Should I Take 3 Upper Level Math Courses at Once?

• Thread starter SMA_01
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Confused
In summary, the individual is a third year undergrad math major with a minor in applied statistics and has already taken Abstract Algebra, Real Analysis 1, Introduction to Numerical Analysis, and Combinatorics. They are considering taking Elementary Number Theory, Function of Complex Var, and Stochastic Processes together and are seeking advice on whether it is a good idea or not. The course descriptions for each class are provided, but it is recommended to consult with their advisor and consider the difficulty of the courses and professor before making a decision. One person recommends taking Stochastic Processes, as it was a fun and fascinating class for them.
SMA_01
I am a third year undergrad math major with a minor in applied statistics, and have had a few upper level math courses already, these are the courses I have taken:

Abstract Algebra, Real Analysis 1, Introduction to Numerical Analysis, and Combinatorics.

I was planning on taking Elementary Number Theory this semester, as well as one other upper level math course. My school is offering Stochastic Processes and Function of a Complex Variable as well. I need to take Function of Complex Var, but I was really interested in taking Stochastic Processes as well. Would it be a good idea to take these 3 math classes together? Or should I stick to just two? Has anyone had experience with 3 upper level math courses?

Here are the course descriptions:

Elementary Number Theory
Properties of the integers, the division algorithm, Euclid's algorithm, Fermat's theorems, unique factorization of integers into primes, congruences, arithmetic functions, Diophantine equations, continued fractions, quadratic reciprocity.

Func of Complex Var
Complex number system. Functions of a complex variable, their derivatives and integrals. Taylor and Laurent series expansions. Residue theory and applications, elementary functions, conformal mapping, and applications to physical problems.

Stochastic Processes
Review of distribution theory. Introduction to stochastic processes, Markov chains and Markov processes, counting, and Poisson and Gaussian processes.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's hard to say, just from the course descriptions. Have you consulted your advisor? He/she will have a pretty good idea how much effort these classes require.

It's hard to say and varies widely from school to school. In my experience though, Elementary Number Theory is a bit repetitive after taking an abstract algebra course. You can probably self-study much of the topic. Also Complex VARIABLE, is typically just a calculus type class that shows you how to work on the complex plane, and is typically vastly different than a complex analysis class (which would be much much much harder.) Lastly, Stochastic processes, at the undergrad level, is usually never to hard simply because there's a limit as to what you can really expose people. I do highly recommend this course if you plan to do stats later on though.

With that said, as a math major, I took 3-4 math classes per semester my entire undergrad and did well. However, only you know your ability and the level of difficulty classes present. Listen to students who have taken the course or have taken a course with the professor scheduled to take it. For example, my Real Analysis class could've been a walk in the park with professor X or the most difficult class from professor Y.

I can recommend stochastic processes, I had it last semester and it was fun, intuitive and fascinating.

I would recommend that you carefully consider your workload and time management skills before deciding to take three upper level math courses at once. While it may seem tempting to take on the challenge and expand your knowledge in multiple areas, it is important to consider the potential consequences such as burnout, lower grades, and a lack of depth in understanding the material.

Based on your previous course experience and current interests, it seems that taking Elementary Number Theory and Function of Complex Variables together would be a good combination. These courses build upon your previous knowledge and also align with your minor in applied statistics. However, adding Stochastic Processes on top of these two may be overwhelming and may not align as closely with your interests and goals.

If you do decide to take all three courses, I would suggest carefully planning your schedule and seeking support from your professors and peers. Additionally, make sure you prioritize your workload and allocate enough time for each course to ensure a thorough understanding of the material. Ultimately, it is important to find a balance between challenging yourself and setting yourself up for success.

What does it mean to be "confused"?

Being confused means feeling uncertain or unsure about something. It can be a result of not understanding a situation, not having enough information, or conflicting thoughts or emotions.

Can everyone handle confusion?

Yes, everyone can handle confusion, but some people may handle it better than others. It depends on an individual's coping mechanisms, problem-solving skills, and support system.

How can I handle confusion effectively?

One way to handle confusion effectively is to take a step back and try to understand the situation. It can also be helpful to seek support from others, take breaks to clear your mind, and break down the problem into smaller, manageable parts.

What are the potential consequences of not handling confusion?

Not handling confusion can lead to stress, anxiety, and indecisiveness. It can also affect one's mental and emotional well-being, relationships, and decision-making abilities.

Is confusion always a bad thing?

No, confusion can sometimes be a good thing. It can lead to personal growth, learning, and problem-solving. It can also help us gain a better understanding of ourselves and the world around us.