Sequence Limits: Difference of radicals

In summary, the limit of the given sequence is divergent as n approaches infinity. This can be shown by taking out a factor of ##\sqrt[4] {n}## and observing that the difference between the two terms tends to ##(\sqrt[4] {2}-1)\sqrt[4] {n}##, which diverges as n approaches infinity.
Benighted

Homework Statement

Find the limit of the following sequence:

Homework Equations

[itex] \lim_{n \rightarrow + \infty} \sqrt[4] {2n + 1} - \sqrt[4] {n + 1} [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried multiplying the first radical by ## \frac{ \sqrt[4] {2n - 1} } { \sqrt[4] {2n - 1} } ## to make the radical into a square root (and do the analogous thing for the second radical), but that seems to lead nowhere as well as give me an extra denominator to work with.

I've tried multiplying the second radical by 16/16 to get a 2 inside the radical, but that leaves me with ## \sqrt[4] {2n - 2} ##, which isn't much better.

I've tried eyeballing the solution as ##n## approaches infinity; both radicals approach infinity, but ## \infty - \infty ## is indeterminate, and I think I'm supposed to solve it without L'Hospital's rule (it was in my precalculus exercise book before derivatives and L'Hospital's).

I've got about 6 more exercises like this one, with increasingly complex polynomials under radicals.

What am I supposed to do to simplify the exercise? Get both terms under the same radical?

P.S. Sorry if I messed up the limit syntax, this is my first time with LaTeX...

Physics news on Phys.org
Benighted said:

Homework Statement

Find the limit of the following sequence:

Homework Equations

[itex] \lim_{n \rightarrow + \infty} \sqrt[4] {2n + 1} - \sqrt[4] {n + 1} [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried multiplying the first radical by ## \frac{ \sqrt[4] {2n - 1} } { \sqrt[4] {2n - 1} } ## to make the radical into a square root (and do the analogous thing for the second radical), but that seems to lead nowhere as well as give me an extra denominator to work with.

I've tried multiplying the second radical by 16/16 to get a 2 inside the radical, but that leaves me with ## \sqrt[4] {2n - 2} ##, which isn't much better.

I've tried eyeballing the solution as ##n## approaches infinity; both radicals approach infinity, but ## \infty - \infty ## is indeterminate, and I think I'm supposed to solve it without L'Hospital's rule (it was in my precalculus exercise book before derivatives and L'Hospital's).

I've got about 6 more exercises like this one, with increasingly complex polynomials under radicals.

What am I supposed to do to simplify the exercise? Get both terms under the same radical?

P.S. Sorry if I messed up the limit syntax, this is my first time with LaTeX...

Can you see what the answer is first? Before you try to prove it.

Nope, I'm afraid not. My best guess is ## \sqrt[4] {n} ## as ##n## approaches infinity, but that's not a valid answer, is it?

Multiplying by [itex]\frac{\sqrt[4]{2n- 1}}{\sqrt[4]{2n- 1}}[/itex] will give a square root in the denominator but leave a fourth root in the denominator so I don't see that as helping.

Use, rather, the fact that [itex]x^4- y^4= (x- y)(x^3+ x^2y+ xy^2+ y^3[/itex] with [itex]x= \sqrt[4]{2n+1}[/itex] and [itex]y= \sqrt[4]{n+ 1}[/itex].

Benighted said:
Nope, I'm afraid not. My best guess is ## \sqrt[4] {n} ## as ##n## approaches infinity, but that's not a valid answer, is it?

You should be able to see the answer by using some estimation. Think about the two terms and try to estimate them in ways that makes things simpler.

(And, why not plug the largest value of n you can into a calculator or spreadsheet? Just to see!)

PS Your best guess is not quite right, but it may still give you an idea of how to manipulate the expression.

Last edited:
HallsofIvy said:
Multiplying by [itex]\frac{\sqrt[4]{2n- 1}}{\sqrt[4]{2n- 1}}[/itex] will give a square root in the denominator but leave a fourth root in the denominator so I don't see that as helping.

Use, rather, the fact that [itex]x^4- y^4= (x- y)(x^3+ x^2y+ xy^2+ y^3[/itex] with [itex]x= \sqrt[4]{2n+1}[/itex] and [itex]y= \sqrt[4]{n+ 1}[/itex].
I've used that formula, and another one; the result is a rather pretty numerator of n... over a rather ugly denominator of sums of products of roots of n's and 2n's. I don't know what to do with it.

I've checked with very large numbers and a graphing calculator and saw that the function is technically increasing... veeery slowly, but it is increasing apparently to infinity. If it were plotted in x-y coordinates, you'd get points with an x of 1 billion and a y of... 33, if I remember well. I can't figure out the limit intuitively.

Benighted said:
I've used that formula, and another one; the result is a rather pretty numerator of n... over a rather ugly denominator of sums of products of roots of n's and 2n's. I don't know what to do with it.

I've checked with very large numbers and a graphing calculator and saw that the function is technically increasing... veeery slowly, but it is increasing apparently to infinity. If it were plotted in x-y coordinates, you'd get points with an x of 1 billion and a y of... 33, if I remember well. I can't figure out the limit intuitively.

I reckon you need a bit of help. Here's how I looked at it:

##\sqrt[4] {2n + 1}## tends to ##\sqrt[4] {2n}## and ##\sqrt[4] {n + 1}## tends to ##\sqrt[4] {n}##

So, the difference tends to ##(\sqrt[4] {2}-1)\sqrt[4] {n}## and hence the sequence diverges.

This informal analysis should also give you the clue to take out a factor of ##\sqrt[4] {n}## in order to show this formally.

PeroK said:
##\sqrt[4] {2n + 1}## tends to ##\sqrt[4] {2n}## and ##\sqrt[4] {n + 1}## tends to ##\sqrt[4] {n}##

So, the difference tends to ##(\sqrt[4] {2}-1)\sqrt[4] {n}## and hence the sequence diverges.

The first line of this argument has been quite obvious to me from the beginning... yet somehow I never made the jump to the eventual conclusion. Now it all makes sense. Thanks a lot!

1. What is the definition of a sequence limit?

A sequence limit is the value that a sequence of numbers approaches as the terms in the sequence get closer and closer to each other. It is essentially the value that the sequence "converges" to.

2. How do you determine the limit of a sequence?

The limit of a sequence can be determined by looking at the pattern of the sequence and finding the value that the terms are approaching. It can also be found by using mathematical techniques, such as the squeeze theorem, to evaluate the limit.

3. What is the difference of radicals in a sequence limit?

The difference of radicals in a sequence limit refers to the difference between two terms in the sequence that contain radicals, or square roots. This difference can affect the overall limit of the sequence and must be taken into consideration when evaluating the limit.

4. Can the limit of a sequence with radicals be irrational?

Yes, the limit of a sequence with radicals can be irrational. This means that the limit is a non-terminating, non-repeating decimal that cannot be expressed as a fraction. This is because the terms in the sequence may contain irrational numbers, such as square roots, which can result in an irrational limit.

5. How is the difference of radicals used in real-world applications?

The concept of difference of radicals in sequence limits has applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and finance. It can be used to model and predict the behavior of systems that involve continuous change, such as the growth of a population or the decay of a radioactive substance. It can also be used to optimize processes in engineering and finance, such as finding the maximum or minimum value of a function.