Sending Info at Relativistic Speeds? | Doppler Effect | Horizons Photo

In summary: The article discusses how the spacecraft "New Horizons" transmitted data back to Earth during its recent flyby of Pluto. The data rate was incredibly slow, because the signal was weak. The article also discusses how relativistic speeds would cause the wavelength of the transmission to get longer, (aka redshifted), as far as the receiver is concerned. This would cause the data rate to be reduced.
MostlyHarmless
I just read this article:

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/pl...aze-revealed-photo-horizons/story?id=33832751

The article itself is really cool, but something at the bottom of it caught my attention.

Traveling at the speed of light, signals take 4.5 hours to travel 3 billion miles to reach Earth, meaning the spacecraft has an enormous undertaking ahead of it. With data downloading at a rate of approximately 1 to 4 kilobits per second, it's expected the entire bounty of science from the encounter will take one year to be transmitted back to Earth.

I don't know how fast New Horizons is traveling, but say, for example it was traveling at relativistic speeds. How would the information be effected, in terms of the Doppler Effect. The information is being transmitted via some form of EM waves, right? So they should be susceptible to such an effect. Suppose they were effected, then would the information actually be effected or just the waves?

Also, I understand the satellite is billions of miles away, but why is the transfer rate so incredibly slow? Why is that it just takes the initial bits of information several hours to arrive, a reasonable transfer rate is achieved? Is this due to the Doppler effect?

I guess its an incredible feat to just be able to send a signal from that far away, it just seems like the receiving part should be the challenge, not transfer rates.

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around sending a picture 3 billion miles across space to a "pale blue dot". And then reconciling my tenuous grasp on how waves behave.

Physics news on Phys.org
Traveling at relativistic speeds away from Earth would cause the wavelength of the transmission to get longer, (aka redshifted), as far as the receiver is concerned.
The signal would still travel to Earth at the same speed since the speed of light is constant, but the encoded data would be stretched out to the same extent as the carrier wave, so the data rate would be reduced.
New Horizons is not traveling anywhere anywhere near fast enough for this effect to be significant though.

The slow data rate is caused by the weakness of the signal. This is caused by the inverse-square law, not the Doppler shift. The spacecraft can probably only transmit a few 10's of watts (I don't know exactly). At 3 billion miles away, this makes the signal extremely weak, so slow data rates are needed in order to be able to integrate long enough to distinguish the signal from noise. If the spacecraft were traveling faster, this would just shift the signal to lower frequencies from that at which it is transmitted. I don't think this would be a big problem until it got going a significant fraction of the speed of light.

1. What is the Doppler Effect and how does it relate to sending information at relativistic speeds?

The Doppler Effect is the change in frequency or wavelength of a wave when the source of the wave is moving relative to the observer. When sending information at relativistic speeds, the Doppler Effect can cause a shift in the frequency of the signal, making it difficult for the receiver to accurately interpret the information.

2. What are the limitations of sending information at relativistic speeds?

One major limitation is the distortion caused by the Doppler Effect. This can make it challenging for the receiver to accurately receive and interpret the information. Additionally, the energy required to send information at relativistic speeds is much higher than at slower speeds.

3. How does the speed of light impact the transmission of information at relativistic speeds?

The speed of light is the maximum speed at which any information can be transmitted. As an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases, making it more difficult to accelerate and maintain that speed. This can also lead to the distortion of the signal due to the Doppler Effect.

4. Can information be sent faster than the speed of light using relativistic speeds?

No, according to Einstein's theory of relativity, the speed of light is the ultimate speed limit in the universe. It is impossible to send any information faster than this speed, even at relativistic speeds.

5. What is the significance of the "horizons photo" in the context of sending information at relativistic speeds?

The "horizons photo" refers to the first-ever image of a black hole captured by the Event Horizon Telescope. This photo is significant because it demonstrates the immense distances that can be reached using relativistic speeds and the challenges that come with transmitting information over such vast distances at high speeds.