Shortest wavelenght emmited by a black body

In summary, the shortest and longest wavelengths observed for a black body depend on the temperature and detection abilities. According to the Planck formula, there is no theoretical limit for the shortest wavelength, but the probability of detecting such wavelengths is very small. On the other hand, detecting very long wavelengths would require a detector at a lower temperature than the source. Ultimately, the experimental observation of these wavelengths depends on our detection abilities.
AkInfinity
what is the shortest and longest wavelenght that has experimentally observed for a black body?

Additoinally what are the theoretical limits?

I know it's a hard one,

Physics news on Phys.org
Referring to the Planck formula for blackbody radiation there is no shortest wavelength, the spectrum u(λ) is nonzero for arbitrary short wavelength λ > 0. But of course the probability to observe arbitary short wavelengths is arbitrary small.

I agree with Tom, I would have thought it all depends on our detection abilities.
To detect a very long wave we would require the detector to be at a temperature less than that of the source. To detect a very short wave we would require a detector that would somehow interact with the extremely high energy waves, now this is tricky since they would 'fly' right through.
Hence experimental observations of long/short waves depends simply on are ability to detect them... I feel like I am just rewording Tom. :)

Thank you, yes what I was looking four.

of course blcack body depends on temperature however my question was if there whas a limit to it. Ineterestingly enough I found the answer to my question thanks

Related to Shortest wavelenght emmited by a black body

What is the shortest wavelength emitted by a black body?

The shortest wavelength emitted by a black body is known as the Wien displacement law. It states that the peak of the black body radiation curve is inversely proportional to the temperature of the body. This means that as the temperature increases, the wavelength of the peak emission decreases.

How is the shortest wavelength emitted by a black body calculated?

The shortest wavelength emitted by a black body can be calculated using Wien's displacement constant, which is equal to approximately 2.898 x 10^-3 meters kelvin. The formula for calculating the shortest wavelength is λ = (wien's constant)/T, where T is the temperature of the black body in kelvin.

Why is the shortest wavelength emitted by a black body important?

The shortest wavelength emitted by a black body is important because it provides information about the temperature and energy of the body. By studying the wavelength of the peak emission, scientists can determine the temperature of the black body and understand its properties and behavior.

Can the shortest wavelength emitted by a black body be seen by the naked eye?

No, the shortest wavelength emitted by a black body is in the ultraviolet range, which is not visible to the naked eye. However, it can be detected using special instruments and technology, such as spectrophotometers.

How does the shortest wavelength emitted by a black body relate to other electromagnetic radiation?

The shortest wavelength emitted by a black body is just one part of the electromagnetic spectrum, which includes all wavelengths of electromagnetic radiation. It falls in the shorter wavelength range, which also includes gamma rays, X-rays, and ultraviolet radiation. As the wavelength increases, the energy of the radiation decreases, and different types of radiation have different uses and effects.