Self-watering plant pots vs pots that drain

• Thread starter Stephen Tashi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plant
In summary: Yes, the roots can grow into the outer pot and it can cause them to rot. I would only use self-watering pots for plants that require a lot of moisture or for plants that will be harvested.Frequent water changes are still needed for self-watering planters. Stagnant water becomes deoxygenated and serves as a breeding ground for pests and fungus. I have some plants that I grow purely in water, I will either top off the container or blow air into it to stir things up when it isn't due for a change.
Stephen Tashi
Science Advisor
Common directions for putting plants into pots says the pots must have drain holes so that the roots of the plants don't "drown". How is this problem avoided in the "self watering" type of pot where there is a reservoir of water at the bottom of the pot and and a cylinder filled with soil that wicks moisture up from the reservoir? Do the roots of the plant never grow into the cylinder? - Or are the plants re-planted elsewhere before this can happen?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, @Stephen Tashi, google it. I typed "self watering plant care". There are a lot of ideas, advice... And ads, of course:smile:

Likes berkeman
Yes, the roots can grow into the outer pot and it can cause them to rot. I would only use self-watering pots for plants that require a lot of moisture or for plants that will be harvested.

Likes Stephen Tashi
I recently set up self-watering for a basil plant before going away for a long week. I just stuck the pot in a larger plastic basin which I added a bunch of water to. I figured that as long as the water level in the outer basin wasn't too high the roots would not be soaked. Instead the water would wick up "as needed". I think that's the tricky part though -- what is needed by the plant?

Reading about the various self-watering schemes online I got the sense that there's a certain amount of tuning required, depending on the plant and the environment. I felt lucky that the basil plant was alive and well when we got home. Since then I've left it in that plastic basin and every 3-4 days I add some water to it. I wouldn't do this with our cactuses though. I suspect that wouldn't be good for them.

Stephen Tashi said:
How is this problem avoided in the "self watering" type of pot where there is a reservoir of water at the bottom of the pot and and a cylinder filled with soil that wicks moisture up from the reservoir?
Better self-watering pots can be designed if some electronics is employed: a soil moisture sensor, a mini water pump, a microcontroller (like ATmega8A) programmed with Arduino, a 9V battery and a positive voltage regulator (like LM7805) should be able to get the job done.

JT Smith said:
I recently set up self-watering for a basil plant before going away for a long week. I just stuck the pot in a larger plastic basin which I added a bunch of water to. I figured that as long as the water level in the outer basin wasn't too high the roots would not be soaked. Instead the water would wick up "as needed". I think that's the tricky part though -- what is needed by the plant?

Reading about the various self-watering schemes online I got the sense that there's a certain amount of tuning required, depending on the plant and the environment. I felt lucky that the basil plant was alive and well when we got home. Since then I've left it in that plastic basin and every 3-4 days I add some water to it. I wouldn't do this with our cactuses though. I suspect that wouldn't be good for them.
Frequent water changes are still needed for self-watering planters. Stagnant water becomes deoxygenated and serves as a breeding ground for pests and fungus. I have some plants that I grow purely in water, I will either top off the container or blow air into it to stir things up when it isn't due for a change.

Have you tried the Picturethis app? It's the best. You can take photos of your plants and get an ID with light/food/water requirements, as well as a diagnosis on any issues that the algorithm picks up in the photo. You can create your own albums as well. It's helpful in creating schedules for watering specific types of plants.

For your basil plant, you can sit it in a tray of water and allow it to slowly soak up just what is needed over a couple of hours. Whatever water is left in the tray isn't needed.

1. What is the difference between self-watering plant pots and pots that drain?

Self-watering plant pots have a built-in reservoir that holds water and releases it slowly to the plant's roots. Pots that drain, on the other hand, have holes at the bottom to allow excess water to drain out.

2. Which type of pot is better for plant growth?

It depends on the type of plant and the environment. Self-watering pots can provide a consistent water supply, which can be beneficial for plants that require constant moisture. However, pots that drain can prevent overwatering and allow for better aeration, which can be beneficial for plants that are prone to root rot.

3. Do self-watering pots require less maintenance?

Yes, self-watering pots can reduce the frequency of watering, as the reservoir can hold enough water for several days. However, they still require occasional refilling and monitoring to prevent overwatering.

4. Can any plant be grown in a self-watering pot?

Not all plants are suitable for self-watering pots. Plants that prefer dry soil or have sensitive roots may not thrive in self-watering pots. It is best to research the specific needs of your plant before choosing a pot.

5. Are self-watering pots more expensive than pots that drain?

In general, self-watering pots tend to be more expensive than regular pots. However, the cost can vary depending on the material, size, and brand of the pot.