Problem getting the coefficients of a non-homogeneous PDE using the Fourier method

In summary: However, when we apply the boundary conditions, the n=1 term will be canceled out since \cos \pi x is an eigenfunction with eigenvalue 0 for n=1. Therefore, the expansion series starts at n=2. In summary, we are solving the PDE $u_t=ku_{xx}+h$ with initial condition $u(x,0)=u_0(1-\cos{\pi x})$ and boundary conditions $u(0,t)=0$ and $u(1,t)=2u_0$. We can split the solution into two parts, $u(x,t)=v(x,t)+U(x)$, and solve for each part separately. The solution for $U(x)$ is
Phys pilot
Hello, I have to solve this problem:

$$u_t=ku_{xx}+h \; \;\; \; \; 0<x<1 \; \; \,\; t>0$$
$$u(x,0)=u_0(1-\cos{\pi x}) \; \;\; \; \; 0\leq x \leq 1$$
$$u(0,t)=0 \; \;\; \; \; u(1,t)=2u_0 \; \;\; \; \; t\geq0$$

So I know that I can split the solution in two (I don't know the reason. I would appreciate a short explanation because we introduce a new function depending just on x and because the sum of the both solutions are also a solution):
$$u(x,t)=v(x,t)+U(x)$$

This give us two different problems.
$$kU''(x)+h=0$$
and
$$v_t=kv_{xx}$$
$$\text{I.C}\begin{cases} v(x,0)=u_0(1-\cos{\pi x})-U(x)\end{cases}$$
$$\text{B.C}\begin{cases} v(0,t)=0 \\ v(1,t)=0 \end{cases}$$

First I can sol the U(x) which is giving me:
$$kU''(x)+h=0$$
$$U(x)=-\frac{hx^2}{2k}+\left(2u_0+\frac{h}{2k} \right)x$$

Now I solve the PDE with the new boundary conditions using the separation of variables and I get:
$$X_n(x)=B_n\sin{n\pi x}$$
$$T_n(t)=C_ne^{-kn^2\pi^2 t}$$
$$v(x,t)=\sum_{n=1}^\infty{=a_ne^{-kn^2\pi^2 t}\sin{n\pi x}}$$

If I apply the initial condition:

$$v(x,0)=\sum_{n=1}^\infty{=a_n\sin{n\pi x}}=u_0(1-cos(\pi x))-U(x)$$

So finally the coefficients should be given by the expression:

$$a_n=2\int_0^1 (u_0(1-cos(\pi x))-U(x))\sin(n \pi x)dx$$

But I'm not gettin the supposed solution which is:
$$a_n=\frac{2u_0}{n\pi}[1+(-1)^n]+\frac{2u_0n}{(n^2-1)\pi}[1-(-1)^n]+\frac{2h}{k\pi^3 n^3}[(-1)^n-1]$$

Actually the supposed solution to the problem is:

$$u(x,t)=-\frac{hx^2}{2k}+\left(2u_0+\frac{h}{2k}\right)x-\frac{4h}{k\pi}e^{-k\pi^2 t}\sin{\pi x}+ \sum_{n=2}^\infty{a_n e^{-kn^2\pi^2 t}\sin{n\pi x}} $$
As you can see the expansion series starts at 2 instead of one so how am I supposed to get the term for n=1 because you can not get it from a_n

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Recall that [itex]\cos \pi x[/itex] and [itex]\sin \pi x[/itex] are orthogonal, so there is no [itex]n=1[/itex] term in the expansion of [itex]\cos \pi x[/itex], although there may be from [itex]u_0 - U(x)[/itex].

1. What is the Fourier method and how does it relate to solving non-homogeneous PDEs?

The Fourier method is a mathematical technique used to solve partial differential equations (PDEs). It involves representing the solution to a PDE as a series of trigonometric functions, known as Fourier series. This method is particularly useful for solving non-homogeneous PDEs, which have terms that are not equal to zero.

2. Can the Fourier method be used to solve any non-homogeneous PDE?

No, the Fourier method is most effective for solving linear, constant coefficient PDEs. It may not be suitable for solving non-linear or variable coefficient PDEs.

3. How do you determine the coefficients in the Fourier series when using the Fourier method?

The coefficients in the Fourier series are determined by using the orthogonality properties of trigonometric functions. This involves computing inner products and solving a system of equations to find the values of the coefficients.

4. What are some common challenges when using the Fourier method to solve non-homogeneous PDEs?

One common challenge is determining the appropriate boundary conditions for the problem. The Fourier method also requires a certain level of mathematical proficiency and may be more time-consuming compared to other methods.

5. Are there any alternative methods for solving non-homogeneous PDEs?

Yes, there are other methods such as the Laplace transform method, separation of variables, and Green's function method. Each method has its own advantages and limitations, and the most suitable method depends on the specific PDE being solved.