use computer models and simulations to study the potential impacts of nuclear testing on seismic activity around the world.

Back