Setting Pressure on Relief valves on Water Cooled Panels

In summary: in summary, relief valves should be set between the operating pressure and the maximum safe over pressure.
SteelMaker
Gentlemen,

I work in the steel industry, specifically in the melt shop department which operates electric arc furnaces. My question is that those electric arc furnaces have water cooled panels around the furnace, and I am trying to install relief valves on the panels. the molten metal and slag in on the side of the panels can reach 3050 F on the molten metal side. the panel have circuits of water running through them to cool them while making steel. we are trying to learn at what pressure should we set the relief valves to? basically we worry when the panel starts leaking and the water start to convert to steam in the panels. I attached pictures of typical panel. please let me know what are your thoughts on calculations for flow, pressure drop, pressure setting for relief valves. Alot of time the circuits in the panels have one outlet and one inlet. Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 478
  • panel.jpg
    panel.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 467
Engineering news on Phys.org
I think more info might be needed to get more responses. You acknowledge that the boiling point of water changes with pressure which is a good start. Where does the heat go after the water takes it away (giant radiator, cooling pond etc.)? What is it's pressure rating? What pump or type of pump is used? How many btu's need to be dissipated? Or can be dissipated? I assume these panels are plumbed "in parallel". What diameter the pipes are and rough length would be needed to estimate head loss and flow rate.

just some thoughts to get the topic flowing

Likes SteelMaker
Who specifies, makes or supplies the panels? They should be designed to work at a certain working pressure and a maximum safe over pressure. The Pressure Relief Valve (PRV) will need to be set somewhere between the two depending how accurate it is and the consequences if it opens unnecessarily.

You also need to check the capacity of the PRV not just the operating pressure. For example in an emergency can the water escape fast enough to lower the pressure or will the pressure keep rising even with the PRV open! This is especially true if the water can boil and turn to steam when the PRV opens. You also need to think about where any water or steam will be vented. High velocity steam jets are no joke.

Steam explosions are particularly dangerous. It's not like being splashed with 100C water. When steam condenses on skin it delivers a lot of energy due to the high latent heat of vaporisation that water has.

To me honest your post fills me with horror. If these panels aren't being designed and tested to meet a carefully thought out specification I strongly suggest you bring this to the attention of whoever is the safety officer for the plant.

Likes SteelMaker
This is highly dangerous to try to engineer on an Internet forum. Please consult the vendor or a registered professional engineer.

Thread locked.

What is the purpose of setting pressure on relief valves on water cooled panels?

The purpose of setting pressure on relief valves on water cooled panels is to ensure that the pressure inside the system stays at a safe and optimal level. The relief valves act as a safety mechanism to prevent overpressure and potential damage to the system.

How do you determine the appropriate setting pressure for relief valves on water cooled panels?

The appropriate setting pressure for relief valves on water cooled panels is determined by considering the maximum operating pressure of the system, any potential fluctuations in pressure, and the type of fluid being used. It is important to consult the manufacturer's guidelines and industry standards when determining the setting pressure.

What happens if the setting pressure is too low on relief valves for water cooled panels?

If the setting pressure is too low on relief valves for water cooled panels, the valves may open frequently or continuously, causing unnecessary wear and tear on the system. This can also result in a decrease in efficiency and potential damage to the system. It is important to ensure that the setting pressure is accurately determined and adjusted accordingly.

Can the setting pressure be adjusted after installation of relief valves on water cooled panels?

Yes, the setting pressure can be adjusted after the installation of relief valves on water cooled panels. However, it is important to follow proper procedures and guidelines when making any adjustments to ensure the safety and functionality of the system.

How often should the setting pressure be checked and adjusted on relief valves for water cooled panels?

The setting pressure on relief valves for water cooled panels should be checked and adjusted regularly, as recommended by the manufacturer. In general, it is recommended to check and adjust the setting pressure at least once a year to ensure the safety and efficiency of the system.