Sequence induced by short exact sequence

In summary: It is possible that the author is assuming that the reader will understand that, given the previous exact sequence, then it is enough to show that the two ends of the sequence are exact, since then the middle part is implied. But then this is still a proof left to the reader. So i guess i am a bit confused about what the problem is. But for sure, once the maps are defined, the proof is mechanical, as the other respondent indicated.In summary, the conversation discusses a proof left to the reader as they self-study Munkre's 'Elements of Algebraic Topology'. The proof involves showing that an induced sequence is exact, with additional information provided on maps and groups. The concept of an
PsychonautQQ
This isn't homework, it's a proof left to the reader as I self study Munkre's 'Elements of Algebraic Topology'

Prove that if the sequence
##A_1 --> A_2 --> A_3 --> A_4 --> A_5## is exact

Then so is the induced sequence:

##0 --> cok(a_1) --> A_3 --> ker(a_4) --> 0##

where ##a_1## and ##a_4## are the maps from ##A_1 --> A_2## and ##A_4 --> A_5## respectively.
Also, let ##b_i## represent the map from the i'th group in the induced sequence to the (i+1)'th

First of all, what exactly is an induced sequence? Secondly, I started trying to figure out the proof and failed. Here are Some of my thoughts:

If ##x,y \in cok(a_1)## and ##b_2(x)=b_2(y)##, wwts ##x=y##, because that will mean that ##b_2## is injective, which it must be if it's going to be exact because ##im(b_1) = 0 = ker(b_2)##.

Since ##x,y \in cok(a_1)##, there are no elements of ##A_1## that map to them in ##A_2##.

And ahhh yeah actually I'm just confused... anyone got any tips for this proof?
This means there are no elements of ##A_1## that map to ##x,y## in ##A_2##

Physics news on Phys.org
PsychonautQQ said:
This isn't homework, it's a proof left to the reader as I self study Munkre's 'Elements of Algebraic Topology'

Prove that if the sequence
##A_1 --> A_2 --> A_3 --> A_4 --> A_5## is exact

Then so is the induced sequence:

##0 --> cok(a_1) --> A_3 --> ker(a_4) --> 0##

where ##a_1## and ##a_4## are the maps from ##A_1 --> A_2## and ##A_4 --> A_5## respectively.
Also, let ##b_i## represent the map from the i'th group in the induced sequence to the (i+1)'th

First of all, what exactly is an induced sequence?
Exactness of the first sequence means especially ##\operatorname{im} a_1 \subseteq \operatorname{ker}a_2## and ##\operatorname{im}a_3\subseteq \operatorname{ker}a_4##. Therefore we get induced mappings
$$
\overline{a}_2\, : \, A_2/\operatorname{im}a_1 \longrightarrow A_3 \quad \text{ and } \quad \overline{a}_3 \, : \, A_3 \longrightarrow \operatorname{ker} a_4 \subseteq A_4
$$
As the image of ##a_1## is mapped to the kernel of ##a_2##, ##\overline{a}_2## is well-defined, as two representatives are mapped on the same element. This is meant by induced. The second mapping ##\overline{a}_3## is simply the restriction on a smaller codomain. Since ##a_3## hits only elements in the kernel of ##a_4## anyway, there is nothing else needed to be shown, we already have a mapping on ##\operatorname{ker}a_4##.
Secondly, I started trying to figure out the proof and failed. Here are Some of my thoughts:

If ##x,y \in cok(a_1)## and ##b_2(x)=b_2(y)##, wwts ##x=y##, because that will mean that ##b_2## is injective, which it must be if it's going to be exact because ##im(b_1) = 0 = ker(b_2)##.

Since ##x,y \in cok(a_1)##, there are no elements of ##A_1## that map to them in ##A_2##.

And ahhh yeah actually I'm just confused... anyone got any tips for this proof?
This means there are no elements of ##A_1## that map to ##x,y## in ##A_2##
You have to show that ##\overline{a}_2## is injective and ##\overline{a}_3## is surjective. That is ##\overline{a}_2(\overline{x}) = \overline{a}_2(\overline{y})## implies ##x \in y \circ \operatorname{im}a_1## whatever your operation ##\circ ## is, probably addition.

And every element in ##\operatorname{ker}a_4## is actually hit by ##\overline{a}_3##, i.e. for every ##y \in A_4## with ##y \in \operatorname{ker}a_4 = \{e\}## - whatever your neutral element ##e## is, probably ##e=0## - there is an ##x \in A_3## with ##a_3(x)=y##.

The second case is probably a bit easier than the first and we will also probably have to use exactness at ##A_3##, which we haven't until now, i.e. ##\operatorname{im}a_2 \subseteq \operatorname{ker}a_3\,##.

I think that, in a literal sense, induced maps arise from the standard isomorphism theorems in Algebra.

Likes BubblesAreUs
i would quibble with the way this problem is phrased. I.e. one has to show both that there IS an induced sequence and also that it is exact. This may be part of your confusion. I.e. a map A2-->A3 always induces a map A2/ker(a2) --> A3, but one needs exactness, or at least that this is a complex, to know that the image of the previous map is contained in the kernel, so that there is an induced map on cok(a1) = A2/im(A1). the same holds at the other end to know that im(a3) is contained in ker(a4). so if so, i fault the author for sloppy language, although this author is seldom accused of that.

1. What is a sequence induced by a short exact sequence?

A sequence induced by a short exact sequence refers to a sequence of objects or elements that are related to each other through a specific pattern or structure, known as a short exact sequence. This sequence is important in the field of mathematics and science, particularly in algebra and topology.

2. How is a sequence induced by a short exact sequence useful in scientific research?

A sequence induced by a short exact sequence is useful in scientific research as it allows for the identification and analysis of patterns and relationships between different elements or objects. This can provide valuable insights and understanding in various fields, such as genetics, chemistry, and physics.

3. Can you provide an example of a sequence induced by a short exact sequence?

One example of a sequence induced by a short exact sequence is the DNA sequence of a gene. The sequence of nucleotides in a gene is determined by the specific pattern and structure of the gene, which can be considered a short exact sequence. This sequence then plays a crucial role in determining the characteristics and functions of an organism.

4. How is a sequence induced by a short exact sequence different from a random sequence?

A sequence induced by a short exact sequence is different from a random sequence as it follows a specific pattern or structure, whereas a random sequence does not have any discernible pattern or relationship between its elements. This makes a sequence induced by a short exact sequence more predictable and useful in scientific research.

5. What are the applications of a sequence induced by a short exact sequence in biology?

A sequence induced by a short exact sequence has numerous applications in biology, such as in the analysis of genetic sequences, protein structures, and molecular interactions. It can also be used in the study of evolutionary relationships between different species and the identification of similarities and differences in their genetic makeup.