Powder sample crystal is analyzed using Debye-Scherrer method....

In summary: A}##.d) To find the angles for the next three diffraction rings, we can use the same formula: ##\sin(\theta) = \frac{\lambda}{2a}##, but with a different value for a. The second diffraction ring will have an angle of ##\sin^{-1} \left( \frac{\lambda}{\sqrt{2}a} \right)##, the third will have an angle of ##\sin^{-1} \left( \
steroidjunkie

Homework Statement

Powder sample of monoatomic cubic lattice crystal is analyzed using Debye-Scherrer method. Primitive vetors of direct lattice are: a1 = (a, 0, 0), a2 = (0, a, 0) i a3 = (0, 0, a). Wavelength of x-ray radiation is 1 Å.
a) Find primitive vectors of reciprocal lattice.
b) Find the first four shortest vectors of reciprocal latitce.
c) First diffraction ring is observed at an angle ##17,9^\circ## with regard to incident radiation angle. Find lattice constant a.
d) Find angles for the next three difraction rings.

Homework Equations

a) ##b_1 = \frac{2 \pi \cdot \vec{a_2} \times \vec{a_3}}{\vec{a_1} \cdot \vec{a_2} \times \vec{a_3}} = \frac{2 \pi}{a} \hat{x}##
##b_2 = \frac{2 \pi \cdot \vec{a_3} \times \vec{a_1}}{\vec{a_1} \cdot \vec{a_2} \times \vec{a_3}} = \frac{2 \pi}{a} \hat{y}##
##b_3 = \frac{2 \pi \cdot \vec{a_1} \times \vec{a_2}}{\vec{a_1} \cdot \vec{a_2} \times \vec{a_3}} = \frac{2 \pi}{a} \hat{z}##

b), c), d) ?

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I have no idea how to proceed. I've found the ##\vec{k} = \frac{2 \pi}{d}## on the internet, where ##d=\lambda##, but I'm not sure if this equation can give me the shortest vector or how I'd find the other three shortest vectors.

Physics news on Phys.org
Also, I'm not sure how to use the given angle to find the lattice constant. Can someone help me out?a) The reciprocal lattice vectors can be found using the formula: ##\vec{b_i} = \frac{2 \pi \vec{a_j} \times \vec{a_k}}{\vec{a_i} \cdot (\vec{a_j} \times \vec{a_k})}## where i,j,k are cyclic permutations of 1,2,3. In this case, we have: ##\vec{b_1} = \frac{2 \pi \vec{a_2} \times \vec{a_3}}{\vec{a_1} \cdot (\vec{a_2} \times \vec{a_3})} = \frac{2 \pi}{a} \hat{x}##, ##\vec{b_2} = \frac{2 \pi \vec{a_3} \times \vec{a_1}}{\vec{a_2} \cdot (\vec{a_3} \times \vec{a_1})} = \frac{2 \pi}{a} \hat{y}##, and ##\vec{b_3} = \frac{2 \pi \vec{a_1} \times \vec{a_2}}{\vec{a_3} \cdot (\vec{a_1} \times \vec{a_2})} = \frac{2 \pi}{a} \hat{z}##.

b) The first four shortest vectors of the reciprocal lattice can be found by considering the lengths of the reciprocal lattice vectors. The shortest vector will have a length of ##\frac{2 \pi}{a}##, and the next shortest vectors will have lengths of ##\sqrt{2} \frac{2 \pi}{a}##, ##\sqrt{3} \frac{2 \pi}{a}##, and ##2 \frac{2 \pi}{a}##, respectively.

c) The first diffraction ring is observed at an angle of ##17.9^\circ## with regard to the incident radiation angle. This angle can be used to find the lattice constant a using the formula: ##\sin(\theta) = \frac{\lambda}{2a}##. Rearranging

1. What is the Debye-Scherrer method?

The Debye-Scherrer method is a technique used to analyze the crystal structure of a powder sample. It involves bombarding the sample with X-rays at different angles and measuring the diffraction patterns to determine the arrangement of atoms in the crystal.

2. How does the Debye-Scherrer method work?

The Debye-Scherrer method works by exposing a powdered sample to a beam of X-rays at various angles. The X-rays interact with the atoms in the sample, causing them to diffract. The diffraction patterns are then recorded and analyzed to determine the crystal structure of the sample.

3. What information can be obtained from a Debye-Scherrer analysis?

A Debye-Scherrer analysis can provide information about the crystal structure, lattice parameters, and orientation of the crystal grains in a powder sample. It can also be used to determine the size and shape of the crystal grains.

4. What are the advantages of using the Debye-Scherrer method?

The Debye-Scherrer method is a non-destructive technique that can be used to analyze a wide range of materials, including powders, thin films, and single crystals. It is also relatively quick and easy to perform, and can provide valuable information about the crystal structure of a sample.

5. Are there any limitations to the Debye-Scherrer method?

One limitation of the Debye-Scherrer method is that it is only suitable for samples with randomly oriented crystals. It also requires a high-quality X-ray source and specialized equipment, which may not be readily available in all laboratories. Additionally, the interpretation of the diffraction patterns can be complex and may require advanced knowledge of crystallography.