How Do You Calculate the Semi-Minor Axis for a Spacecraft's Orbit?

In summary, the conversation is about sending a spacecraft to Mars and the person is asking for help with their calculations. They have calculated the semi-minor axis to be 265km and the focal length to be 115km by using the equation b2=(a2-f2). They also mention a file with diagrams and hints.
rsyodoom2005
Sending a spacecraft to mArs! Help! pLease!

okay guys so you have to open this file to read the question accuretely.. i have done some calculations but not sure if they are correct.

So just this as best as i can, fist i figure out my semi-minor axis = a
by 150km +150 KM +230 km =530km (major axis) now to get me semi minor axis i will just divide it by 2 . Giving me 265km!

Focal lenght= 265km - Earth's disntace to the sun (150 km) =115 km

Now to get my semi minor axis i use the equation b2=(a2-f2)
(530Km-300km)=b2
b=150km

Physics news on Phys.org
FILE! shows diagrams! and hints!

Last edited by a moderator:

Hello, it seems like you are trying to calculate the semi-minor axis and focal length for your spacecraft's orbit around Mars. It's great that you are doing some calculations, but it's important to make sure that they are accurate. In order to get the correct values, you need to use the correct units for the distances. For example, instead of using kilometers, you should use meters. Also, make sure that you are using the correct values for the Earth's distance to the Sun and Mars's distance to the Sun. These values can be found from reliable sources such as NASA's website. Additionally, there are specific equations that should be used for calculating orbital parameters, so make sure you are using the correct one for your specific situation. It's always a good idea to double check your calculations and consult with other experts in the field to ensure accuracy. Good luck with your mission to Mars!

1. What is the purpose of sending a spacecraft to Mars?

The purpose of sending a spacecraft to Mars is to gather scientific data and conduct research on the planet's atmosphere, geology, and potential for sustaining life. It also serves as a stepping stone for future human exploration of Mars.

2. How long does it take for a spacecraft to reach Mars?

The duration of a spacecraft's journey to Mars depends on the launch window and the spacecraft's speed. Typically, it takes around 7-9 months for a spacecraft to reach Mars.

3. What technology is used to send a spacecraft to Mars?

Various technologies are used to send a spacecraft to Mars, including rockets for launch, thrusters for course corrections, and solar panels for power. Advanced navigation systems and communication equipment are also essential for the mission's success.

4. How do scientists ensure the safety of the spacecraft during the journey to Mars?

Scientists use rigorous testing and simulations to ensure the spacecraft's safety and reliability. The spacecraft is also equipped with redundant systems and emergency protocols in case of any malfunctions.

5. What are the potential benefits of sending a spacecraft to Mars?

Sending a spacecraft to Mars can lead to groundbreaking discoveries and advancements in our understanding of the universe. It can also inspire and motivate future generations to pursue careers in science and technology. Additionally, the technology and knowledge gained from the mission can have practical applications on Earth.