Should I retake Physics 1 before taking Physics 2 now that I have taken Calculus?

In summary, if you intend to major in physics, taking calculus-based Physics 1 is essential. You should also consider auditing Calc-based Physics 1 before taking Physics 2 to get a better understanding of the concepts.
C5F8576
Hi,

I took algebra-based Physics 1 (classical mechanics). I have taken up to Calc 2 and Linear Algebra, and I was wondering if it's ok to move on to calc-based Physics 2 (electromagnetism) or if I should take calc-based Physics 1.

I intend to major in physics and received an A- in Physics 1. My GPA is important to me as is having a strong foundation for upper level courses. Please advise.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
C5F8576 said:
I took algebra-based Physics 1 (classical mechanics). I have taken up to Calc 2 and Linear Algebra, and I was wondering if it's ok to move on to calc-based Physics 2 (electromagnetism) or if I should take calc-based Physics 1.
The correct alternative is enter the course for Calculus-based Physics 1.

Likes topsquark
Calc based physics 1. The calculus approach is how physicists actually solve the problems so you need it for a proper foundation.

• Informative
Likes symbolipoint and topsquark
C5F8576 said:
Hi,

I intend to major in physics and received an A- in Physics 1. My GPA is important to me as is having a strong foundation for upper level courses. Please advise.
Definitely calculus-based Physics 1. It is de rigeur as a strong foundation for upper level physics courses; and, since you've already been exposed to basic physics principles in algebra-based Physics 1 and have already completed Calculus 2, you should be well positioned to do better with respect to grades as well; hence, satisfying both of your goals.

But please clarify your situation. Are you a transfer student who took algebra-based Physics I at a different school (such as community college)? But if not, and you take both algebra-based Physics I and calculus-based Physics I at the same school, can you get credit for both? Did you decide on becoming a physics major only after taking algebra-based Physics I (otherwise, why didn't you take the calculus-based Physics I at the start)?

Likes topsquark
I don't think you really have a choice here. Passing calculus-based Physics I is normally a pre-requisite for calculus-based Physics II. I doubt the school will let you enroll in Physics II.

Likes Vanadium 50 and gwnorth
I agree - you probably don't have a choice.
You also may run into the problem that your school will not let you take both courses for credit. In that case, I would recommend auditing Calc-based Physics 1 before taking Physics 2, (If that option is available)

Likes berkeman

1. Should I retake Physics 1 if I have already taken Calculus?

No, it is not necessary to retake Physics 1 if you have already taken Calculus. Calculus is a prerequisite for Physics 2, so if you have successfully completed Calculus, you should have the necessary mathematical background to succeed in Physics 2.

2. Will retaking Physics 1 help me do better in Physics 2?

Retaking Physics 1 may help you perform better in Physics 2, but it is not guaranteed. If you struggled with certain concepts in Physics 1, retaking the course may give you a better understanding and make it easier for you in Physics 2. However, it is important to also review and practice the relevant concepts from Physics 1 on your own.

3. Can I skip Physics 1 and go straight to Physics 2 if I have taken Calculus?

No, it is not recommended to skip Physics 1 and go straight to Physics 2 even if you have taken Calculus. Physics 2 builds upon the concepts and principles learned in Physics 1, so it is important to have a strong foundation in Physics 1 before moving on to Physics 2.

4. Will taking Calculus help me in Physics 2?

Yes, taking Calculus can be very beneficial in Physics 2. Many of the concepts and equations in Physics 2 involve calculus, so having a good understanding of calculus will make it easier for you to understand and apply these concepts in Physics 2.

5. Is it possible to succeed in Physics 2 without taking Calculus?

It is possible to succeed in Physics 2 without taking Calculus, but it may be more challenging. Calculus is a prerequisite for Physics 2 for a reason, as many of the concepts and equations in Physics 2 involve calculus. If you have not taken Calculus, it is important to review and practice the relevant concepts on your own in order to be successful in Physics 2.