Shell element contact problem

In summary, a shell element contact problem is an engineering problem that involves the interaction between curved surfaces. These problems are important because they can occur in many real-world applications and can impact the structural integrity and safety of a design. Solving these problems can be challenging due to the complex contact behavior and geometry involved. Engineers typically use finite element analysis methods to solve shell element contact problems and they can be applied in various fields such as structural design and biomechanics.
deveshp1
Hello All,

I am facing some problem while defining contact between shell elements. My problem is as below.

1. Two thin layers (thickness of 10^-5 m each) of composite material are bonded to a solid material like foam.
2. A third layer of the same thickness comes in contact for a certain period of time. This third layer is hot at a temperature of 232 deg celsius and there is a surface to surface contact.
3. I know the thermal contact conductance value between the hot layer and the two composite layers.

I have modeled this problem in Ansys classical. I created an area to define the hot layer and a volume which is offset from this area by the hot layer thickness to define the two bonded layers in contact wit a solid foam (Meshing area attached to the volume with shell elements and then sweeping the area by VSWEEP command) I am using SECOFFSET as bottom plane for the two bonded layers (as it is also bonded to a solid material to use the Paint option) and top plane for third hot layer. The problem while solving is that I cannot see any heat transfer from the hot layer to the two bonded layers.

Am I making some mistakes in modeling the problem?

Please help.

Thank You.

Devesh

Engineering news on Phys.org

Dear Devesh,

Thank you for sharing your problem with us. It seems like you have a complex and interesting simulation set up. From what you have described, it appears that the thermal contact conductance value between the hot layer and the two composite layers is not being properly accounted for in your model.

To properly define the contact between the shell elements, I would suggest using the CONTACT element in Ansys. This element allows you to define the contact properties between different materials, including thermal contact conductance. You can also specify the contact surface between the different layers by defining the offset distance and contact type (surface to surface in this case).

Additionally, make sure that the material properties and boundary conditions are accurately defined for each layer in your model. This will ensure that the heat transfer is properly simulated between the hot layer and the two bonded layers.

I hope this helps you solve your problem. If you continue to face issues, feel free to reach out for further assistance.

1. What is a shell element contact problem?

A shell element contact problem is a type of engineering problem that involves the interaction between two or more thin, curved surfaces (known as shells) that are in contact with each other. These types of problems are commonly encountered in structural analysis and design, where the shells may represent components such as plates, shells, or beams.

2. Why are shell element contact problems important?

Shell element contact problems are important because they can occur in many real-world engineering applications, such as in the design of bridges, aircraft, and other structures. These problems can have a significant impact on the structural integrity and safety of a design, and therefore must be carefully analyzed and addressed.

3. What are the challenges in solving shell element contact problems?

One of the main challenges in solving shell element contact problems is accurately modeling the contact behavior between the shells. This requires understanding the complex interactions between the surfaces, including how they deform, slide, and possibly separate under different loading conditions. Additionally, accurately modeling the geometry, material properties, and boundary conditions can also be challenging.

4. How do engineers typically solve shell element contact problems?

Engineers typically solve shell element contact problems using finite element analysis (FEA) methods, which involve breaking down the problem into smaller, more manageable elements and using numerical techniques to solve the resulting equations. This allows engineers to model the complex behavior of the shells and accurately predict their response to different loading conditions.

5. What are some common applications of shell element contact problems?

Shell element contact problems are commonly encountered in a variety of engineering applications, including structural design, mechanical systems, and biomechanics. They can be used to analyze and optimize the performance of components such as joints, seals, and bearings, and to ensure the safety and reliability of a design.