Should we brace for a stock market crash?

• Thread starter Jarvis323
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Crash
In summary, there is a lot of talk about the risk of a major stock market crash in the near future. Economists have predicted 9 of the last 5 recessions. Should we brace for a stock market crash? There is other commentary about inflation persisting to correcting, and predictions that the Federal Reserve will drive down interest rates. What to believe. There is a lot of talk about the risk of a major stock market crash in the near future.
Physics news on Phys.org
Jarvis323 said:
here is a lot of talk about the risk of a major stock market crash in the near future.
Has there ever been a time when that was not true?

Likes Algr, DaveE, nsaspook and 3 others
Economists have predicted 9 of the last 5 recessions.

• Love
  • Haha
Likes Mondayman, Wrichik Basu, nsaspook and 7 others
Jarvis323 said:
Should we brace for a stock market crash?
Yes&no.

Yes: stocks are high and there are signs of grown bubbles. As part of the 'business as usual' (!), a crash might happen anytime.

No: I know some guys who cried wolf on every dip for a decade by now. Should they just went with the trend, they would be rich by now.

Jarvis323 said:
There is a lot of talk about the risk of a major stock market crash in the near future.

https://www.businessinsider.com/sto...-2023-us-economy-avoids-recession-2022-11?amp

Are you bracing for this, and if so how?
I think Business Insider tends to be alarmist on such matters. There are up and downs.

When I read a story like the one cited, I wonder of some are trying to manipulate the market, i.e., scare investors into dumping stock, which drives down the prices, which some then scoop up at a discount. Clearly, if enough investors lose confidence, then it may be come a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I've seen stories about the market crashing to the market rebounding in 2023. There is other commentary about inflation persisting to correcting, and predictions that the Federal Reserve will drive down interest rates.

What to believe. One could simply sell equities on days their price goes up, and sit out the market for weeks, months, through next year? One could try and guess the sentiment, assuming one has confidence of whatever information is at hand and try to determine based on historical performance, which has some uncertainty (or uncertain uncertainty).

Likes russ_watters
Jarvis323 said:
There is a lot of talk about the risk of a major stock market crash in the near future.

https://www.businessinsider.com/sto...-2023-us-economy-avoids-recession-2022-11?amp
The article doesn't say a crash is coming, it just says the bear market could slow-roll for a while and the market could end up down another 30-40%. That's based on the current p/e ratio vs the historical average. It's a decent bet, but not guaranteed. For whatever reason though it feels like it's already down more than it is (17%). But we have a long way to go to compare to 2008 or 2000, and I don't see reason to believe we'll get there.
Are you bracing for this, and if so how?
The same way I always do, using the technique most investment managers recommend: I'm ignoring it.

Likes Mondayman, Wrichik Basu, Vanadium 50 and 2 others
There could be, there might be; If we get enough people thinking about a bear market then we will have a bear market we'll just queue up and jump off the cliff. Who wants the market to go down? Warren Buffet wouldn't mind, remember his quote; “Be Fearful When Others Are Greedy and Greedy When Others Are Fearful”.

If you are speculating then speculate, if you are investing, sit tight and think about other things.

Likes DaveE
Will there be a downturn. Yup.
Will it happen soon? Who knows.
Are there factors both for and against it happening soon? You betcha.

All we can do is invest assuming that it will go up and go down and try not to get into a spot where knowing what will happen is critical to your goals.

I am of course talking about stocks. Stonks, on the other hand, only go up!

Vanadium 50 said:
Stonks, on the other hand, only go up!
TIL a new word! :smile:

Vanadium 50 said:
Stonks, on the other hand, only go up!
Strange. I think this operational version is designed to then go down. :wink:

STONK noun​

ˈstäŋk
plural -s
: a heavy concentration of artillery fire
call for a good stonk about five hours before our assault Infantry Journal

Compliments of: (https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/stonk)

• Informative
Likes russ_watters and Bystander
Tom.G said:
heavy concentration of artillery fire
Not so much of a problem so long as "stonks only go up".

Trying to time the market is a bad idea. That's just Investing 101. If you think you can figure it out by reading a published article then you're too late. The market will have already reacted. If you think you can figure it out ahead of everyone else you're just gambling.

There are good reasons to be concerned about the trajectory of the stock market in the coming years. But that was true at the start of the pandemic too. And it was true before then. To eliminate risk you sell everything but then you risk being run over by inflation. So you have to find a balance.

I sold some things at those two times. I would have made more on paper had I not made those sales. But for me it was the right decision to reduce my investment risk in those areas. I don't regret it even though my net worth is less than it would have been had I done nothing.

Investing 101 again: Figure out what level of risk is right for you. Consider the current economic environment as part of that but not the only thing, probably not the main thing. And then adjust your investments accordingly.

Take a basic class on investing at a community college. Or get a good book and read it.

JT Smith said:
If you think you can figure it out ahead of everyone else you're just gambling.
You make it sound like gambling is inherently bad. It's not bad if you can tilt the odds in your favor. The problem is that takes considerable time and effort, but it can be done. Peter Lynch was really good at it when he ran the Magellan Fund. In his books, he noted all of his picks didn't work out, but enough did so he could consistently beat the market.

Most people, however, don't have the time nor the inclination to research stocks, so their best bet is to just buy and hold index funds. The important thing is to be in the market rather than waiting on the sidelines trying to find the perfect time to enter.

Likes russ_watters
Astronuc said:
I think Business Insider tends to be alarmist on such matters.
Bad news sells. "If it bleeds, it leads".

Looking at the title, I do not believe that I am better to predict a bear market than people who get paid lots of money to do so, and that's their full time job., I just don't. Further, bear markets happen. So the best strategy is to be prepared for one - which means, as much as possible, to continue to invest regardless of whether it is going up or going down and stay close to my optimum asset allocation.

Will bad times be bad? Probably. That's why they are called that. It's best not to "brace for a stock market crash" but to "be braced for a stock market crash".

1. What are the warning signs of a potential stock market crash?

Some of the warning signs of a potential stock market crash include a prolonged period of economic growth, high levels of debt, overvalued stocks, and a significant increase in market volatility.

2. How can we prepare for a stock market crash?

One way to prepare for a stock market crash is to diversify your investment portfolio. This means investing in a variety of different assets such as stocks, bonds, and real estate. It is also important to have an emergency fund and to avoid taking on too much debt.

3. What causes a stock market crash?

A stock market crash can be caused by a variety of factors, including economic downturns, political instability, natural disasters, and unexpected events such as a pandemic. It can also be triggered by a chain reaction of panic selling among investors.

4. Is it possible to predict a stock market crash?

While it is not possible to predict a stock market crash with certainty, there are certain indicators and patterns that can give investors an idea of potential risks. However, it is important to remember that the stock market is unpredictable and even the most experienced investors cannot accurately predict a crash.

5. What should I do if there is a stock market crash?

If there is a stock market crash, it is important to stay calm and avoid making any rash decisions. It may be tempting to sell all your investments, but this can often lead to losses. Instead, it is best to stick to your long-term investment strategy and avoid making any drastic changes. It may also be a good idea to consult with a financial advisor for personalized advice.