How Do Forces Affect the Deformation and Young's Modulus of a Book?

In summary, the problem involves a large book with forces of magnitude 14 N applied to two opposite faces of area 42 cm2. The book has a thickness of 2.0 cm and a deformation angle of 8.4°. The two questions asked are: 1) what is the change in x, and 2) what is the young's modulus for the book? The equations used include F/A = S*deltaX/L and 2cos(8.4). The person asking the questions struggled with finding the change in x and used both sin and cos to solve it. They also asked for an explanation of the significance and meaning of sin and cos.
Schoomy

Homework Statement

A large book has forces of magnitude 14 N applied in opposite directions to two opposite faces of area 42 cm2. The thickness of the book (L) is 2.0 cm. The deformation angle (g) is 8.4°.

1) what is change in X?
2) What is young's modulus for the book?

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/119186/Picture%201.png

Homework Equations

I tried getting change in x doing 2cos(8.4) but I'm horrible at trig. What should I have done?

Once I do that, I can just plug it all into F/A = S*deltaX/L
Right?

What should I be doing to get the change in X?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
And I should have just used SIN!

Can someone explain to me why I needed to use SIN over COS in this example? I just don't get it.

What does SIN or COS intrinsically mean, represent, etc?

To determine the change in X, you need to use the formula Δx = L tan(θ), where L is the thickness of the book and θ is the deformation angle. In this case, the change in X would be 0.29 cm.

To calculate the Young's modulus for the book, you can use the formula E = F/AΔx/L, where F is the force applied, A is the area of the book, Δx is the change in X, and L is the thickness of the book. In this case, the Young's modulus would be approximately 97.9 N/cm^2.

It is important to note that this calculation assumes the book is a homogeneous material and that the forces are evenly distributed across the surface. Realistically, the book may have varying densities and the forces may not be evenly distributed, so the calculated Young's modulus may not be entirely accurate.

Related to How Do Forces Affect the Deformation and Young's Modulus of a Book?

What is sheer deformation of a book?

Sheer deformation of a book refers to the bending or warping of a book's spine or pages due to external forces, such as improper storage or handling.

What causes sheer deformation of a book?

Sheer deformation of a book can be caused by a variety of factors, including exposure to moisture, extreme temperatures, and pressure from heavy objects placed on top of the book.

How can I prevent sheer deformation of a book?

To prevent sheer deformation of a book, it is important to store and handle books properly. This includes keeping them in a dry and cool environment and avoiding placing heavy objects on top of them.

Can sheer deformation of a book be reversed?

In some cases, sheer deformation of a book can be reversed by carefully reshaping the spine and pages. However, this should only be attempted by a professional conservator to avoid causing further damage.

What are the long-term effects of sheer deformation on a book?

Sheer deformation can weaken the structure of a book and lead to further damage, such as torn pages or detached covers. It can also decrease the value and lifespan of the book.