Should I always be careful about dimensional consistency?

• I
  • Thread starter Haorong Wu
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses an equation in a paper involving the momentum space wave function and the frequency in two dimensions. It also considers the dimensions of the various components in the equation and how they relate to each other. Ultimately, it is determined that the dimensions of ##G(\mathbf{k})## should be ##[m^2]## for the equation to be consistent. The discussion also touches on the dimensions of states and their conjugates.
Haorong Wu
TL;DR Summary
Will a dimensional inconsistency cause a problem?
I read an equation in a paper, $$\left | m \right >=\int G(\mathbf k) \left | \mathbf k \right > \frac {d^2 k}{4 \pi^2}$$ where ##G(\mathbf k)= \left < \mathbf k \right | \left . m \right >## is the momentum space wave function, ##k## is the two-dimensional frequency.

In this paper, ##\left | m \right >## is the transverse LG modes of a Gaussian beam, and it is dimensionless. Suppose ## \left | \mathbf k \right >## has a dimension of ##[m^l]##. Then from the definition of ##G(\mathbf k)##, it will have a dimension of ##[m^{-l}]##. But then the dimension of the equation will become ##[m^0]=[m^{-l+l-2}] ##, and that cause an inconsistency. Would it cause problems?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If ##G(\mathbf{k}) = \langle \mathbf{k}|m\rangle## and ##|m\rangle## is dimensionless, then ##G(\mathbf{k})## has the same dimensions as ##|\mathbf{k}\rangle##

stevendaryl said:
If ##G(\mathbf{k}) = \langle \mathbf{k}|m\rangle## and ##|m\rangle## is dimensionless, then ##G(\mathbf{k})## has the same dimensions as ##|\mathbf{k}\rangle##
Thanks. I got confused because ##G(\mathbf{k})## given by the paper is clearly dimensionless, so I am trying to find a balance in that equation. However, I just find that ##G(\mathbf{k})## should have the dimension of ##[m^2]## and everything works out.

Thanks!

Hi, @stevendaryl , do ##\left | k \right > ## has the same dimension as ##\left < k \right |##?

It depends on how you normalize your states. Obviously in this case you have the HEP/QFT convention, i.e.,
$$\langle \vec{k}|\vec{k}' \rangle=(2 \pi)^2 \delta^{(2)}(\vec{k}-\vec{k}')$$
since you seem to work in 2D. That's because in this community you usually use natural units with ##\hbar=c=1## and in Fourier transforms you want for each energy or momentum integral a factor ##1/(2 \pi)##.

This implies that ##|\vec{k} \rangle## as well as ##\langle \vec{k}|## have dimension ##1/\text{momentum}##, and the completeness relation reads
$$\int_{\mathbb{R}^2} \frac{\mathrm{d}^2 k}{(2 \pi)^3} |\vec{k} \rangle \langle \vec{k}|=\hat{1}.$$
So you can expand all Hilbert space vectors in terms of these generalized momentum eigenvectors
$$|m \rangle=\int_{\mathbb{R}^2} \mathrm{d}^2 k \frac{1}{(2 \pi)^3} |\vec{k} \rangle \langle \vec{k}|m \rangle.$$

Haorong Wu said:
Hi, @stevendaryl , do ##\left | k \right > ## has the same dimension as ##\left < k \right |##?
It's usually the case that for any state ##|\psi\rangle##, the conjugate state ##\langle \psi |## has the same dimensions. You can think of ##|\psi\rangle## as a kind of column matrix (with maybe an infinite number of rows), and ##\langle \psi |## is the result of turning the column into a row (taking the transpose) and taking the complex-conjugate: ##\langle \psi| = (|\psi\rangle^T)^*##

Likes Haorong Wu and vanhees71

Related to Should I always be careful about dimensional consistency?

1. Should I always be careful about dimensional consistency?

Yes, dimensional consistency is crucial in scientific research as it ensures that the units of measurement used in calculations and experiments are consistent and accurate. Failing to maintain dimensional consistency can lead to incorrect results and conclusions.

2. What is dimensional consistency?

Dimensional consistency refers to the use of consistent units of measurement in scientific calculations and experiments. This includes ensuring that all quantities have the same dimensions (e.g. length, time, mass) and using the correct conversion factors when necessary.

3. Why is dimensional consistency important in science?

Dimensional consistency is important because it allows for accurate and meaningful comparisons between different measurements and data. It also helps to avoid errors and inconsistencies in calculations, which can lead to incorrect conclusions and hinder scientific progress.

4. Are there any consequences of not maintaining dimensional consistency?

Yes, there can be serious consequences of not maintaining dimensional consistency in scientific research. This can include incorrect results, invalid conclusions, and even potential safety hazards if measurements are not accurately converted into the correct units.

5. How can I ensure dimensional consistency in my scientific work?

To ensure dimensional consistency, it is important to carefully check and double-check all units of measurement used in calculations and experiments. It can also be helpful to use conversion tables or software to ensure accuracy. Good record-keeping and communication with colleagues can also help to maintain dimensional consistency in collaborative research projects.