Short Edge Margin: Is 1.36D Sufficient to Prevent Shear-Out?

In summary, the conversation discusses the edge margin condition of 1.36D on one part of aluminum that is joined with bolts. The speaker questions if this margin is enough to prevent shear-tear-out-failure, considering the sufficient bearing strength of all parts. Another speaker clarifies that their bearing allowable is higher than shear tear out, so there should be no worry about shear-tear out failure even with a margin of 1.3 D<2D. The group also discusses the sequence of failure, with one speaker wondering if shear tear out always occurs after bearing failure.
har_rai
Hello All,
I have short edge margin condition of 1.36D on one of the part.Actually 3 parts of aluminum are joined together by bolts and one part has short edge margin.

All the parts have sufficient bearing strength.So if I understand right bearing failure occurs before shear-tear-out-failure.So if this is right then is 1.36D okay to prevent shear-out as there is no bearing failure due to sufficient bearing strength?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi
If somebody is confused I just want to say that my bearing allowable is much higher than shear tear out so I think I shouldn't be worried for shear-tear out failure even though it is 1.3 D<2D.

Am I right in this?

And is shear tear out always occur after bearing failure?

Thanks

1. What is the definition of short edge margin?

The short edge margin is the distance between the edge of a material and the closest point of contact with another material.

2. How is the short edge margin measured?

The short edge margin is typically measured in millimeters or inches using a ruler or caliper.

3. What is the significance of a 1.36D short edge margin?

A 1.36D short edge margin means that the distance between the edge of a material and the closest point of contact is 1.36 times the diameter of the material. This measurement is commonly used in the field of material science to prevent shear-out, which is when a material is pulled or pushed apart due to uneven stress.

4. Is a 1.36D short edge margin sufficient to prevent shear-out?

It depends on the specific materials and application. In general, a 1.36D short edge margin is considered to be sufficient to prevent shear-out, but this may vary based on factors such as the strength and properties of the materials, the amount of stress applied, and the design of the structure.

5. Are there any alternative methods for preventing shear-out besides using a 1.36D short edge margin?

Yes, there are other techniques and designs that can be used to prevent shear-out, such as using reinforcements or increasing the thickness of the materials. It is important to carefully consider the specific application and consult with experts in the field to determine the most effective method for preventing shear-out.