Selection rules using Group Theory: many body

In summary, the conversation is about using group theory to anticipate if a matrix element is zero or not, and references are suggested for further reading on the topic.
SteveP
Hello, I am newish in group theory so sorry if anything in the following is not entirely correct.
In general, one can anticipate if a matrix element <i|O|j> is zero or not by seeing if O|j> shares any irreducible representation with |i>.

I know how to reduce to IRs the former product but I cannot see how it would be done for, lets, say, two particle states. This is, how can one anticipate the result of <i,j| K |m,l> (the integral K_{ijml}) provided that K is a two-particle operator (for example the coulomb potential 1/|r1-r2|)?

Can anyone tell me any reference on group theory where this is treated?

Thanks in advance,

Steven

Physics news on Phys.org
:welcome:
## \\ ## I had 3 books handy that might have the result you are looking for: ## \\ ##
1) Peskin and Schroeder treat a few things on Lie groups, (Group theory), that you can find in the index,
but not the result you are looking for. ## \\ ##
2) Fetter and Walecka has nothing in the index that is a match. ## \\ ##
3) Michael Tinkham's Group Theory and Quantum Mechanics has a section on Selection Rules for Vibrational Transitions,
(pp. 248-250), that may be a very good fit. Tinkham's entire book, in general, is not very difficult reading, and the topics can often be understood if you make up arrows, etc. to represent the function of interest and see how the arrow transforms under the various group operations which are usually rotations or reflections.

Last edited:
Likes jedishrfu
You could try "Morton Hamermesh, Group theory and its application to physical problems, Dover Pubs" or "Eugene Wigner, Group Theory".
While 1/ r_ij will have little symmetries, ## \sum_{ij} 1/r_{ij}## will be totally symmetric, so you will have to look whether your two wavefunctions transform as the same irrep.

Likes Charles Link

1. What is Group Theory and how does it relate to selection rules in many-body systems?

Group Theory is a mathematical framework used to study the symmetries and properties of objects and systems. In the context of many-body systems, it is used to determine the allowed transitions between different energy levels based on the symmetry of the system. This is known as the selection rule.

2. How are selection rules determined using Group Theory?

Selection rules are determined by analyzing the symmetry of the system using mathematical operations such as rotations, reflections, and translations. These operations are represented by mathematical objects called symmetry operations, and the set of all possible symmetry operations for a given system is known as its symmetry group. By applying Group Theory principles, we can determine which transitions are allowed and which are forbidden based on the symmetry of the system.

3. What are some common selection rules used in Group Theory for many-body systems?

Some common selection rules include the Laporte rule, which states that transitions between states with the same parity are forbidden, and the Hund's rule, which states that transitions between states with different spin multiplicity are forbidden. Other selection rules may vary depending on the specific symmetry of the system being studied.

4. How do selection rules impact the properties and behavior of many-body systems?

Selection rules play a crucial role in determining the allowed transitions between energy levels in many-body systems. This, in turn, affects the optical, magnetic, and electronic properties of the system. By understanding and applying selection rules, we can gain a deeper understanding of the behavior and properties of these complex systems.

5. Are there any exceptions to selection rules in many-body systems?

While selection rules are generally reliable in predicting the allowed transitions in many-body systems, there are some exceptions. For example, in certain cases, the symmetry of the system may be broken, allowing for transitions that would otherwise be forbidden. Additionally, external factors such as temperature and pressure can also affect the validity of selection rules. Therefore, it is important to consider these exceptions when using Group Theory to determine selection rules in many-body systems.