Seismology and oil exploration

In summary, Seismology/Earthquake monitoring sensors could be used to detect fossil fuel reserves and eliminate the use of air-gun blasting that is wreaking havoc on ocean life.
Shane Kennedy
Having just read Scientific America's article on the Cascade fault, I wonder if Seismology/Earthquake monitoring sensors could be used to detect fossil fuel reserves and eliminate the use of air-gun blasting that is wreaking havoc on ocean life. Can the oil companies not use naturally occurring acoustic sources ? Why is it that air-guns are permitted, but using actual explosives (as in salvaging materials from shipwrecks) is tightly controlled and contained within bubble shields ?

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Greetings Shane

Shane Kennedy said:
I wonder if Seismology/Earthquake monitoring sensors could be used to detect fossil fuel reserves and eliminate the use of air-gun blasting that is wreaking havoc on ocean life. Can the oil companies not use naturally occurring acoustic sources ?
Not enough events often enough, nor close enough together, nor close enough to the exploration areas of interest
As a result there is a total lack of resolution in determining what lies below. Plus timing would be a huge problem.
Timing of the boomer and the return signal are very precisely known. This allows for pretty accurate determination
of water depth and depth to the various strata and their individual thicknesses.

Shane Kennedy said:
Why is it that air-guns are permitted,
They may do a little damage to fish life ……. I would suspect that most fish would flee the area after the first couple of booms

When I did geology at university, I did sessions of offshore (and onshore) seismic surveying
There was never a trail of dead fish floating to the surface behind the boat ……Dave

Last edited:
Likes johnbbahm
I have to agree with Dave, I took several research projects offshore on working seismic ships,
and there were not any trails of dead fish behind the ships.
If there had been there would also be a trail of sea gulls, like what follow a shrimp boat.
Air Guns are much better seismic sources than the aqua pulse that came before them.
An interesting note, the real signal from an air gun is the the bubble release, but the collapse
of the bubble, it produces a very clean negative pulse.

Likes davenn

1. What is seismology and how is it related to oil exploration?

Seismology is the study of earthquakes and the propagation of elastic waves through the Earth. It is related to oil exploration because seismic waves can be used to create images of the subsurface, which can help in identifying potential oil and gas reservoirs.

2. How do seismologists use seismic waves to locate oil deposits?

Seismologists use seismic waves by sending them into the ground and recording the reflections and refractions that occur at the interfaces between different rock layers. These reflections and refractions can indicate the presence of subsurface structures, such as oil and gas reservoirs.

3. What tools and technologies are used in seismology for oil exploration?

Some of the tools and technologies used in seismology for oil exploration include seismic sources, such as explosives or vibrators, and receivers, such as geophones or seismometers. Data processing and interpretation software are also essential for creating images of the subsurface.

4. What are the potential environmental impacts of seismology in oil exploration?

Seismic surveys can have potential environmental impacts, such as noise pollution, air pollution from seismic sources, and disturbance to wildlife. However, these impacts can be minimized through proper planning and implementation of environmental regulations.

5. How accurate are seismology-based oil exploration methods?

Seismology-based oil exploration methods can provide accurate images of the subsurface, but the accuracy depends on various factors, such as the quality of the data, the complexity of the subsurface, and the interpretation skills of the seismologists. Additional data, such as well logs and core samples, can also help improve accuracy.