Series connected zener diodes problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the breakdown voltage of two zener diodes when a combined voltage of 150V is applied. The question is whether a current exists where the sum of the diode voltages is 100 volts. It is determined that D1 breaks down at 80 volts while D2 reaches only 20 volts. The conversation also touches on the different avalanche currents of the two diodes and concludes with the answer A being the most fitting.
saurav106
I have attached the image with post.

Answer to question is given as A. I am not getting the explanation to how can one zener diodes be in breakdown and other not. I think if the combined voltage of 150V is applied then only breakdown occurrs in both the diodes simultaneously.

SvPyxhW.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20160302_000628.jpg
    IMG_20160302_000628.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 402
Likes Alok Vats
Engineering news on Phys.org
saurav106 said:
I think if the combined voltage of 150V is applied then only breakdown occurrs in both the diodes simultaneously.
You are right: The answer is D) as for Vsupplied < 100 V.

D1 and D2 will conduct some small amount of current, sharing the supplied voltage, but the voltages VD1+VD2 < 100V are not defined as break down voltages.

Last edited:
Maybe we should ask the question instead as:
"Does some arbitrarycurrent I100 exist
where the sum of the diode voltages is 100 volts? "
Surely there does.

The diodes see the same current of course ...
Any given current would be a horizontal line on the graph
and where it crosses each diode's characteristic curve is the voltage for that diode at that current.
so let's take a ruler and dividers to it .
Sliding my red horizontal current line down from zero amps
it appears D1 breaks down at 80 volts well before D2 reaches even 20 volts
so if i lay my horizontal current line so it crosses D2's characteristic curve at 20 volts
i have found one possible I100 .
zeners.jpg

It seems strange that those two diodes have such different avalanche currents

but those are the curves we were given.

I'd have to pick answer A.

I think this was more an exercise in graph reading than zener diodes ?

old jim

Last edited:
Likes cnh1995

1. How do series connected zener diodes work?

Series connected zener diodes work by regulating the voltage in a circuit. When connected in series, the diodes act as a voltage divider, with each diode dropping a specific amount of voltage. This allows for a stable output voltage, even when the input voltage fluctuates.

2. Can I connect multiple zener diodes in series?

Yes, you can connect multiple zener diodes in series as long as the total breakdown voltage of the diodes exceeds the input voltage. This will ensure that the diodes can regulate the voltage effectively without burning out.

3. What happens if one of the series connected zener diodes fails?

If one of the zener diodes in a series connection fails, the remaining diodes will still function to regulate the voltage. However, the output voltage may be slightly lower than expected due to the decrease in the number of diodes in the circuit.

4. How do I calculate the total breakdown voltage of series connected zener diodes?

The total breakdown voltage of series connected zener diodes can be calculated by adding the breakdown voltage of each individual diode. For example, if you have three 5V zener diodes connected in series, the total breakdown voltage would be 15V.

5. Are there any limitations to using series connected zener diodes?

One limitation of using series connected zener diodes is that they can only regulate voltage up to a certain point. If the input voltage exceeds the total breakdown voltage of the diodes, the output voltage will not be regulated and may damage the circuit. Additionally, using too many zener diodes in series can also cause a significant voltage drop, affecting the overall performance of the circuit.