Self Adjoint and Unitary Transformations

In summary, the conversation discussed the definitions of self adjoint and unitary linear transformations in a unitary space. It also presented a question and provided a solution using two facts: that a positive selfadjoint transformation has a unique positive selfadjoint square root, and that a unitary transformation multiplied by its adjoint equals the identity transformation. The conversation concluded with a thank you message from the author.
Sudharaka
Gold Member
MHB
Hi everyone, :)

Here is a question I encountered recently.

Question:

Let \(V\) be a unitary space. Give the definitions of a self adjoint and unitary linear transformations of \(V\). Prove that \(f_1 g_1=f_2 g_2\), where \(f_1,\,f_2\) are self adjoint positive and \(g_1,\,g_2\) unitary implies \(f_1=f_2,\, g_1=g_2\) as soon as all transformations are non singular.

My Answer:

I know the definitions of the self adjoint and unitary linear transformations. As we have been taught in class they are as follows.

Let \(f:V\rightarrow V\) be a linear transformation and \((.\,,\,.)\) denote the associated Bilinear Form. Then \(f\) is called self adjoint if, \((f(x),\,y)=(x,\,f(y))\) for all \(x,\,y\in V\). Similarly \(f\) is called unitary if \((f(x),\,f(y))=(x,\,y)\) for all \(x,\,y \in V\).

Now the problem I have is how to tackle the second part of the question. If anybody could give me a hint on how to proceed that would be really nice. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Sudharaka said:
Let \(V\) be a unitary space. Give the definitions of a self adjoint and unitary linear transformations of \(V\). Prove that \(f_1 g_1=f_2 g_2\), where \(f_1,\,f_2\) are self adjoint positive and \(g_1,\,g_2\) unitary implies \(f_1=f_2,\, g_1=g_2\) as soon as all transformations are non singular.
I think you need to use two facts here:
(1) A positive selfadjoint transformation has a unique positive selfadjoint square root.
(2) If $g$ is unitary then $gg^*$ is the identity transformation. (The star denotes the adjoint.)​
Let $h = f_1 g_1=f_2 g_2$. Then $hh^* = f_1 g_1g_1^*f_1^* = f_1f_1^* = f_1^2$, and similarly $hh^* = f_2^2$. But $hh^*$ is selfadjoint and positive, so by (1) its square roots $f_1$ and $f_2$ must be equal. You can then use the fact that $f_1$ is nonsingular, and therefore has an inverse, to deduce that $g_1=g_2$.

[This result is a generalisation of the fact that a complex number has a unique expression in the form $z = re^{i\theta}$, where $r$ is real (or "selfadjoint") and positive, and $e^{i\theta}$ is on the unit sircle (and thus "unitary").]

Last edited:
Opalg said:
I think you need to use two facts here:
(1) A positive selfadjoint transformation has a unique positive selfadjoint square root.
(2) If $g$ is unitary then $gg^*$ is the identity transformation. (The star denotes the adjoint.)​
Let $h = f_1 g_1=f_2 g_2$. Then $hh^* = f_1 g_1g_1^*f_1^* = f_1f_1^* = f_1^2$, and similarly $hh^* = f_2^2$. But $hh^*$ is selfadjoint and positive, so by (1) its square roots $f_1$ and $f_2$ must be equal. You can then use the fact that $f_1$ is nonsingular, and therefore has an inverse, to deduce that $g_1=g_2$.

[This result is a generalisation of the fact that a complex number has a unique expression in the form $z = re^{i\theta}$, where $r$ is real (or "selfadjoint") and positive, and $e^{i\theta}$ is on the unit sircle (and thus "unitary").]

Hi Opalg, :)

Thank you so much. I understand everything perfectly now. Thanks again. :)

Related to Self Adjoint and Unitary Transformations

1. What is a self-adjoint transformation?

A self-adjoint transformation is a type of linear transformation that has the property of being equal to its own adjoint (also known as its conjugate transpose). In other words, when the transformation is applied to a vector, the resulting vector is perpendicular to the original vector. This type of transformation is commonly used in quantum mechanics and other areas of mathematics.

2. How is a self-adjoint transformation different from a normal transformation?

A normal transformation is a linear transformation that commutes with its adjoint. This means that the order in which the transformation and its adjoint are applied does not affect the result. In contrast, a self-adjoint transformation is equal to its own adjoint, meaning the order of application does not matter because the resulting vectors will always be perpendicular to the original vectors.

3. What is the significance of self-adjoint transformations in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, self-adjoint transformations represent operators that correspond to physical observables, such as position, momentum, and energy. This means that the eigenvalues (possible outcomes) of these operators are real, and the corresponding eigenvectors form an orthonormal basis for the vector space. This allows for the measurement of physical quantities in a consistent and meaningful way.

4. What is a unitary transformation?

A unitary transformation is a type of linear transformation that preserves the inner product of two vectors. In other words, the transformation maintains the length and angle between two vectors. This transformation is important in quantum mechanics because it represents a reversible process, and the corresponding operators are used to describe time evolution and conservation of probability.

5. How are self-adjoint and unitary transformations related?

Self-adjoint and unitary transformations are related in that a unitary transformation applied to a self-adjoint operator will result in another self-adjoint operator. This is significant because self-adjoint operators correspond to physical observables, and the application of a unitary transformation allows for the representation of different coordinate systems or states while maintaining the same physical properties. In other words, the measurement of physical quantities can be described in different reference frames without changing the results.