Should I take AP Biology on top of my other science classes?

• Thread starter jbmiller
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Biology
In summary: For example, in biochemistry, you learn about the chemical reactions that occur in cells and how the cells use these reactions to function. This knowledge can be easily applied to the study of physiology, which is the study of how the cells work in different parts of the body.
jbmiller
Hey everyone,

I'm currently a freshman in high school and I'm taking Biology. I was wondering if taking the AP Biology next year would be a good idea. This would be on top of my two other science classes; Pre-AP Chem and Pre-AP Physics.

My current Biology classes is very easy. This is partially due to the fact that the teacher is awful. He gives us packets and has us just "figure" them out. We don't even have to do a single probelm on it and we automatically get a 100% on it. The test are very simple and require no knowledge of Biology. Just simple common sense. I have a solid A in Biology..

Would taking AP Biology be a good idea? The teacher would probably assume we've throughly learned the material needed as a prerequisite to AP Biology, which isn't the case.

My interest are in sciences, but not particulary in Biology, mainly Chemistry and Physics.

*Sorry for the horrid spelling and grammar. I wrote this whole thing and it suddenly just dissappeared...so I just kind of winged what I wrote above.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd say it's certainly worth taking, as long as it isn't bumping something out of your schedule that you'd rather take. High school is about getting a broad base of knowledge. You never know when it might come in useful.

Definitely worth taking if it won't bog you down too much. I've never heard of pre-AP classes (my high school couldn't even get regular AP classes) but I'm assuming they cannot be too difficult. I wouldn't worry about the teacher expecting too much from your previous class. A majority of the students will be from the same biology class you're in so the teacher will have to conform to the students knowledge.
A strong biology class in high school can be very helpful especially if you end up going into biology in college. If you choose the physical sciences, not only could you still be required to take college biology but there is many interesting application of the physical sciences in biology that could help solidify concepts learned in those classes.

Related to Should I take AP Biology on top of my other science classes?

1. Is biology a difficult subject to study?

The level of difficulty in studying biology can vary from person to person. Some may find it challenging, while others may find it relatively easy. It also depends on your interest and dedication towards the subject.

2. What career opportunities are available for biology majors?

Biology offers a wide range of career opportunities, including research, healthcare, environmental conservation, education, and more. Some specific job titles include biologist, genetic counselor, microbiologist, wildlife biologist, and medical scientist.

3. Do I need a strong background in math and chemistry to excel in biology?

While a background in math and chemistry can be helpful in understanding certain concepts in biology, it is not necessary to excel in the subject. Biology focuses more on understanding biological processes and systems rather than complex mathematical equations.

4. Can studying biology help me understand current global issues?

Yes, studying biology can help you understand current global issues such as climate change, disease outbreaks, and species extinction. Biology provides a framework for understanding the interconnectedness of living organisms and their impact on the environment.

5. How can studying biology benefit me in my everyday life?

Studying biology can benefit you in your everyday life by helping you understand your own body and health, making informed decisions about nutrition and exercise, and understanding the impact of human activities on the environment. It also helps improve critical thinking and problem-solving skills.