Should the Reactions Count Include Quotes of a Post?

• Thread starter BillTre
  • Start date
In summary, reactions are the sum of various options available from the "Like" button, including "skeptical" and "sad". Using a quote from a post does not count as a reaction, but it is a form of reaction to the post. The available reaction icons are limited and could potentially be expanded. However, on homework threads, the back-and-forth dialogue between the OP and other members may not be counted as reactions.
BillTre
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Reactions (as I understand the counting is done) is the sum of various options available from the "Like" button.
I think that using a quote from a post should also count as a reaction, since it is, in fact, a reaction to the post, and would not happen without it.

Likes Bystander and berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Interesting idea. In one sense it's analogous to the number of "citations" of a paper, but OTOH, a quote here at PF could be to say "good point" or to say "that's nutz!" :smile:

Likes BillTre
A "that's nutz" text comment seems entirely equivalent, to me, to the Like button reaction choice of "skeptical", which is counted as a reaction and is similar in meaning to "that's nutz".

• Informative
  • Skeptical
Likes PeroK and berkeman
Hmm, I did not know that. So a "like" reaction counts the same as a "skeptical" reaction? Yikes!

Likes BillTre
Its like for politicians:
Bad reactions are not bad if they are reactions (since all media mentions are good (usually)).

• Skeptical
Likes berkeman
There is no bad publicity! It is the backbone of civilization as we know it..

• Skeptical
Likes berkeman and BillTre
Just trying to pump up the reaction scores for you guys...

• Haha
Likes BillTre
I was thinking. just loving the skeptical choice all of a sudden.

I occasionally say stupid things but perhaps I should try harder!
More seriously I would point out that direct citation is often accompanied by a reaction skeptical or otherwise. I enjoy being skeptical when I'm not really sure...

Likes BillTre
hutchphd said:
I occasionally say stupid things but perhaps I should try harder!
No, no, no. You're doing fine... :oldeyes:

• Haha
Likes phinds and hutchphd
1626739189244.png

As I understand it, a member's like count or "reaction count" includes only the first 4, but not the last 2. Number 5 (wow) I don't know.

It would make sense if the last 2 disapproval added -1 to the count, but I think they count as zero.

@Greg Bernhardt can give us the authoritative answer.

• Skeptical
Likes BillTre and berkeman
anorlunda said:
View attachment 286232
As I understand it, a member's like count or "reaction count" includes only the first 4, but not the last 2. Number 5 (wow) I don't know.

It would make sense if the last 2 disapproval added -1 to the count, but I think they count as zero.

@Greg Bernhardt can give us the authoritative answer.

If you go to the reactions received part under your "MY PF" you will see them all listed equally as reactions, and the numbers of each category for you.

• Wow
Likes anorlunda and Bystander
BillTre said:
If you go to the reactions received part under your "MY PF" you will see them all listed equally as reactions, and the numbers of each category for you.
Woo-hoo! So that's where all of my Reactions were coming from. Hah, and I was sweating all of those sad/skeptical comments.

BillTre said:
Thanks, I didn't know about that.

BillTre said:
The sum that's shown in posts and the profile only covers the positive ones, however. There is a slight discrepancy, probably from deleted posts or similar, but I checked how the counter changes when you give these different reactions.
"Wow", "sad" and "skeptical" don't count.

• Informative
  • Wow
Likes dextercioby, phinds, PeroK and 1 other person
"Wow" does count?
That doesn't make sense.
I consider "Wow" to be positive.

• Wow
Likes Vanadium 50 and PeroK
BillTre said:
Reactions (as I understand the counting is done) is the sum of various options available from the "Like" button.
I think that using a quote from a post should also count as a reaction, since it is, in fact, a reaction to the post, and would not happen without it.
(1)
Member could choose to make a quote and say what he wants to say in a new post, about the post, along with choosing one of the reaction icons.

(2)
The available Reaction icons is limited; maybe a few more can be put into the forum.

Likes BillTre
BillTre said:
A "that's nutz" text comment seems entirely equivalent, to me, to the Like button reaction choice of "skeptical", which is counted as a reaction and is similar in meaning to "that's nutz".
You had a reaction score of 4505 before I reacted sceptically to this claim. You still have 4505.

Which is good going for a mere 1800+ posts!

Likes sysprog and BillTre
BillTre said:
"Wow" does count?
That doesn't make sense.
I consider "Wow" to be positive.
Still 4505, despite my wow!

Likes pbuk and sysprog
BillTre said:
To give a serious answer. On the homework threads, the OP's posts are almost always replied to with the next comment, hint, correction. To take an example:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...ing-beam-in-two-different-directions.1005257/

What would be the point of counting all that toing and froing over a homework problem?

Likes dextercioby, sysprog and BillTre
PeroK said:
You had a reaction score of 4505 before I reacted sceptically to this claim. You still have 4505.

Which is good going for a mere 1800+ posts!
Posts in the lounge (including general discussion) don't increase the counter, but likes there do.

Likes dextercioby
mfb said:
Posts in the lounge (including general discussion) don't increase the counter, but likes there do.
I have noticed that anomaly too.

Ivan Seeking said:
I used to have over 10,000 posts but as some point Greg changed the way the count is done.
I was going to use the sad icon, but that wouldn't have added to your like count; and I thought losing all those posts was bad enough!

• Haha
Likes dextercioby, Ivan Seeking, BillTre and 1 other person
Ivan Seeking said:
I used to have over 10,000 posts but as some point Greg changed the way the count is done.
Changed how? Mostly just curious and @Greg Bernhardt can likely answer if you don't

Nugatory said:
Changed how? Mostly just curious and @Greg Bernhardt can likely answer if you don't
Nothing comes to mind, but since Ivan has been around since near the beginning, there may have been some platform changes that affected counts early on.

Likes Ivan Seeking
PeroK said:
To give a serious answer. On the homework threads, the OP's posts are almost always replied to with the next comment, hint, correction. To take an example:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...ing-beam-in-two-different-directions.1005257/

What would be the point of counting all that toing and froing over a homework problem?
To answer this question, I would consider anything that promotes positive interactions on the site a positive. therefore, it would be reasonable to have quotes and counter-quotes to count positively.
This would also provide a positivity boost to those laboring so selflessly in the homework sections.

Nugatory said:
I think a bunch of my posts were no longer counted after I left and the S&D forum was eventually eliminated.

Likes dextercioby
Greg Bernhardt said:
Nothing comes to mind, but since Ivan has been around since near the beginning, there may have been some platform changes that affected counts early on.

Yeah, things back then got a little dicey. But when I retired I think my post count was still over 10k. I thought it was the elimination of S&D that did it since the posts were moved into GD.

• Informative
Likes dextercioby and Greg Bernhardt
PeroK said:
I have noticed that anomaly too.
Not an anomaly, that's the intended behavior.

Trophies cannot be lost and the conditions can change over time, so we have some users with trophies they wouldn't newly get now. The 8000 likes trophy was originally at 5000 or so and many people with 5000-8000 got it, and kept it when the requirement was raised to 8000. Most of them reached 8000 in the meantime.

Likes dextercioby
mfb said:
Not an anomaly, that's the intended behavior.
That's precisely what an anomaly is!

Anomaly:

an odd, peculiar, or strange condition, situation, quality, etc.

an incongruity or inconsistency.

Anomalies may be intentional or unintended.

Ivan Seeking said:
I think a bunch of my posts were no longer counted after I left and the S&D forum was eventually eliminated.
S&D?

pinball1970 said:
S&D?

That was the forum I ran for about ten years - Skepticism and Debunking

• Wow
Likes Wrichik Basu, pinball1970 and PeroK
Ivan Seeking said:
That was the forum I ran for about ten years - Skepticism and Debunking
Must have been a really difficult task.

• Haha
Likes Ivan Seeking