Self inductance of a coaxial system of cylinders

In summary: I2πb - μoI/2πa= μoI(b - a)/2πL/unit length = μo(b - a)/2π which is same thing as your formula above.In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of self inductance per unit length and the magnitude of pressure exerted on two concentric hollow cylinders with an electric current flowing through them. The magnetic field is found to be zero inside and outside the cylinders and only exists within the region between the two cylinders. The magnetic flux is calculated by integrating the magnetic field over a rectangular strip, rather than a
cheapstrike

Homework Statement

A thin hollow cylinder of radius a is surrounded co-axially by another hollow cylinder of radius b, where b>a. An electric current I flows through them (I is into the plane of paper (x) in outer cylinder and coming out of plane of paper (.) in inner cylinder). Find the:

a) Self inductance per unit length.

b) Magnitude of the pressure exerted on each cylinder and state whether the force on each cylinder is tending to burst apart or to collapse the cylinder.

Homework Equations

∫B.ds=μoIinside

Φ=B.A

L=Φ/I

F=(j.ds)*lxB

The Attempt at a Solution

The magnetic field inside the inner cylinder and outside and outer cylinder will be zero. Magnetic field will exist only in a<r<b region. So magnetic field at a distance r will be B=μoI/2πr.
We then take a rectangular strip of length l and width dr. Flux through it will be:

dΦ=B.l.dr

Integrating this from a to b, we get total flux through that region.

Self inductance/unit length will be Φ/(i*l) which can be easily calculated.

In the first part, I don't understand why we are calculating flux through a rectangular strip and then integrating it. Why aren't we taking total flux through a circle of radius r and thickness dr?

In the second part, all I can think is to calculate force on each of the two cylinders. For calculating force, we need net B on the cylinder. Can anyone tell me how to do it?

Kindly help.

Edit: I got the second part. It was similar to calculate electrostatic pressure at a point. Please tell why we have assumed a rectangular strip in first part. Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
cheapstrike said:
In the first part, I don't understand why we are calculating flux through a rectangular strip and then integrating it. Why aren't we taking total flux through a circle of radius r and thickness dr?
Is your circle of radius r and thickness dr concentric with the cylinders? If so, what is the magnetic flux through it?

kuruman said:
Is your circle of radius r and thickness dr concentric with the cylinders? If so, what is the magnetic flux through it?
I assumed a concentric circle and then calculated dΦ=B.A=(μoI/2πr)*2πrdr.
And then integrated from a to b to get μoI(b-a)
This seems wrong.. but idk why?

The magnetic flux is not just dΦ = B dA. It is ##d\Phi = \vec{B} \cdot \hat{n} ~dA## where ##\hat{n}## is the normal to the area element ##dA##. What is the normal for your choice of dA? What is the direction of the magnetic field? What does that make the dot product?

Okay.. so the magnetic field is downwards(if we take the left portion of figure) and area vector is outside the plane of paper? giving me net dot product to be 0?

Yes. There is no magnetic flux through the area element that you propose. What about the rectangular strip?

kuruman said:
Yes. There is no magnetic flux through the area element that you propose. What about the rectangular strip?
In rectangular strip, how will we take area vector? I assume it will be in the direction of magnetic field. But how do we see that?

Is there a rule to determine the direction of area vector? If so, then please tell. I always get confused in such cases.

cheapstrike said:
Is there a rule to determine the direction of area vector?
This is a good question. Say you have a closed loop in the plane of the screen. You can orient the loop in one of two ways.
1. Pick the sense of line integration first, "counterclockwise" or "clockwise". Then the normal to the surface follows from the right hand rule, out of the screen if you picked counterclockwise or into the screen if you picked clockwise.
2. Pick the direction of the normal first, "out of" or "into" the screen. Then the sense of integration follows from the right hand rule, counterclockwise if you picked out of or clockwise if you picked into.

Note that this rule has nothing to do with the direction of the B-field. The rule relates circulation (sense of line integration) with direction (normal to the area element.)

Likes cheapstrike
kuruman said:
This is a good question. Say you have a closed loop in the plane of the screen. You can orient the loop in one of two ways.
1. Pick the sense of line integration first, "counterclockwise" or "clockwise". Then the normal to the surface follows from the right hand rule, out of the screen if you picked counterclockwise or into the screen if you picked clockwise.
2. Pick the direction of the normal first, "out of" or "into" the screen. Then the sense of integration follows from the right hand rule, counterclockwise if you picked out of or clockwise if you picked into.

Note that this rule has nothing to do with the direction of the B-field. The rule relates circulation (sense of line integration) with direction (normal to the area element.)
Thanks. But I still can't figure how to apply this for the rectangular strip sorry.

cheapstrike said:
Thanks. But I still can't figure how to apply this for the rectangular strip sorry.
1. Draw the strip of length L and width dr.
2. Orient it.
3. Find the magnetic flux dΦ through the strip. Note that if dr is small enough, the B-field can be assumed to be constant over the strip's surface.
4. Add all such contributions dΦ continuously from the inner radius to the outer to find the total flux.

Likes cheapstrike
You can also look at this from an energy viewpoint:
1/2 Li2 = mag. field energy

Likes cheapstrike

1. What is self inductance in a coaxial system of cylinders?

In a coaxial system of cylinders, self inductance refers to the ability of the system to oppose changes in the current flowing through it. This is due to the magnetic field generated by the current, which induces an opposing voltage in the system.

2. How is self inductance calculated in a coaxial system of cylinders?

The self inductance of a coaxial system of cylinders can be calculated using the formula L = μΙ/2π, where L is the self inductance, μ is the permeability of the medium between the cylinders, and I is the current flowing through the system.

3. What factors affect the self inductance of a coaxial system of cylinders?

The self inductance of a coaxial system of cylinders is affected by the number of turns of the coil, the size of the cylinders, the distance between the cylinders, and the permeability of the medium between the cylinders. The self inductance also increases with increasing current.

4. How does self inductance affect the performance of a coaxial system of cylinders?

Self inductance can affect the performance of a coaxial system of cylinders in several ways. It can cause delays in the current flow, reduce the efficiency of the system, and limit the frequency response. It can also cause interference and distortion in the signal.

5. How can the self inductance of a coaxial system of cylinders be reduced?

The self inductance of a coaxial system of cylinders can be reduced by using materials with lower permeability, increasing the distance between the cylinders, and reducing the number of turns in the coil. Shielding the system with a conductive material can also help reduce self inductance.