Series resistors' output voltage

In summary: then the output of the voltage divider can't be defined anymore because now you are combining two resistors in series.
Puglife
In my electrical engineering textbook, in the section with voltage dividers, it says that after you combine two series resistors, then the output voltage can no longer be defined.

It then said that thus the equivalence was made strictly from a voltage source standpoint.

I do not understand why the output voltage would be no longer defined?

Your help much appreciated

Engineering news on Phys.org
Puglife said:
In my electrical engineering textbook, in the section with voltage dividers, it says that after you combine two series resistors, then the output voltage can no longer be defined.

It then said that thus the equivalence was made strictly from a voltage source standpoint.

I do not understand why the output voltage would be no longer defined?

Your help much appreciated
The statements as you express them make no sense. Please quote it EXACTLY.

"after you combine two series resistors, then the output voltage can no longer be defined, thus the equivalence was made strictly from a voltage source standpoint." was a direct quote, and that's all it said. Their was a picture of a voltage source, and two series resistors right above that statement, but their was not defined output.

I am now assuming that the output is the voltage across resistor 2, because that is the only thing that makes any sense. I was just wondering if their was any like, laws, or insight that I was missing that I didnt understand

Puglife said:
"after you combine two series resistors, then the output voltage can no longer be defined, thus the equivalence was made strictly from a voltage source standpoint." was a direct quote, and that's all it said. Their was a picture of a voltage source, and two series resistors right above that statement, but their was not defined output.

I am now assuming that the output is the voltage across resistor 2, because that is the only thing that makes any sense. I was just wondering if their was any like, laws, or insight that I was missing that I didnt understand
Still doesn't make sense to me. I'd have to see the exact circuit to which they have applied that statement.

Likes davenn
phinds said:
Still doesn't make sense to me. I'd have to see the exact circuit to which they have applied that statement.

agree with phinds ... in particular the
after you combine two series resistors

DC circuit1.GIF

do you see any problem in this voltage divider ?
what do you think the voltage at point B is ?Dave

Can you scan that page of your book?

I'm wondering if the circuit comprises a battery with internal resistance and a load resistor? In that case if you combine the two resistors into one the node representing the battery terminal (aka output voltage) disappears.

Since the word "after" is not capitalized, does that mean it isn't the first word in the sentence...? Yes, additional context would help.

russ_watters said:
Yes, additional context would help.
Is essential, I think.

Puglife said:
after you combine two series resistors, then the output voltage can no longer be defined
I think it just means that the output voltage of a voltage divider can't be defined anymore after you combine the input resistor and the pull-down resistor in series. Like if you are solving a circuit that has a potentiometer in it or something, and need to combine the two sides of the pot to help you solve for some voltage other than the wiper voltage...

1. What is the formula for calculating the output voltage of a series resistor?

The formula for calculating the output voltage of a series resistor is Vout = Vin x (R2 / R1 + R2), where Vin is the input voltage and R1 and R2 are the values of the resistors in the series circuit.

2. How does the value of the resistors affect the output voltage?

The value of the resistors affects the output voltage in a direct proportion. As the value of the resistors increases, the output voltage will also increase, and vice versa.

3. What happens to the output voltage when resistors are connected in series?

When resistors are connected in series, the output voltage is divided among the resistors. This means that the total output voltage will be the sum of the voltage drops across each resistor.

4. Can the output voltage be larger than the input voltage in a series resistor circuit?

No, the output voltage cannot be larger than the input voltage in a series resistor circuit. The output voltage is always equal to or less than the input voltage.

5. How does the total resistance of a series circuit affect the output voltage?

The total resistance of a series circuit affects the output voltage by decreasing it. As more resistors are added in series, the total resistance of the circuit increases, resulting in a decrease in the output voltage.