Selecting an Axial Piston Pump for a 1000m Manned Submersible Application

In summary: Thanks!In summary, an axial piston pump may be a good option for a manned submersible if the flow rate is low and the power requirement is low.
ENGBIO
So I posted yesterday about appropriate pumps for pumping water out of a ballast tank in a manned submersibles at a depth of 1000m. I decided to switch to an axial piston pump. I got that the require pump head is approx. 410 m and the required power input provided by the pump is approx. 18 000W. My inlet diameter is 2.6 cm and my outlet diameter is 2 cm.

What would be a good axial piston pump I could use?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
ENGBIO said:
So I posted yesterday about appropriate pumps for pumping water out of a ballast tank in a manned submersibles at a depth of 1000m. I decided to switch to an axial piston pump. I got that the require pump head is approx. 410 m and the required power input provided by the pump is approx. 18 000W. My inlet diameter is 2.6 cm and my outlet diameter is 2 cm.

Whoa! 18000 watts is far too much if your purpose is only to maintain constant depth with a "trim tank". But if you're talking about diving and surfacing that's a different thing.

What is the flow rate in gallons or ft3 or m3 per second?

One you know the pressures, the flow rates, and the power requirements, why can't you just search the Internet for pumps meeting your specifications? Learning how to use research tools available to you may be part of the lesson your professor wants you to learn.

Likes russ_watters and berkeman
ENGBIO said:

What would be a good axial piston pump I could use?
In the previous thread you never nailed down the assumptions much less calculated the operating requirements. Please post a summary of the work you've done to get those answers so we know we aren't just providing meaningless help to move forward with bad critera/calculations.

anorlunda said:
Whoa! 18000 watts is far too much if your purpose is only to maintain constant depth with a "trim tank". But if you're talking about diving and surfacing that's a different thing.

What is the flow rate in gallons or ft3 or m3 per second?

One you know the pressures, the flow rates, and the power requirements, why can't you just search the Internet for pumps meeting your specifications? Learning how to use research tools available to you may be part of the lesson your professor wants you to learn.

Hi Anorlunda! My flow rate is 50 l/min or 0.000833333 m^3/s. I did look look online for a dc pump to meet my specifications but the one I found for that power was like 800 lbs lol...So I thought perhaps I was doing something wrong but I guess for that amount of power it would be quite large? Its odd though because how would small manned submersibles be able to accommodate such massive motors.

russ_watters said:
In the previous thread you never nailed down the assumptions much less calculated the operating requirements. Please post a summary of the work you've done to get those answers so we know we aren't just providing meaningless help to move forward with bad critera/calculations.

Yes, I apologize I didnt want to clog up the post with my calculations but I'll try to be clearer next time

OK, I must have been wrong in what your application is. I thought it was just trim to maintain constant depth.

An 18kw BLDC motor is similar to those used in electric cars. A quick search for those on alibaba showed some 20 kw weighing 39 kg. It might be similar to the motors used for propulsion.

How about using compressed gas instead of a pump for gross buoyancy control. A full compressed Nitrogen tank is at 2200psi and a high pressure SCUBA tank is in the 3300-3500psi range.

Likes russ_watters
A caution: be sure to thoroughly dry such air lest an urgent tank-blow cause icing in the lines...
IIRC, this was the probable cause of tragic loss of submarine USS Thresher...

Likes Tom.G
Nik_2213 said:
A caution: be sure to thoroughly dry such air lest an urgent tank-blow cause icing in the lines...
IIRC, this was the probable cause of tragic loss of submarine USS Thresher...
Ahh! So that's what did it. Good thing to note.

1. What is the maximum operating depth for a 1000m manned submersible?

The maximum operating depth for a 1000m manned submersible is 1000 meters, or approximately 3280 feet. This is the depth at which the submersible will be able to safely function and sustain human life.

2. What is the role of an axial piston pump in a 1000m manned submersible?

An axial piston pump is responsible for pressurizing and circulating hydraulic fluid throughout the submersible's hydraulic system. This allows for the operation of various systems and components, such as thrusters and manipulator arms, at the extreme depths of 1000 meters.

3. What factors should be considered when selecting an axial piston pump for a 1000m manned submersible?

When selecting an axial piston pump for a 1000m manned submersible, factors such as depth rating, flow rate, pressure rating, and material compatibility should be taken into consideration. It is important to choose a pump that is specifically designed for use in deep-sea environments and can meet the demanding requirements of a 1000m depth.

4. Are there any special maintenance considerations for an axial piston pump in a 1000m manned submersible?

Yes, there are special maintenance considerations for an axial piston pump in a 1000m manned submersible. Due to the extreme conditions at this depth, regular maintenance and inspection of the pump are crucial to ensure its proper functioning. This may include frequent fluid changes and cleaning of filters to prevent contamination.

5. How can I ensure the reliability and durability of an axial piston pump for a 1000m manned submersible?

To ensure the reliability and durability of an axial piston pump for a 1000m manned submersible, it is important to choose a high-quality pump from a reputable manufacturer. Regular maintenance and testing should also be conducted to identify any potential issues before they become major problems. Additionally, using compatible hydraulic fluids and following proper operating procedures can also help prolong the lifespan of the pump.