Self-learning special relativity

In summary, you need more maths for general relativity, but high school maths should be enough to understand special relativity.
nitro92
Hey guys, I am currently trying to learn special relativity independently. I just read thru the 1st chapter of Spacetime physics and is trying out some questions. Just a few questions though:

1. How long did it took you guys to grasp special relativity?
2. Is A level math(high school level) sufficient to have a clear understanding of SR?
3. Any online resources good for people of my math proficiency level?

P.S : I am currently busy as a conscript of my nation's army. Therefore, I don't have all the time in the world to learn this. So I am trying to utilize my free time optimally by studying something interesting and perhaps useful( I am going to study Chemical Engineering in less than 2 years time!)

Physics news on Phys.org
A handy program that's free that can immensely help is scilab, Its similar to MATLAB in function takes a bit to learn how to use it but its great for running mathematical models and number sets, Also has handy graph capabilities.
The handy part of that is rather than having to calculate yourself what happens in relativity formulas you can tell it what equation to run then provide it a range of numbers to calculate per variable and graph them.
Far easier than trying to do so by hand.

The mathematics of special relativity isn't that difficult. A-level* is more than enough. The difficult part is to throw away some of your intuitive notions of how space and time appear to work.

You do need more maths for general relativity (i.e. relativity with gravity) or for accelerating frames in special relativity, but don't try to run before you can walk!

______
*That means 16-18 year-olds in the UK.

nitro92 said:
1. How long did it took you guys to grasp special relativity?
7 years, but only occasional attempts at that time and not using a dedicated book.

nitro92 said:
2. Is A level math(high school level) sufficient to have a clear understanding of SR?
Yes. Algebra is sufficient, but linear algebra would be a very strong plus.

nitro92 said:
3. Any online resources good for people of my math proficiency level?
Definitely start with Hyperphysics, IMO. Then I would recommend Leonard Susskind's lectures. After that Wikipedia is not a bad resource, but you need to have a little bit of a background so you can filter mistakes that occasionally crop up.

Wow. Thanks for the quick replies. You guys are great!

Related to Self-learning special relativity

1. What is self-learning special relativity?

Self-learning special relativity is a branch of physics that studies the relationship between space and time, specifically in the context of objects moving at high speeds. It is based on the theory of special relativity proposed by Albert Einstein in 1905.

2. How does self-learning special relativity differ from traditional special relativity?

Traditional special relativity relies on mathematical equations and theoretical concepts to explain the effects of high-speed motion on space and time. Self-learning special relativity, on the other hand, utilizes machine learning algorithms to analyze and understand complex data sets related to the behavior of objects in motion.

3. What are some real-world applications of self-learning special relativity?

Self-learning special relativity has a wide range of applications, including studying the behavior of particles in particle accelerators, predicting the effects of high-speed motion on GPS systems, and analyzing data from astronomical observations. It can also be used in fields such as robotics and aerospace engineering.

4. Can self-learning special relativity be applied to other branches of physics?

Yes, self-learning special relativity has the potential to be applied to other branches of physics, such as general relativity and quantum mechanics. By using machine learning techniques, scientists can gain a deeper understanding of these complex theories and potentially make new discoveries.

5. What are the challenges of using self-learning techniques in special relativity?

One of the main challenges of using self-learning techniques in special relativity is the need for large and accurate data sets. These data sets can be difficult and expensive to obtain in certain situations, such as in high-speed particle collisions. Additionally, the interpretation of results from machine learning algorithms can be more complex and require specialized expertise.