Serious critique of Erikson's psychological theories?

• Thread starter nomadreid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theories
In summary, the conversation was about asking for suggestions for freely-available online sources for criticism of the theories of Erik Erikson. Some sources were suggested, including articles published on PubMed, but they were not freely available. Other recommendations were made to explore the works of Abraham Maslow and Malcolm Margolin for a better understanding of identity and motivation. The conversation also touched upon the differences between psychoanalysis and modern science, and the futility of seeking a "good critique" from a respected source in this field. The conversation concluded with the question of whether Milton Erickson was purely focused on applied psychology and absent from theoretical psychology. The thread was ultimately closed with the OP finding some sources that were appropriate for their purposes.
nomadreid
Gold Member
This is asking for suggestions for freely-available serious on-line sources (with links) for criticism of the theories of Erik Erikson.

Details: The neo-Freudian psychologist Erik Erikson https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erik_Erikson was and remains quite popular. However, looking through his theories, I find that they seem to be very unscientific, often baseless, with the kind of generalization (with ill-defined terms) based on personal reflection that was characteristic of Freud, except that Freud had the excuse that he lived before such things as rigorous statistical analysis, neurological research, and other standards now required of any decent science even existed. OK, psychology is not a hard science, but when an acquaintance recently gushed about how wonderful the man was and used him as a source to justify a highly dubious claim, I wished to give the acquaintance a good critique from a respected source. To my surprise, an Internet search turned up nothing!

Any constructive suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
nomadreid said:
Details: The neo-Freudian psychologist Erik Erikson https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erik_Erikson was and remains quite popular. However, looking through his theories, I find that they seem to be very unscientific, {snip}
When I studied psychology at university, Erikson was discussed in several contexts but often dismissed for the same reasons the OP noticed, even as Sigmund Freud was undergoing a revival of sorts particularly among child developmental psychologists (1990's).

As a STEM major, I found Erikson's contemporary Abraham Maslow more grounded in scientific methodology with a superior framework for realizing identity and motivation for acquiring and internalizing knowledge. I read Erikson's anthropology texts on Northern California native tribes, chiefly remembering his emphasis on religion as a socialization method in conflict with coauthors and ethnologists noting the importance of family lineage.

For constructive discussion of "Yurok" and Erikson's contributions to cultural anthropology in Northern California consider reading related textbooks published and written by Malcolm Margolin. Margolin and associates describe facial tattoos and other permanent body modifications common among these tribes such as head flattening and cicatrization strongly connected to lineage and identifying acceptable mates but with little relation to religion.

Likes nomadreid
Thanks to both berkeman and Klystron for your contributions.

The articles cited by berkeman are unfortunately not freely available online.

Klystron's recommendations to check out Maslow and Margolin look interesting, and I shall pursue them.

I threw out this question about Erik Erikson to several acquaintances, and I have now some sources that will be appropriate for my purposes. So that line of inquiry can be closed, with my thanks. However, this accidentally brought up another question, just a "by the way" question -- one person got Erik Erikson mixed up with Milton Erickson, so I looked up the latter. I found only notes about his practice, but nothing substantial about his theory beyond "well, this seems to work", and the fact that he talked about the subconscious without ever really saying what it was. Was he purely in applied psychology and absent from theoretical psychology?

Likes Klystron
nomadreid said:
they seem to be very unscientific, often baseless, with the kind of generalization (with ill-defined terms) based on personal reflection that was characteristic of Freud, except that Freud had the excuse that he lived before such things as rigorous statistical analysis, neurological research, and other standards now required of any decent science even existed.
Psychoanalysis in general is not exactly science as we now understand science, so no wonder. It's more like some kind of a self-reflection guide. In therapeutical usage it heavily relies on a kind of master-pupil relation, which also implies that this relation should at least function (so not all therapeutist for all patient and consequently: not all school of thought for all therapeutists too).

Since it's not really science, 'good critique from a respected source' will not really work. Some overreaching claims might be refuted and the nature of the field can be highlighted again and again, but it's still like talking about good marriage: while you can make some general (and generally useless) claims, at the end it should work between two people (well, mostly two).

Likes Evo
nomadreid said:
I threw out this question about Erik Erikson to several acquaintances, and I have now some sources that will be appropriate for my purposes. So that line of inquiry can be closed, with my thanks.
Thanks nomadreid, the thread is now closed.

1. What are the main criticisms of Erikson's psychosocial theory?

Some of the main criticisms of Erikson's theory include its reliance on anecdotal evidence and case studies, its lack of empirical support, and its oversimplification of complex psychological processes.

2. How does Erikson's theory compare to other psychological theories?

Erikson's theory has been compared to other developmental theories, such as Freud's psychosexual theory and Piaget's cognitive development theory. While there are some similarities, Erikson's theory has been criticized for being less comprehensive and for neglecting important factors such as genetics and environmental influences.

3. Are there any cultural or gender biases in Erikson's theory?

Yes, some critics have argued that Erikson's theory is biased towards Western, individualistic cultures and does not adequately account for cultural and gender differences in psychological development.

4. What are some potential implications of Erikson's theory in practical settings?

Erikson's theory has been influential in fields such as education and counseling, but its practical applications have been questioned due to its lack of empirical support and potential biases. Some have also raised concerns about the potential harm of labeling individuals based on their stage of psychosocial development.

5. Does Erikson's theory have any relevance in modern psychology?

While Erikson's theory is still widely studied and referenced, it has been largely overshadowed by more recent and comprehensive developmental theories. Some aspects of the theory, such as the concept of identity, are still relevant and continue to be studied in modern psychology.