Separable Differential Equation Question

In summary, the solution to the given differential equation dy/dx = (y^2 - 1)/ (x^2 - 1) with initial condition y(2) = 2 is y=1 or y=-1, but these values do not satisfy the boundary condition.
inter060708

Homework Statement

dy/dx = (y^2 - 1)/ (x^2 - 1) with initial condition y(2) = 2

Why is y = 1 and/or y= -1 not solutions?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am actually able to solve this differential equation but when I separate the equation according to x and y:

(y^2 - 1)^-1 dy = (x^2 - 1)^-1 dx

here I am dividing both sides of the equation by (y^2 - 1), which means now I have to exclude y = 1 , -1 and check whether they are solutions

Now how do I show that y =1 and y = -1 are not solutions?

Physics news on Phys.org
inter060708 said:

Homework Statement

dy/dx = (y^2 - 1)/ (x^2 - 1) with initial condition y(2) = 2

Why is y = 1 and/or y= -1 not solutions?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am actually able to solve this differential equation but when I separate the equation according to x and y:

(y^2 - 1)^-1 dy = (x^2 - 1)^-1 dx

here I am dividing both sides of the equation by (y^2 - 1), which means now I have to exclude y = 1 , -1 and check whether they are solutions

Now how do I show that y =1 and y = -1 are not solutions?

y=1 or y=(-1) don't satisfy y(2)=2, do they? They are solutions to the differential equation but they don't satisfy your boundary condition.

Related to Separable Differential Equation Question

1. What is a separable differential equation?

A separable differential equation is an equation that can be written in the form dy/dx = f(x)g(y), where f(x) and g(y) are functions of x and y, respectively. This means that the variables can be separated and solved for individually.

2. How do you solve a separable differential equation?

To solve a separable differential equation, you need to rearrange the equation to have all the variables on one side and the derivatives on the other side. Then, you can integrate both sides and solve for the constant of integration. Finally, you can solve for the original variables by substituting the constant of integration and simplifying the equation.

3. What is the purpose of using separable differential equations?

Separable differential equations are useful in modeling real-world phenomena and predicting future behavior. They are commonly used in physics, chemistry, economics, and other fields to describe relationships between variables and their rates of change.

4. Can you give an example of a separable differential equation?

A classic example of a separable differential equation is the population growth equation, which is given by dP/dt = kP, where P is the population and k is a constant representing the growth rate. This equation can be separated to solve for the population as a function of time.

5. What are some common techniques for solving separable differential equations?

Some common techniques for solving separable differential equations include separation of variables, integration, and substitution. Other methods, such as using the integrating factor or solving as a linear first-order differential equation, can also be applied in certain cases.