Shankar, Feynman, Griffiths and Resnick?

In summary, you should read the following books in the following order: 1) Eisberg, Resnick, and Griffiths 2) Apostol 3) Shankar
sarvesh0303
I know there are a lot of similar questions here but just hear me out.
I am going to start self-studying quantum mechanics in a few days. I think I am going to use the MIT quantum mechanics 1 lectures as a starting point. But books will be essential as I spend most of my time in school. I have squared in on Shankar, Feynman Lectures Book 3, Resnick, and Griffiths as my books. Budget is not a problem as I could find cheap editions available here.
My questions are :
1) In what sequence should I read them so that I can have a good understanding of quantum mechanics and at the same time, a good amount of mathematical prowess? Or should I read them in parallel with each other.
2) I don't have a complete understanding of linear algebra. I understand stuff like determinants and matrices, but not very proficient in eigenvectors and eigenvalues. Is the linear algebra given in Shankar enough? Or should I master the text by Gilbert Strang?
3) How much of knowledge of differential equations do I need? I have read the first book by Apostol, so I am comfortable with stuff like linear second order differential equations but don't know the complex topics such as Legendre equations.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It sounds to me like you are prepared enough for Shankar. Most books will explain methods of solving differential equations like separation of variables and solution by power series.

Eisberg Resnick should be first; Griffith next; Shankar last. Linear algebra preparation does not require Strang nor Calculus Apostol. Math rigor should be second to math facility and comfort. Rigor can come later. Any good book in Linear algebra that addresses is good. Thomas's Calculus is adequate until Griffith. You will need to know how to solve partial differential equations ( a good math methods course with Arfken & Weber, Boas, or Butkov is important).

Thanks! :)

I would recommend the following approach to studying quantum mechanics with these books:

1) Start with Shankar's "Principles of Quantum Mechanics" as it provides a solid foundation for understanding the subject. It covers all the important concepts and mathematical tools needed for quantum mechanics. You can also use the MIT lectures as a supplement to your learning.

2) While Shankar's book covers the necessary linear algebra, if you feel like you need more practice and understanding, you can refer to Gilbert Strang's book. It is a highly recommended text for learning linear algebra and will definitely help you in understanding quantum mechanics better.

3) A basic understanding of differential equations is necessary for quantum mechanics, but you do not need to be an expert in complex topics such as Legendre equations. If you have a good understanding of linear second order differential equations, that should be sufficient for studying quantum mechanics. However, if you feel like you need more practice, you can refer to Apostol's book.

In terms of sequencing, I would suggest reading Shankar's book first, followed by Feynman's lectures and then Griffiths and Resnick's books. This will give you a good understanding of the subject and allow you to build upon your knowledge in a structured manner.

Overall, it is important to have a good balance between theory and mathematical skills when studying quantum mechanics. So, make sure to spend enough time practicing problems and understanding the mathematical concepts, as they are essential for a deep understanding of the subject. Good luck with your studies!

1. Who are Shankar, Feynman, Griffiths, and Resnick?

Shankar, Feynman, Griffiths, and Resnick are all famous physicists who have made significant contributions to the field of physics.

2. What are some of Shankar's notable achievements?

Shankar is known for his work in theoretical condensed matter physics and quantum mechanics. He also wrote the popular textbook "Principles of Quantum Mechanics."

3. What is Feynman famous for?

Feynman is known for his contributions to quantum electrodynamics, particle physics, and quantum computing. He also wrote several popular books, including "Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!" and "The Feynman Lectures on Physics."

4. What are some notable works by Griffiths?

Griffiths is known for his textbooks on electrodynamics and quantum mechanics, which are widely used by students and researchers. He has also made significant contributions to the field of particle physics.

5. What is Resnick best known for?

Resnick is best known for co-authoring the popular physics textbook "Fundamentals of Physics" with Halliday and Walker. He also made significant contributions to the field of astrophysics and cosmology.