Semiconductors - Drift/Mobility & Temperature

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem related to the density of electrons and holes in a material and its relationship to temperature. The problem also addresses the use of equations for different materials and the difference between semiconductors and metals. The conversation concludes with a discussion on finding the correct equation and values to solve the problem.
Marcin H

Homework Statement

Screen Shot 2018-02-13 at 8.31.37 PM.png

Homework Equations

Screen Shot 2018-02-13 at 8.32.13 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-02-13 at 8.31.50 PM.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I am having problems with all parts of this problem, but I'll start with part A. Comparing the 2 equations I see that Ca could be 3/2 based off the hint, but I am not sure why or how it would be 3/2 or -3/2. The problem does not specify if this is for lattice scattering or impurity scattering. Either way I am not sure how to compare the 2 equations above. And as for Cb it seems like it can only be 1. I don't see how cb can be an equation unless we have to solve the equation above for Cb assuming Ca is ±3/2.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-02-13 at 8.31.37 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-02-13 at 8.31.37 PM.png
    48.9 KB · Views: 2,264
  • Screen Shot 2018-02-13 at 8.32.13 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-02-13 at 8.32.13 PM.png
    6.2 KB · Views: 896
  • Screen Shot 2018-02-13 at 8.31.50 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-02-13 at 8.31.50 PM.png
    5.9 KB · Views: 874
Physics news on Phys.org
Marcin H said:
The problem does not specify if this is for lattice scattering or impurity scattering.
(A) is about the density of electrons and holes, it has nothing to do with scattering.

Does n(T) increase with increasing T according to 3-26?
Which sign does ca need to reproduce this?
How much does n(T) increase if T doubles (for example)? Can you derive which ca reproduces this?
Marcin H said:
And as for Cb it seems like it can only be 1.
Right.
Marcin H said:
I don't see how cb can be an equation unless we have to solve the equation above for Cb assuming Ca is ±3/2.
A parameter cannot be an equation. That's like asking how a color can be a fruit.
You can compare the equations at different temperatures to set up multiple equations that all have to be true and solve for the two unknown parameters that way, but doing it by inspection is quicker.

Oh, right. I was confusing concentration with mobility.

Yes, n(T) increases with increasing T, so Ca would have to be +(3/2)

As for Cb is the hint just to trick us? Why do they say it's an equation if Cb just equal to 1?And for parts B and C, I don't know if I am overthinking it, but if we are using the same equation for the electron mobility of intrinsic silicon as we did for copper, then why would the relationship between mobility and temperature change between the 2 materials? Why even ask part c? Does lattice scattering vs impurity scattering have anything to do with this?

Oh, I didn't see the "is an equation" hint. Actually, it is not an equation, but it is not 1 either, I misread the problem statement before.

Plug in T=300 K in the first equation: Now the carrier density at 300 K appears both on the left and right side, so you can cancel them. The fraction is 1 by construction, so which value does the exponent at the right side need?
Marcin H said:
Yes, n(T) increases with increasing T, so Ca would have to be +(3/2)
Right.
Marcin H said:
And for parts B and C, I don't know if I am overthinking it, but if we are using the same equation for the electron mobility of intrinsic silicon as we did for copper, then why would the relationship between mobility and temperature change between the 2 materials?
You can't use the semiconductor equations for copper, it is not a semiconductor.

The difference between semiconductor and metal becomes relevant in (c).

mfb said:
Oh, I didn't see the "is an equation" hint. Actually, it is not an equation, but it is not 1 either, I misread the problem statement before.

Plug in T=300 K in the first equation: Now the carrier density at 300 K appears both on the left and right side, so you can cancel them. The fraction is 1 by construction, so which value does the exponent at the right side need?Right.You can't use the semiconductor equations for copper, it is not a semiconductor.

The difference between semiconductor and metal becomes relevant in (c).
Plugging in 300K into that equation gives me 1 = e^(-(Eg/2kT)Cb). So solving for Cb would give me 0 taking the natural log of both sides. Not sure if this is correct or what it tells us if it is 0.EDIT*

Also, for part b and c what are we supposed to use to find the mobility then? What are they trying to get at by saying that the mobility follows that of the equation used for copper.

c_b is not meant as a factor here, it is written in a misleading way. Just see what you have to modify to make the equation right.

The mobility and concentration are completely different things, you need both to calculate the resistance.

I'm lost here. What is the right equation? Am I supposed to plug in T=300k into equation 3-26 and compare those?

What values should I use for the effective mass of electrons/holes in equation 3-26? Also, is the h in that equation h(bar)? Or something else?

Marcin H said:
What values should I use for the effective mass of electrons/holes in equation 3-26?
You don't need values for them, they cancel anyway.
Marcin H said:
Also, is the h in that equation h(bar)? Or something else?
It is the Planck constant, not divided by 2pi, but this will cancel as well.

What are semiconductors?

Semiconductors are materials that have properties in between those of conductors (such as metals) and insulators (such as glass). They have a moderate level of electrical conductivity, which can be altered by adding impurities or changing the temperature.

What is the concept of drift and mobility in semiconductors?

Drift and mobility refer to the movement of charge carriers (electrons and holes) within a semiconductor material. Drift is the overall movement of charge carriers in response to an electric field, while mobility is the ability of a charge carrier to move through the material.

How does temperature affect the drift and mobility of semiconductors?

As temperature increases, the mobility of charge carriers in a semiconductor decreases. This is because higher temperatures lead to more collisions between the charge carriers and impurities in the material, hindering their movement and reducing their mobility. This decrease in mobility also affects the overall drift of charge carriers in the material.

What factors can affect the drift and mobility of semiconductors?

Aside from temperature, the impurity concentration and type of impurities, as well as the crystal structure and defects in the semiconductor material, can also affect the drift and mobility of charge carriers. Additionally, external factors such as electric and magnetic fields can also influence the movement of charge carriers.

How do drift and mobility impact the performance of semiconductor devices?

The drift and mobility of charge carriers are important factors in the operation of semiconductor devices, such as transistors and diodes. Higher mobility allows for faster switching and better performance, while drift can cause unwanted leakage currents and decrease the efficiency of the device. Therefore, understanding and controlling drift and mobility is crucial in the design and development of efficient semiconductor devices.