Should Clown Halloween Costumes Be Banned?

• News
  • Thread starter Isaac0427
  • Start date
In summary: Girl-13-suspected-in-Philly-schools-clown-threats.html?amphtml=yA 13-year-old girl is suspected of making clown threats to several schools in Philadelphia.The threats were made over the phone, and police say they believe the girl is behind them all.The girl has been charged with making terroristic threats, a felony.This is a serious issue. With all the things going on with clowns, there has been talking about banning clown halloween costumes in the USA and Canada. Critics are saying this violates freedom of expression for a bad reason;
Isaac0427
Insights Author
Ok, I know this sounds like a stupid thread, but it is a serious issue. With all the things going on with clowns, there has been talking about banning clown halloween costumes in the USA and Canada. Critics are saying this violates freedom of expression for a bad reason; just because a few people are bad clowns doesn't mean it should ruin clown costumes for everyone. What do you guys think?

Also, if you have interesting clown sighting articles, please post here.

Physics news on Phys.org
When you say "bad clowns", are you referring to the upcoming elections?

Likes berkeman
vela said:
Perhaps you were trying to be funny :wink:, but apparently this clown brouhaha is real.

http://www.oregonlive.com/today/index.ssf/2016/10/should_we_ban_clown_costumes.html

The only thing you get from banning clown costumes is:

1. The assurance there are thousands of people dressed as clowns in various cities.

2. An unenforceable piece of legislation.

1 will probably happen anyway. I don't see what all the fuss is about to be honest.

Likes Mark44, mheslep and Psinter
People just need to warn children to stay away from people dressed as clowns acting inappropriately (offering gifts, candy, trying to get them to follow them, asking for help, to see an animal). Things a normal adult stranger would not be doing with a child they don't know. And I don't mean answering their door and handing out candy, although wearing a clown suit to do that is kind of creepy. Parents need to take responsibility to teach their children what is appropriate.

Likes Sophia, titatos, Psinter and 1 other person
Why are people dressing up as clowns, scaring others? It has migrated to Australia, and probably already NZ.

Likes titatos
Krylov said:
I thought the exact same thing when I saw the title. It was the first thing that crossed my mind as soon as I read it. I thought it was going to be a funny post with pictures of them as clowns.

Related: Long time ago... Well, not that long. When I was a kid in elementary school, there were news sprouting from time to time warning about people dressed as clowns in a vehicle offering candies to kids in schools. It was the whole year long with no particular time for the events.

The news told parents to tell their kids to get away immediately if someone, even if not dressed as a clown, offered candies or something else to them.

The news eventually disappeared. It looked like that practice stopped existing. It's been years since I heard news like that.
Isaac0427 said:
What do you guys think?
At this moment I have not yet formulated and opinion. At first sight I agree with Student100, but since kids are involved, it would require me to analyze it more to make a proper opinion. After all, they are kids and their security should be important... I think.

Edit: I got wrong Student100 username. I wrote Student2000. Typo fixed :biggrin:.

Last edited:
Likes S.G. Janssens and titatos
Krylov said:
http://img-9gag-fun.9cache.com/photo/aK3R1GZ_460s.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Psinter and S.G. Janssens
russ_watters said:
So it was a lie :rolleyes:. I can only say that they are not the only ones. I have personally seen wealthy adult individuals make false public alarms about dangers of possible criminal acts, but since they have the greens, they don't get charged or even processed at all.

These ones are teens and got charged. That's the way it should be, but not everyone gets processed.

1. How can I create a realistic clown makeup look for Halloween?

To create a realistic clown makeup look for Halloween, start by applying a white base all over your face. Then, use black eyeliner to draw exaggerated eyebrows and a red or pink shade on your cheeks for a rosy clown-like appearance. Next, use a combination of red and black face paint to create a big smile on your lips. Finally, add some finishing touches such as colorful eye makeup and a red nose to complete the look.

2. What type of clown costume should I wear for Halloween?

When choosing a clown costume for Halloween, you have many options. You can go for a classic clown look with a brightly colored jumpsuit, oversized shoes, and a big wig. You can also opt for a more modern twist with a creepy clown costume, complete with torn clothing and a scary clown mask. Ultimately, the type of clown costume you choose should match your personal style and comfort level.

3. Are there any safety precautions I should take when wearing a clown costume for Halloween?

Yes, there are a few safety precautions to keep in mind when wearing a clown costume for Halloween. First, make sure your costume and makeup do not obstruct your vision or breathing. Also, avoid using any sharp or potentially harmful props such as knives or swords. Lastly, be aware of your surroundings and avoid scaring young children or animals.

4. What are some fun accessories I can add to my clown costume for Halloween?

There are many fun accessories you can add to your clown costume for Halloween. Some ideas include a colorful wig or hat, oversized gloves, a bowtie, suspenders, and a squirting flower. You can also carry around a balloon animal or a small toy clown as a prop.

5. How can I act like a clown for Halloween?

To act like a clown for Halloween, try to embody the character with exaggerated movements and expressions. Clowns are known for being funny and entertaining, so be goofy and playful. You can also practice some classic clown tricks, such as juggling or balloon twisting, to add to your performance. Just remember to have fun and embrace the spirit of being a clown.