Shining a laser out of a train - What does the stationary

• Thread starter mycotheology
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Laser Train
In summary, in the scenario of a train traveling at a speed close to the speed of light and a laser pointer being shone out of its front window, a stationary observer with an insanely fast shutter speed will see the light pulse ahead of the train at a speed of 0.01c. However, from the point of view of someone on the train, the light will appear to recede at the speed of light. It is important to note that this perspective may not accurately reflect the principles of physics.
mycotheology
Lets say its the future your camera has an insanely fast shutter speed. You're standing on the ground watching a train travel past at just under the speed of light and the train driver is shining a laser pointer out the front window. With your insanely fast reflexes you take a take a picture of the train (or better yet you record a video). Would you see the laser light slowly moving ahead of the train, or would you see the laser beam traveling ahead of the train at full speed? If its the latter, I'm mighty confused because I can't see how you would record normal light speed for the laser beam, rather than light speed + the speed of the train.

If its the former then I think I'm starting to get my head around special relativity.

Physics news on Phys.org
You "see" the light as traveling at speed c. If the train is traveling at 0.99c for the sake of argument, then from your point of view, the separation between the train and the light pulse increases at the rate of 0.01c.

From the point of view of someone on the train, the light pulse recedes at speed c.

Ah right, so the stationary observer sees the light travel ahead of the train at 0.01c, that's what I needed to know, thanks a lot.

mycotheology said:
Ah right, so the stationary observer sees the light travel ahead of the train at 0.01c, that's what I needed to know, thanks a lot.

Just keep in mind that that is a somewhat dangerous way of looking at things from the point of view of understanding physics. What the observer sees is light moving at c. The speed of the emitting object is irrelevant.

I can provide an explanation for this scenario based on the principles of special relativity. According to the theory of relativity, the speed of light is constant and the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion. This means that the speed of light is always measured to be the same, regardless of the motion of the source or the observer.

In this scenario, the train is traveling at near the speed of light, while the laser beam is also traveling at the speed of light. This means that from the perspective of an observer on the ground, the laser beam would appear to move at the speed of light, with no additional velocity due to the train's motion. This is because the speed of light is already the maximum possible speed, and cannot be added to by the motion of the train.

So, in the recorded video, the laser beam would appear to be traveling at the speed of light, with no additional velocity due to the train's motion. This may seem counterintuitive, but it is a fundamental principle of special relativity.

In conclusion, from the perspective of an observer on the ground, the laser beam would appear to move at the speed of light, regardless of the motion of the train. This is due to the constant speed of light and the principles of special relativity.

1. What happens to the laser when it is shined out of a moving train?

The laser will continue to move at the same speed and direction as the train, as long as there is no external force acting on it. This is due to the principle of inertia, which states that an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force.

2. Will the laser be affected by the train's acceleration or deceleration?

Yes, the laser will be affected by the train's acceleration or deceleration. As the train speeds up or slows down, the laser will also experience changes in speed and direction. This is because the train's acceleration or deceleration is an external force acting on the laser.

3. How does the speed of the train affect the trajectory of the laser?

The speed of the train will affect the trajectory of the laser. If the train is moving at a constant speed, the laser will maintain a straight path. However, if the train is accelerating or decelerating, the laser's trajectory will be curved due to the train's changing velocity.

4. Can the laser be shined out of a train moving at any speed?

Yes, the laser can be shined out of a train moving at any speed. However, the faster the train is moving, the more difficult it will be to maintain a steady and accurate beam due to external factors such as wind resistance and vibrations.

5. Is shining a laser out of a moving train dangerous?

Shining a laser out of a moving train can be dangerous if proper precautions are not taken. The laser beam can cause temporary or permanent eye damage if pointed at someone's eyes. It is important to use caution when handling and using lasers, especially in public spaces like trains.