Semi-empirical mass formula: most stable isobar for odd A

In summary, The Semi-empirical Mass Formula can be used to determine the neutron to proton ratio for the most stable isobar with a fixed odd atomic mass number. The formula is N/Z = 1 + aCA2/3/(2aA), and when computing the derivative of B(A,Z) with respect to Z, the factor of 1/2 should be included. It is important to note that N and Z cannot be treated as constants when taking the derivative.
Bobjovi

Homework Statement

Using the Semi-empirical Mass Formula show that for fixed odd atomic mass
number, A, the most stable isobar has a neutron to proton ratio given by
N/Z = 1 + aCA2/3/(2aA)

Homework Equations

B(A,Z) = aV A − aS A2/3 − aCZ2A-1/3 − aA(Z − N)2/A + pairing term

The Attempt at a Solution

I computed dB/dZ = 0 because the most stable means the one with the maximum binding energy. I get the formula but missing the factor of a half. The fact A is odd means that we don't have a pairing term.

My question is where does the half come from? What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
We would need to see your computation of dB/dZ to find your mistake. One thing to keep in mind, you cannot treat N as constant while taking the derivative with respect to Z.

Last edited:
I think your asymmetric Energy term is an error in the above mentioned B.E formula ..
replace (Z-N) By (N-Z)

What is the semi-empirical mass formula?

The semi-empirical mass formula is a mathematical equation that is used to predict the binding energy and therefore the stability of an atomic nucleus. It takes into account factors such as the number of protons and neutrons in the nucleus, the mass of each particle, and the strength of the nuclear force.

How is the most stable isobar for odd A determined using the semi-empirical mass formula?

The most stable isobar for odd A can be determined by plugging in different values for the number of protons and neutrons in the semi-empirical mass formula and calculating the resulting binding energies. The isobar with the highest binding energy will be the most stable.

What does "odd A" refer to in the context of the semi-empirical mass formula?

"Odd A" refers to an atomic nucleus with an odd number of nucleons (protons and neutrons). This is important because the semi-empirical mass formula takes into account the difference in binding energy between even and odd numbers of nucleons, which can affect the stability of the nucleus.

Are there any limitations to the semi-empirical mass formula?

Yes, there are limitations to the semi-empirical mass formula. It is a simplified model and does not take into account all of the complexities of nuclear structure and interactions. It also does not account for the effects of nuclear spin and other factors that can affect the stability of a nucleus.

How is the semi-empirical mass formula used in practical applications?

The semi-empirical mass formula is used in various fields of nuclear physics, including nuclear energy production, nuclear medicine, and nuclear weapons development. It is also used in astrophysics to understand the formation and evolution of stars and galaxies.